This discussion is closed.
non-centrally acting
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Raindance)
Any thoughts?

We're likely to get CSKA Sofia, given that we are 3-1 and 2-0 up respectively in the first leg. Bulgarian Champions, which doesn't sound too intimidating in itself; they only lost once in their league all last season, scoring over 80 goals and conceding only 16. As long as we approach the game as Benitez has done for the past two ties, there shouldn't be any problems. Everton, however, seem to have drawn the hardest tie down from Internazionale or perhaps us.

Oh well, at least you get a short trip to sunny Spain, whilst we get more money! :cool:
I don't care about the scottish teams but i think everton have got the toughest match. I think liverpool should qualify with no problem and hopefully united will Can't seem to trust united these day.
fernando
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
everton will have to play the away fixture first due to security/policing issues in Liverpool
Rainy
Badges: 14
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by fernando)
everton will have to play the away fixture first due to security/policing issues in Liverpool
Eek... they'll get slaughtered away. I seem to remember Villarreal losing only one game at home - beating Barcelona 3-0 there too. If they have any chance, they really have to learn some keep ball, because from what I've seen, Villarreal are very good in possession, and players like Riquelme will hurt them. At the same time, they're hardly a one man team and at the end of the day, they are a very fast, skillful side who are comfortable on the ball. I've watched a few of their La Liga games, and believe me when I say that this is Champions' League opposition.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
chelsea play DC United in 40 mins

doesnt DC United have that great youth player Freddy Adu?
We won 2-1 with Crespo getting the winner. And all those DC United fans saying they will win because they never lost to an English side before, well, there's a first for everything.

Apparently Peter Kenyon has left Lyon and gone to the USA. I wonder why. :eek:
Ziggy Stardust
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Eek... they'll get slaughtered away. I seem to remember Villarreal losing only one game at home - beating Barcelona 3-0 there too.
Obviously that was cos they had Reina in goal, eh?
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Apparently Peter Kenyon has left Lyon and gone to the USA. I wonder why. :eek:
Abramovich wants to buy the Washington Redskins? :cool:
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Even better, i'd rather we played away first anyway. Can imagine us needing to get a goal at Goodison to send us through, the Gwladys Street end would practically suck the ball into the net..
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by afireinside©)
Obviously that was cos they had Reina in goal, eh?
Probably would have helped, but their mainstay is apparently their attack, rather than their defense.
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Probably would have helped, but their mainstay is apparently their attack, rather than their defense.
Forlan? :rofl: Didn't quite impress against english teams in the Premier League, well, apart from a couple of goals against Liverpool.. :cool:
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Abramovich wants to buy the Washington Redskins? :cool:
DC United are based in Washington state are they? :p:
goldenbarnes
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Eek... they'll get slaughtered away. I seem to remember Villarreal losing only one game at home - beating Barcelona 3-0 there too. If they have any chance, they really have to learn some keep ball, because from what I've seen, Villarreal are very good in possession, and players like Riquelme will hurt them. At the same time, they're hardly a one man team and at the end of the day, they are a very fast, skillful side who are comfortable on the ball. I've watched a few of their La Liga games, and believe me when I say that this is Champions' League opposition.
We coped with them quite well last season, the only difference between the two sides clinical finishing on their part. And like the whole of last season we had about 8 injured first teamers, so I expect Everton to be able to cope with them and at least restrict them to just the one goal away. I'd favour Everton to get through - they're well equipped to deal with Villareal's counter attacking short passing. And they're suspect in defence, so if Beattie/Bent/Ferguson can manage to finish better than Szilard 'miss an open goal' Nemeth they should be able to grab one themselves. And something tells me Villareal will hate playing at Goodison. Not the best, but certailny not the worst draw they could have got imo.

And for any Everton fans wanting to go to the away leg - get in Valencia the night before, go to Villareal and you'll be able to buy a ticket there in the home end (if you haven't got one in the away end - but they can't sell them the day of the match, so go before). Then spend the nighttime in Valencia with the sexy young ladies and the day in the close to Villareal town of Castellon. And take beer (in cans) to Villareal, it's a small town with no shops.
SideView
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Forlan? :rofl: Didn't quite impress against english teams in the Premier League, well, apart from a couple of goals against Liverpool.. :cool:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...al/4593173.stm
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
And who was he playing for? When you've a team who are willing to play around and to you, of course you'll be dangerous. He also had no confidence playig for the scum, and I'd much rather have Diego Forlan than Duncan Ferguson. All of this "well he'll be playing against premiership defences" is *******s, especially as he's a big player. Let's not forget that your defense hardly sets the world on fire, it just balances your incredibly inept attack.

(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
DC United are based in Washington state are they? :p:
No idea, I don't follow American football, or American Football for that matter. It was the only club I could think of who weren't from Tampa Bay. Manchester Bucaneers kept springing to mind.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No idea, I don't follow American football, or American Football for that matter. It was the only club I could think of who weren't from Tampa Bay. Manchester Bucaneers kept springing to mind.
LOL. Nah they're both from Washington DC. :eek:
oblivious
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i have full confidence in scraping a win!
Lil' Miss Smiley
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The footy season is almost upon us and so for any latecomers to our own Football Predictors Society, please follow link.

Soon to start see link

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...59#post2651259

Thanks
cindy x
non-centrally acting
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by oblivious)
i have full confidence in scraping a win!
i don't but it will be a good laugh if everton do get kicked out!
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by darth_vader05)
i don't but it will be a good laugh if everton do get kicked out!
No, even as a red, I want them through. They deserve their chance, they've worked for it, and now it's their reward to line up alongside the best europe have to offer. It's a fantastic opportunity to have 5 english clubs in the Champions' League finals, and I'm anticipating one of the best competitions yet. As long as none of the others, but us, win it of course!
non-centrally acting
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No, even as a red, I want them through. They deserve their chance, they've worked for it, and now it's their reward to line up alongside the best europe have to offer. It's a fantastic opportunity to have 5 english clubs in the Champions' League finals, and I'm anticipating one of the best competitions yet. As long as none of the others, but us, win it of course!
I want them through aswell becasue the more english teams the better, but i think i'll have to get used to the idea of everton....
I think they do deserve it because after selling rooney everyone dismissed them and they play with real discipline. (can i stop praising everton now!) :p:
jamlan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ed/4726855.stm
Doesn't he realise that he shouldn't have attacked Kieran Dyer? Doesn't he know that he brought shame on himself and on the club he supposedly gives his all for? Is he so short sighted as to not realise that he's incredibly lucky to still be playing for Newcastle and the only reason they didn't sell him was because the other clubs know he's more trouble than he's worth?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (167)
19.17%
Labour (444)
50.98%
Liberal Democrats (117)
13.43%
Green Party (49)
5.63%
Brexit Party (13)
1.49%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.46%
SNP (15)
1.72%
Plaid Cymru (4)
0.46%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
0.69%
SDLP (1)
0.11%
Ulster Unionist (4)
0.46%
UKIP (9)
1.03%
Other (7)
0.8%
None (31)
3.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise