The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

What is Leeds Uni and surroundings like...?

I am considering Leeds University has a highly potential Clearing university...as it offers the kind of course I am looking for..(Management with work placement)...and was wondering if someone would tell me what the uni and the surrouding area is like...

Honestly...stereotypical mates of mine have said "don't go there...its next to Bradford...and its rough..etc etc.." ...but I wanted to hear the opinion of people there...and as I won't get the chance to visit Leeds in the next few weeks...I thought the next best thing would be to ask TSR students who are there or have visited...

Having researched a bit myself...one bad point that seemes to stick out was the fact that the burglary rate/ crime was double that of the national rate...etc etc...

What is it like a place at night...for example...during second year...you would have found private accomodation...and say you are walking at midnight...is it a safe place..?

Your info would be much appreciated...:smile:
Reply 1
I would recommend Leeds Uni to anyone. Its a well respected uni and the city is great. there is nightlife to suit everyones tastes, every night of the week and the shopping is amazing! I'm currently about to start my second year at Leeds and have just started renting a house in hyde park. yes its dangerous but i can't think of one city in the world that doesn't have a relatively high crime rate. leeds is high because there are 3 unis (=more drunken silly students.) student areas have more crime such as burglary because most students are too hammered to lock their front door or close windows at night and as such its like an invitation for crime. but if your careful and have some street sense i doubt u will encounter any of this. i've never had any problem in leeds on nights out etc...apart from drunken ppl but they r usually harmless. i wouldn't let ppl put you off of leeds!
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
If your friends think leeds is rough then they have led very sheltered lives. It is nothing like they have suggested. By saying "its next to bradford" do they actually think you can walk from one city to the other???? Bradford has the same affect on leeds as London, which is **** all!

Crime figures are high because students are dumb and leave things lying around and doors/ windows unlocked. That is not to say the place is dangerous!

Hyde park isnt dangerous either!lol

Your more vulnerable walking around on your own anywhere but if you are with a few people then Hyde park/ Headingly isnt a problem at all.

As said previously its a great place that suits every one.
Reply 3
GEETHAN- i live near leeds and it is awsum area!! so nothing to worry about!
i am going in sept to do management- hopefully if get the grades. But when i went on the open day to the business school- they said that their business school does not go into clearing so u might not be able to get in thecourse!! so i would ring up and check! let me kno how it goes.
Reply 4
Thanks guys! Much appreciated! Like I said I...I wanted to hear opinions of those who are there and have visited the place, rather than to those who have "heard" things...like my mates.

Well it definately sounds like a good place..but Negzxxx's comment has put it off now...will wait and see if it goes into Clearing...

Still a high potential...

Once again...cheerz all! :smile: (Will +rep you all when I get around to doing it...)

:smile:

Latest