The Ultimate Football Thread

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Rainy
Badges: 15
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
True. Mainly because there was no serious opposition to Chelsea's takeover whereas there was with yours and the stigma of the Americans is also there.
Chelsea had never been a dominant force and you could only progress, whereas the general Manc thinks the takeover will be bad for the club. Manchester Utd was a plc, which didn't help, whilst Ken Bates was rubbing his hands in glee once Abramovich came on the scene.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Raindance)
Chelsea had never been a dominant force and you could only progress, whereas the general Manc thinks the takeover will be bad for the club. Manchester Utd was a plc, which didn't help, whilst Ken Bates was rubbing his hands in glee once Abramovich came on the scene.
Ah but some people didn't like change. After poor spending on Bates' behalf we needed the takeover and Abramovich got a cut priced football club that was progressing well albeit fairly slowly.
Economist
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Arsenal 2 - 1 Porto. Not a great performance but a win is a win. Quite lucky to win in the end after some shambolic defending by, no surprises, Pascal Cygan. Senderos didnt have a great game either but being young and relatively inexperienced I think he performs better when partnered with a well established coordinated centre back like Kolo rather than the muppet that is Cygan. Everyone else was pretty average to be honest. Hleb did show some signs that he could pose a great threat in the upcoming season. Reyes was poor again which is a real shame, just hope he can find his feet this year.
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
Ah but some people didn't like change. After poor spending on Bates' behalf we needed the takeover and Abramovich got a cut priced football club that was progressing well albeit fairly slowly.
I didn't hear people complaining? :s:
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Raindance)
I didn't hear people complaining? :s:
There were but it was a very small amount of people. Can't say that they're complaining now though.
Jump
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
There were but it was a very small amount of people. Can't say that they're complaining now though.
Alot of my mates were pessimistic about the takeover, e.g. "if a team no longer has any of the same staff or players is it the same team?" and "will it ruin the club spirit?", although I think Chelsea have been very sensible to ensure the likes of John Terry are at the heart of the team, to beat of any cynics.
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
Well there's nowt they can do about it. If most of the original supporters were for the takeover, swelled in numbers by the glory hunters, they had no chances of protest. The media were intrigued by Abramovich and his intentions, so no critique was ever made of the situation.
Seabiscuit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well if somebody offers to come round your club and buy every player you'd love for the team, theres not a lot who would argue with that. Spurs fans are kicking themselves now after Daniel Levy turned him down...
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Seabiscuit)
Well if somebody offers to come round your club and buy every player you'd love for the team, theres not a lot who would argue with that. Spurs fans are kicking themselves now after Daniel Levy turned him down...
I wouldn't be too happy, no. I'm capable of doing that myself, by spending £30 and a few hours of my time on Football Manager. We've had bids tables from human rights abusers, a hollywood consortium, and even Morgan - a self-proclaimed 'fan', looking to squeeze as much from LFC as he could get his mits on. The Moores family has done a lot for the club, he's a good chairman, and we're not financially dependant on a dubious businessman who views the club as his plaything. Talented mercenaries do not equal a football club's soul.
Ronaldinho_88
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Michael Owen is probably going to move to Man United. Watch out, Chelsea !
Onearmedbandit
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Dammit! Why does this always happen to us!? 2 strikers injured, one of whom is Lualua, before the season even starts! :mad:

goldenbarnes
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Onearmedbandit)
Dammit! Why does this always happen to us!? 2 strikers injured, one of whom is Lualua, before the season even starts! :mad:

What about Yakubu?

:p:
fernando
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
anyone know the score of Chelsea - Milan?
goldenbarnes
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
0-0 59 minutes in.
fernando
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by goldenbarnes)
0-0 59 minutes in.
cheers
Kuz
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well, I would have thought Libya would hate Britain and possibly Egypt. Sudan could hate the US because of Clinton's orders to destroy what he thought was a nuclear factory when it clearly wasn't. What I meant to say was do each African countries have hate relationships with one another? For example, Senegal and the Ivory Coast?
Yeah true North and East African Countries possibly hate the US and Britain. There isn't hate relations in life as in football. Where footballs concerned there is neighbourly rivalry, like Nigeria Vs Ghana matches are taken tres serious lol! And bigger countries like Ghana, Nigeria, South Africa, Cameroon etc... take a profound offence at being beaten by little countries (both in size and economically) like Togo, Libya etc...
streetfighter
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Chelsea - Milan update, spoilerified incase you dont want to know.

Spoiler:
Show
Make that 1-0 chelsea, and Drogba scored it :eek: :p:
he got lucky to get through but a nicely taken goal
fernando
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by streetfighter)
Chelsea - Milan update, spoilerified incase you dont want to know.

Spoiler:
Show
Make that 1-0 chelsea, and Drogba scored it :eek: :p:
he got lucky to get through but a nicely taken goal
1 a piece now
Jump
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by fernando)
1 a piece now
who scored?
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Ronaldinho_88)
Michael Owen is probably going to move to Man United. Watch out, Chelsea !
If he does go there.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (58)
19.21%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (64)
21.19%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (58)
19.21%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (64)
21.19%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (29)
9.6%
I haven't started researching yet (29)
9.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise