The Ultimate Football Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Kuz)
You've still never won the prem and struggle to show brilliance in your own league!!!!
That will change soon.
jamlan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Kuz)
You've still never won the prem and struggle to show brilliance in your own league!!!!
And you've never won the Champions League or, in fact, the European Cup before it!
We've had a couple of bad seasons. One with Houllier, we were clearly in decline, then one with Benitez in his first season out of the Spanish league. Take into account the guff that he inherited from Houllier and the injuries we suffered. How good would you be if Henry had a broken his leg, and Ljungberg and Vieira had lengthy lay offs. Then when Vieira came back he has to play as a lone striker cos they're all injured? How long would you give Rafa to get used to the style of play? Fact is, Benitez has vastly improved our team, and our squad.
As for this season, it's a little early to judge us, after only two league games, but we had a blinder in our pre-season. Also, the transfer window is still open, and we're still after a CB and a RM. Then there's Owen, but i'm a bit sceptical about that.
jamlan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
That will change soon.
I... want to rep... you... but i just... can't seem... to do it

"You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later."
:rolleyes:
kpg
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Kuz)
Football didn't start in 1992...

And behind Arsenal and Man United we've been far more succesful than anyone else in recent years. Takes the piss when some no mark club sing ***** nationwide songs like that. About on the same level as Wolverhampton Wanderers singing "Sign on..." !

We've had a couple of bad seasons. One with Houllier, we were clearly in decline, then one with Benitez in his first season out of the Spanish league.
eh?!

Last year was one of the greatest seasons in this club's illustrious history. We may have finished 5th but were crowned EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS for the 5th time in one of the most dramatic games ever. Football is made for nights like Istanbul, like Chelsea, like Juventus, like Olympiacos. For the passion, for the drama. The atmopshere for the chelsea game will go down in folklore along with games like Inter 1965. Stevie G's goal against Olympiacos will forever be compared with Davey Fairclough's against St Ettiene. Everton don't get medals for finishing 4th. The whole of North London didn't fill the streets to see Arsenal parade the FA Cup.

Bad season my arsenal.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jamlan)
And you've never won the Champions League or, in fact, the European Cup before it!
Quarter-finalists at best so far for some reason, even when they have been favourites to win it. Well, I do know the reasons why they can't progress and it's disciplined defending - take a look at Liverpool and Chelsea as prime examples. So I think it's safe to say that Chelsea are the best club in Europe in London.
Reloaded
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
So I think it's safe to say that Chelsea are the best club in Europe in London.
has a london club ever won a european trophy? other than Arsenal and Chelsea winning the Cup Winners' Cup
Jump
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Reloader)
has a london club ever won a european trophy? other than Arsenal and Chelsea winning the Cup Winners' Cup
yes.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Jump)
yes.
Spurs.
durhamlad1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kpg)

And behind Arsenal and Man United we've been far more succesful than anyone else in recent years. Takes the piss when some no mark club sing ***** nationwide songs like that. About on the same level as Wolverhampton Wanderers singing "Sign on..." !

eh?!

Last year was one of the greatest seasons in this club's illustrious history. We may have finished 5th but were crowned EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS for the 5th time in one of the most dramatic games ever. Football is made for nights like Istanbul, like Chelsea, like Juventus, like Olympiacos. For the passion, for the drama. The atmopshere for the chelsea game will go down in folklore along with games like Inter 1965. Stevie G's goal against Olympiacos will forever be compared with Davey Fairclough's against St Ettiene. Everton don't get medals for finishing 4th. The whole of North London didn't fill the streets to see Arsenal parade the FA Cup.

Bad season my arsenal.
Shame the atmosphere wasn't like that on saturday, the liverpool crowd was one of the most subdued i've heard duringfollowing safc.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jamlan)
"You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later."
:rolleyes:
That message it gives doesn't make sense. You never give out too much reputation as there is a limit there to stop it. :rolleyes:
Né Stig
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Liverpool to finish 4th this year. Liverpool to get knocked out of Champ League before knock out stage as well.

I'm afraid my beloved Arsenal will also follow suit due to inexperience and no real main captain and belief.

