The Ultimate Football Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Rainy
Badges: 14
Report 14 years ago
3-1 Liverpool.

Nice to see our strikers bag the goals instead of the "midfield maestro" - Cisse demonstrated his finishing prowess, and Morientes bagged two goals for the icing on the cake. That said, Gerrard was once again the inspiration, and he really made things work. We could have played better, but we did the job well, and seeing Morientes's second brace of the two seasons is sweet. Defo a good away performance, given the emotions surrounding the Shields case. We look hot, will be up for the Premiership from the word go, and the home leg should be a relative formality.

EDIT: I forgot the highlight of the match commentary:

(Original post by Graham Taylor)
When Cisse opens his legs he's very hard to handle
EDIT x2: Bless his little cottons...

JoeFen
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Not pretty, but a job done which was what was needed away from home.
If they had an end product, we'd have been in danger for sure - let's hope they don't find that at Anfield because they have a few tidy midfield players and their wingers showed good movement.

Apart from his goals, Morientes looked much better. More involved than usual and he seemed like he wanted the ball which is quite new. Hope it kick-starts him for the Premiership and also for group stages should we get through.

Our defence is still pretty *****, though - Hyypia needs replacing and fast.
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
Cisse's a monster... gonna eat all of yers next season! :proud:
JoeFen
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The lad does look very strong indeed. And the goal he scored was with his left foot, very scary indeed.

(That said the keeper was *****)
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by JoeFen)
The lad does look very strong indeed. And the goal he scored was with his left foot, very scary indeed.

(That said the keeper was *****)
Aye, that he was. He just looks so ****ing hungry at the moment, and he's making all the right noises. It's all so simple, through ball, shift up a few gears, pick out a shot, bang. I can imagine Cisse + target man terrorising any Premiership defense next season. Picture him and Crouch - how to you defend against them? Defend so deep to keep Peter as far away from goal as possible, and risk Cisse running riot? Or keep it so tight at the back that Cisse has no place to go, and risk the targetman getting a clear chance. 'Tis genius, I tells yer - especially given the vision of Xabi and the form of Gerrard.

Nice save from Pepe at the end, btw.
JoeFen
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I was drunk by the end of the game so my eyes were elsewhere but Pepe looked pretty safe all game.

I'm a bit wary of Crouchy and Cisse together - fair play the worked well for the goal against Kaunas but they were a very average european side. Having seen Moro play well tonight I would prefer that partnership with Crouchy alternating given our hectic schedule.

Cisse is a first on the teamsheet though for me, his recovery has been little short of a miracle.

What are your thoughts on the left hand side? Warnock + Riise? Warnock + Zenden? Riise + Zenden or Traore + Riise?
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
I was drunk by the end of the game so my eyes were elsewhere but Pepe looked pretty safe all game.

I'm a bit wary of Crouchy and Cisse together - fair play the worked well for the goal against Kaunas but they are a very average european side. Having seen Moro play well tonight I would prefer that partnership with Crouchy alternating given our hectic schedule.

Cisse is a first on the teamsheet though for me, his recovery has been little short of a miracle.

What are your thoughts on the left hand side? Warnock + Riise? Warnock + Zenden? Riise + Zenden or Traore + Riise?
I was slowly descending into alcoholic stupor, but the pub was almost empty... silly southerners. Reina seems to be a quality buy. Great stopper, apparently, but also commands the box unlike any of our recent keepers.

Fair play about Crouch, but I disagree. He offers a lot up front, although being 6'7 helps, although he's not as accomplished a header of the ball as Morientes. As it is, Morientes has always shined on the European stage, whereas Crouch was bought with the Premiership in mind. I expect Rafa to use them that way, partnering Cisse (rotating with Baros, if he stays). I really feel that we have a very strong attacking line.

