The Ultimate Football Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kpg)
I don't know and I'm not sure what relevence it has either. After all, we did beat the champions of Greece, Spain and England...
Are you sure about Spain? Unless I've missed something here.
Ronaldinho_88
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Are you sure about Spain? Unless I've missed something here.
Barcelona? :hmmmm:
kpg
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ooops.

I of course meant Italy (Juve) but had Barca on my mind !
kpg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I raised this question ages ago and glad that an Arsenal fan has. Only two teams beat Barcelona in the Champions League last season - AC Milan and Chelsea. As with all cup competitions you have the luck of the draw more so than the league (although fixtures can play their part too).

For the record I don't think Liverpool would have sustained Barcelona's attack despite their well disciplined defending. They nearly conceded to Gudjohnsen in stoppage time and this was when Chelsea lacked attacking options with injuries playing a big part
I seem to remember that happening to us at some point last season.........oh yeah.....from October to May.

As for Barca only losing twice ; Juve lost twice too, once to Real Madrid and then to Liverpool who played them off the park in the first half at Anfield. Chelsea only lost twice too, including the semi final. Excluding the qualifiers, Leverkusen only lost 4 times, including twice to Liverpool. There is absolutely nothing, nowt, zilch that can take the gloss off the European Cup win last year.
Kuz
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Prad)
Here's an interesting story..

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/tm_obj...name_page.html
Wigan manager obviously been smoking something
Kuz
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I raised this question ages ago and glad that an Arsenal fan has. Only two teams beat Barcelona in the Champions League last season - AC Milan and Chelsea. As with all cup competitions you have the luck of the draw more so than the league (although fixtures can play their part too).

For the record I don't think Liverpool would have sustained Barcelona's attack despite their well disciplined defending.
Agreed
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kpg)
Ooops.

I of course meant Italy (Juve) but had Barca on my mind !
Perhaps it will be your turn to play against them this season. And we'll have an Italian side, don't care who.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Kuz)
Agreed
We agree on something! :eek: Actually we've agreed on many other things like on Scott Parker but you know.
kpg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
For what it's worth I think we can take on anyone at Anfield on a tuesday or wednesday night in Europe and i'd back us to win on most occasions. The inept attacking of Chelsea and Juve played into our hands and we backed ourselves to outplay everyone else (which we did). I don't think Barcelona, despite playing some fantastic football, would've posed a hugely greater threat. I do remember us outplaying Arsenal earlier in the season at home and they were playing some fine football at the time.
Kuz
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
We agree on something! :eek: Actually we've agreed on many other things like on Scott Parker but you know.
Take a picture, i'm in a bad mood anyway, maybe thats why I'm agreeing with you
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Kuz)
Take a picture, i'm in a bad mood anyway, maybe thats why I'm agreeing with you
*offers hug*[/trepidation]
Jump
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by afireinside©)
*takes off clothes and rubs nipples with ice cubes*
El Stevo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Phil Neville played on the Camelot Derby today.
oblivious
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kpg)
For what it's worth I think we can take on anyone at Anfield on a tuesday or wednesday night in Europe and i'd back us to win on most occasions. The inept attacking of Chelsea and Juve played into our hands and we backed ourselves to outplay everyone else (which we did). I don't think Barcelona, despite playing some fantastic football, would've posed a hugely greater threat. I do remember us outplaying Arsenal earlier in the season at home and they were playing some fine football at the time.
till man utd beat them and they went on a slump
jamlan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kpg)
Football didn't start in 1992...

And behind Arsenal and Man United we've been far more succesful than anyone else in recent years. Takes the piss when some no mark club sing ***** nationwide songs like that. About on the same level as Wolverhampton Wanderers singing "Sign on..." !

eh?!

Last year was one of the greatest seasons in this club's illustrious history. We may have finished 5th but were crowned EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS for the 5th time in one of the most dramatic games ever. Football is made for nights like Istanbul, like Chelsea, like Juventus, like Olympiacos. For the passion, for the drama. The atmopshere for the chelsea game will go down in folklore along with games like Inter 1965. Stevie G's goal against Olympiacos will forever be compared with Davey Fairclough's against St Ettiene. Everton don't get medals for finishing 4th. The whole of North London didn't fill the streets to see Arsenal parade the FA Cup.

Bad season my arsenal.
When i said one bad season with Benitez i was still referring to the comment about failing to show brilliance in our league. We did have a bad league season
kpg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
We did have a bad league season
Not really sure I care too much about that though to be honest. If we don't finish 1st obviously you do your best to be as high up as possible but we could've finished 17th and won the CL and it still would've been a great season.
jamlan
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
That's a very interesting fact. Did you also know that there was a team that beat both of those teams, y'know the ones that beat Barcelona? :rolleyes:
How exactly was our draw lucky? :confused: Having to play Bayer Leverkusen, then Juventus, then Chelsea, then AC Milan. And not only winning over the two legs of each stage, but being unbeaten in each individual game.

For the record I don't think Liverpool would have sustained Barcelona's attack despite their well disciplined defending. They nearly conceded to Gudjohnsen in stoppage time and this was when Chelsea lacked attacking options with injuries playing a big part.
Before the final, we had only conceded 3 goals in 9 hours of top European football. Chelsea conceded three times as many in the same period.
You might have noticed we didn't bring half oour squad to a lot of matches last season. You may have wondered where they were, they weren't on holiday, or off on a picnic, they were injured. It wouldn't have been as bad if we'd had Alonso for the 2nd leg against Chelsea, but Gudjohnsen didn't seem to think that would be appropriate.
It takes more than one shot on target over the two legs, in the form of a poorly hit Joe Cole effort, and a shot off target by Eidur to win a CL semi-final. Jose should've told his players that, maybe they would have made it to the final. And don't get me started on how you beat Barcelona! Some (uninformed) people call us lucky!!!
jamlan
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kpg)
Not really sure I care too much about that though to be honest. If we don't finish 1st obviously you do your best to be as high up as possible but we could've finished 17th and won the CL and it still would've been a great season.
I agree, our season as a whole was a brilliant one. One i'll never forget, but our league season was disappointing. We're not a team should be finishing fifth on a regular basis.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jamlan)
How exactly was our draw lucky? :confused: Having to play Bayer Leverkusen, then Juventus, then Chelsea, then AC Milan. And not only winning over the two legs of each stage, but being unbeaten in each individual game.
With every knockout competition luck plays a bigger part in the campaign than the league it's quite simple.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Nice to see the giraffe on loan to Birmingham, Bruce loves his Chelsea players - Melchiot, Forssell, Jarosik...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (197)
18.8%
Labour (540)
51.53%
Liberal Democrats (141)
13.45%
Green Party (58)
5.53%
Brexit Party (15)
1.43%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.38%
SNP (17)
1.62%
Plaid Cymru (5)
0.48%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (7)
0.67%
SDLP (1)
0.1%
Ulster Unionist (4)