I'm hoping war at Chelsea will finally see them into problems. Its got to happen. How can 20+ top quality players be happy with being a sub or not even starting?

And stop picking on London Clubs. Just think how many are in the Premier right now compared to any other City.
El Stevo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
london has the advantage of beign tres tres big. having said that, there are 7 premierleague teams within 40 minutes drive of my house, and there was the real possibility of there being 8 but preston didnt make the playoffs. so i think the density of premierleague clubs is higher here than in london..
Kuz
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kpg)

I know its all in jest, but it does get increasingly tiresome with people claiming in a round-abouts way that they are the best team in the world, when they are not making a real impact on their own league! Yes I agree it is mainly due to your manager adapting to English style of play, but being real threats at home as well as further a field, is the first sign of sucessful team. Its an annoyance that people seems to add the domestic success of Liverpool's deep dark past, to their recent European success and it seems to equal greatest team in the world now!
Né Stig
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
To win the champ league, there is no doubt you have to have class.
But then its a shorter competition than the tiresome premiership where you need consistency. Not every team has that particular excitement which Liverpool had in the chapions league within the prem league.

To win the Premiership means most in regards to importance due to the week in week out basis. There isn't a long list of exciting games. Liverpool will have to meet Fulham on a really bad weather day with a crowd of just 16'000 and the players feeling unmotivated with a trip back to Liverpool later that night. These games are of high importance, and you need to win them to win the prem league which Liverpool doesn't.
Kuz
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by walshie)
To win the champ league, there is no doubt you have to have class.
But then its a shorter competition than the tiresome premiership where you need consistency. Not every team has that particular excitement which Liverpool had in the chapions league within the prem league.

To win the Premiership means most in regards to importance due to the week in week out basis. There isn't a long list of exciting games. Liverpool will have to meet Fulham on a really bad weather day with a crowd of just 16'000 and the players feeling unmotivated with a trip back to Liverpool later that night. These games are of high importance, and you need to win them to win the prem league which Liverpool doesn't.
I believe that a domestic league is the true indicator of how good a team is at that current time, as it is a table of form and consistency. The CL is a cup where teams can play well or badly on the day based on luck of the draw (not taking anything away from 'Pool because they wholly awarded that cup) Would 'Pool still have won the cup if they had played Barcelona???
kpg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Would 'Pool still have won the cup if they had played Barcelona???
I don't know and I'm not sure what relevence it has either. After all, we did beat the champions of Greece, Spain and England, along with the 2nd best team in Italy, plus the finalists from the year before and the a team (Leverkusen) who were in fine form in the competition. Our form suggests we could've more than held our own against the champions of Spain too.

You can't play badly over two legs and go through in the champions league (well, except maybe the qualifiers).
Ronaldinho_88
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kpg)
I don't know and I'm not sure what relevence it has either. After all, we did beat the champions of Greece, Spain and England, along with the 2nd best team in Italy, plus the finalists from the year before and the a team (Leverkusen) who were in fine form in the competition. Our form suggests we could've more than held our own against the champions of Spain too.

You can't play badly over two legs and go through in the champions league (well, except maybe the qualifiers).
Liverpool beat also "Serie A" winners "Juventus".
Praddles
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Here's an interesting story..

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/tm_obj...name_page.html
Ronaldinho_88
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Liverpool have agreed to sell Czech international striker Milan Baros to Aston Villa for a fee of about £6.5m.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...la/4154498.stm
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Kuz)
Would 'Pool still have won the cup if they had played Barcelona???
I raised this question ages ago and glad that an Arsenal fan has. Only two teams beat Barcelona in the Champions League last season - AC Milan and Chelsea. As with all cup competitions you have the luck of the draw more so than the league (although fixtures can play their part too).

For the record I don't think Liverpool would have sustained Barcelona's attack despite their well disciplined defending. They nearly conceded to Gudjohnsen in stoppage time and this was when Chelsea lacked attacking options with injuries playing a big part.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (118)
19.7%
Labour (302)
50.42%
Liberal Democrats (79)
13.19%
Green Party (30)
5.01%
Brexit Party (7)
1.17%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.5%
SNP (13)
2.17%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.5%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
1%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (3)