Still, IMO, need a RW and CH, although Whitbred is looking tasty. As for our left side, I'd really consider giving Warnock a run in left defense. Any positioning difficulties of before seem to have been ironed out, and as well as his defending his service is also very good. I wouldn't really contemplate Riise at LB any more, I think he'd leave us too vulnerable with the gaps he creates. Then again, he runs tirelessly and always puts in 100%. Zenden is also a very useful player. At the end of the day, Rafa's idea of squad rotation will come into place.
JoeFen
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yes definately, his rotation of the squad thus far has been spot on.

Whitbred is ***** honestly, I've watched a few reserves game when I've been up in Liverpool to see family and he looked dire. Kaunas made him look good because they did sweet f.a. I mean christ anyone can play a pass to the RB, LB or fellow CB if you are playing centre-half.

I'm glad Baros didn't play tonight, I hope we get him shipped out pretty quick as funds for the positions you highlighted are much needed.

Warnock's attituded is spot on and thats why he could be the answer to LB, that and the gaps you mentioned Riise leaves. Hell, at least we have a choice of players to choose from rather than the injury chaos we had last year!
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
I'm glad Baros didn't play tonight, I hope we get him shipped out pretty quick as funds for the positions you highlighted are much needed.
Maybe, but I still reckon we'll be up **** creek if Cisse get's injured, and even the Lord of Frodsham can't play every match. Baros, although sometimes an infuriating moaner, is something special to salivate over. Just think about his form at the beginning of last season and for the Czechs? Alongside a targetman (a la Jan Koller - 6'7... bear any resemblance to someone) he could shine. Sinama could slot in, but he's still young and inexperienced, and hasn't yet featured in many games considering his injury. Talking about Pongolle, perhaps we should give him a try on the RW? Fast, skills, awareness, not a bad crosser of the ball. Everyone laughed when Henry was moved in from the wing, then look what happened! Maybe we could try the reverse...
JoeFen
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Perhaps but I think too many supporters have turned against him and the ElBoss clearly has little time for him.

I was a big fan of him but I think his demise has accelerated since the Merseyside derby at Anfield.

Anyways, good talking to you about the mighty reds. T'ra.
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
Anyways, good talking to you about the mighty reds. T'ra.
Ditto, just to make you smile...

fernando
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
chelsea reserves beat QPR reserves 1-0
Seabiscuit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
How can yer post pictures and I can't?
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Raindance)
Cisse's a monster... gonna eat all of yers next season! :proud:
What with his hair?
jamlan
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
What with his hair?
Yeah, or without his hair. Either way is good
non-centrally acting
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jamlan)
Yeah, or without his hair. Either way is good
No, without the hair he's crap.

Just wondering do you have computers in your bedrooms or sommer :p:
jamlan
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by darth_vader05)
No, without the hair he's crap.

Just wondering do you have computers in your bedrooms or sommer :p:
No, without his leg he's crap, as he proved last season. There may be some power in his hair but without it, i think he'd be average at worst.

Yes
non-centrally acting
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No, without his leg he's crap, as he proved last season. There may be some power in his hair but without it, i think he'd be average at worst.

Yes
I always loook forward to his new hairdo. I think him and morientis may make a good pair- liverpool have got good strikers this season.

Lucky you- I'm sleeping downstairs tonight and was bored so came on comp. If I get caught I'm :shot:
jamlan
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by darth_vader05)
I always loook forward to his new hairdo. I think him and morientis may make a good pair- liverpool have got good strikers this season.

Lucky you- I'm sleeping downstairs tonight and was bored so came on comp. If I get caught I'm :shot:
Just stay very quiet and you should be alright :ninja:
non-centrally acting
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Just stay very quiet and you should be alright :ninja:
Any sound makes me jump :eek: Anyway I'm off now because my Gran always wakes us at about half 3 and comes downstairs for a cuppa

Nite.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (60)
18.69%
Labour (158)
49.22%
Liberal Democrats (45)
14.02%
Green Party (20)
6.23%
Brexit Party (4)
1.25%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.93%
SNP (7)
2.18%
Plaid Cymru (2)
0.62%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (4)
1.25%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)