The Ultimate Football Thread

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Kuz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Raindance can you post an image in this thread for me please Actually any sub will do

Woo! its ok you don't have to anymore
Kuz
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Herleif
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Raindance)
I beg to disagree, I think Owen would be an excellent buy for you. He's ready made for the Premiership - 47 goals in his last 2 Liverpool seasons under Houllier can't be bad. He's not the sort of player who scavenges and makes his own balls, he scavenges and feeds. He may lack a couple of yards since his England debut, but he's still the sharpest shooter around. At the end of the day, he likes the ball to his feet, not lobbed over the top. In Arsenal's flowing, pass and move style, this is what he'd be getting. With Henry in his loose role, and quality service from midfield, there should be plenty of balls and service to play from. The only problem I see with him, is his lack of height, which would be noticeable in your already short team. However, he has a knack of getting on the ends of crosses, and scores his share of heads. At the end of the day, with Owen you'd be guaranteed at least 20 goals per season.

I don't agree with that. Owen is a really direct player who pretty much always goes straight for goal when he recieves the ball. He would be good for a team who need a principal striker, but we've already got Henry. Besides, all the Arsenal players are technically much better, and although Owen isn't bad in this area his main asset is his sharpness and acceleration. I don't think we need him and Real won't let him go cheap. I really thought Baptista would be good for Arsenal but it was clearly not meant to be.
kpg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The thing with Baptista was that he could play in the middle of the park too and with Vieira's departure it would've been a great signing. Owen would score goals in the Arsenal side, as he would in most sides mind you and he's the sort of player Arsenal lack. It's all well and good having 5 or 6 players able to play in any attacking position playing free flowing football, but sometimes Arsenal lack a killer edge in front of goal and need a bit of a poacher (something Jeffers was bought for). Owen's off the ball movement and intellegence with the ball has improved dramatically since he made his debut and I'd imagine he'd love playing in the Arsenal side.
oblivious
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kpg)
The thing with Baptista was that he could play in the middle of the park too and with Vieira's departure it would've been a great signing. Owen would score goals in the Arsenal side, as he would in most sides mind you and he's the sort of player Arsenal lack. It's all well and good having 5 or 6 players able to play in any attacking position playing free flowing football, but sometimes Arsenal lack a killer edge in front of goal and need a bit of a poacher (something Jeffers was bought for). Owen's off the ball movement and intellegence with the ball has improved dramatically since he made his debut and I'd imagine he'd love playing in the Arsenal side.
muhahah Jeffers was crap
Herleif
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by oblivious)
muhahah Jeffers was crap
well done. :rolleyes:
kpg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
muhahah Jeffers was crap
That he was
oblivious
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Was nice to fleece you out of £7million for him but we stupidly paid you £4million back for that piece of crap called Richard Wright
Herleif
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Was nice to fleece you out of £7million for him but we stupidly paid you £4million back for that piece of crap called Richard Wright
thats Karma for you

we made the rest back selling him to charlton. Why did charlton even want to buy him? :confused:
Rainy
Badges: 15
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kpg)
Exactly what I was about to say. Henry isn't necessarily the last man in the side, and Arsenal could score a lot more with a poacher. Wouldn't be a big risk either. Has grown up in the Premiership, excelled there even, and still wouldn't command a big fee, as opposed to what Baptista would have needed.
Herleif
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Exactly what I was about to say. Henry isn't necessarily the last man in the side, and Arsenal could score a lot more with a poacher. Wouldn't be a big risk either. Has grown up in the Premiership, excelled there even, and still wouldn't command a big fee, as opposed to what Baptista would have needed.
They wanted £16 million for Baptista. Ive heard they wanted £12 million for Owen. If he could be had at a bargain price than i think Arsenal should go for it, but not at £12 million.
Fusion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Herleif Arkadios)
They wanted £16 million for Baptista. Ive heard they wanted £12 million for Owen. If he could be had at a bargain price than i think Arsenal should go for it, but not at £12 million.
Wenger hates buying english players
Rainy
Badges: 15
Report 14 years ago
HAd you been in contest with Real for Baptista, the price would have rocketed. If Owen wants to leave, and Real seem ok with it, I reckon you could knock a wee bit off of £12m. That said, it's a fair price anyway.
Herleif
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by esx77)
Wenger hates buying english players
Thats because he thinks they're rip offs. When you look at what we paid for Jeffers and Richard Wright (7 and 6 million i think) i'm inclined to agree with him.
oblivious
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Thats because he thinks they're rip offs. When you look at what we paid for Jeffers and Richard Wright (7 and 6 million i think) i'm inclined to agree with him.
no its cos he buys crap ones e.g. Jeffers and Richard Wright
Fusion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
they were more pathetic buys on wengers behalf, if wenger had looked into the up and coming generation in his earliers days at highbury instead of concentrating abroad we might have had the likes of lampard, rooney, milner with us
Herleif
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
HAd you been in contest with Real for Baptista, the price would have rocketed. If Owen wants to leave, and Real seem ok with it, I reckon you could knock a wee bit off of £12m. That said, it's a fair price anyway.
There was no guarantee Real would enter the transfer race. Baptista was only hoping that Barca or Real would join the race, the real reason he made us wait was the passport issue. Frankly, Arsenal can never really afford to get into bidding wars although hopefully that may change in the future as the club are growing at record pace.

here
Herleif
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
no its cos he buys crap ones e.g. Jeffers and Richard Wright
Fair point.

they were more pathetic buys on wengers behalf, if wenger had looked into the up and coming generation in his earliers days at highbury instead of concentrating abroad we might have had the likes of lampard, rooney, milner with us
To be honest its hard to fault Wenger looking abroad when he has brought us Viera, Ljungberg, Henry et al - all at bargain prices. There have been relatively few English bargains had in the last few years, thats because (as Wenger says) the market between British clubs it totally inflated.
non-centrally acting
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by afireinside©)
I'd love it if Everton beat Man Ure tomorrow, with Phil Neville netting the winner, of course :cool:
I wouldn't- last season was bad enough
oblivious
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by darth_vader05)
I wouldn't- last season was bad enough
EVERTON EVERTON EVERTON !!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (54)
19.42%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (60)
21.58%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (56)
20.14%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (58)
20.86%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (25)
8.99%
I haven't started researching yet (25)
8.99%

Watched Threads