The Ultimate Football Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jamlan)
And don't get me started on how you beat Barcelona! Some (uninformed) people call us lucky!!!
Barcelona were lucky to beat CHelsea in the first leg so don't get me started on the second leg. We know their was a report made that CONFIRMED that Anders Frisk was approached not once, not twice, but three times during half time. Yet this report was omitted in Mourinho's disciplinary hearing when it should not have done - because if it is true then he cannot have brought the game into disrepute. Then Barclona's blatant diving was caught on video on the first leg, which was easily stamped out in the second leg with a decent referee. Notice that Spanish sides enjoy diving, look at Villareal.
kpg
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
With every knockout competition luck plays a bigger part in the campaign than the league it's quite simple.
So you're saying we were lucky?
jamlan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
With every knockout competition luck plays a bigger part in the campaign than the league it's quite simple.
But you said "the luck of the draw" which refers to luck in the teams you are drawn against. We weren't drawn against easy teams, so there was no "luck of the draw". Luck does play a more important part in the CL than in the league, we weren't especially lucky in the CL though.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kpg)
So you're saying we were lucky?
I've already given my opinion above.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
But you said "the luck of the draw" which refers to luck in the teams you are drawn against. We weren't drawn against easy teams, so there was no "luck of the draw". Luck does play a more important part in the CL than in the league, we weren't especially lucky in the CL though.
There are no easy teams in the Champions League proper. What is highlighted in bold is what I've been adovcating all along. :cool:
jamlan
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Barcelona were lucky to beat CHelsea in the first leg so don't get me started on the second leg. We know their was a report made that CONFIRMED that Anders Frisk was approached not once, not twice, but three times during half time. Yet this report was omitted in Mourinho's disciplinary hearing when it should not have done - because if it is true then he cannot have brought the game into disrepute. Then Barclona's blatant diving was caught on video on the first leg, which was easily stamped out in the second leg with a decent referee. Notice that Spanish sides enjoy diving, look at Villareal.
You were riding your luck against Barcelona, relying heavily on the brilliance of Cech. A so called good referee that didn't noticed Carvalho giving the Barca keeper a big hug as Terry's header went in.
jamlan
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
There are no easy teams in the Champions League proper. What is highlighted in bold is what I've been adovcating all along. :cool:
Then you shouldn't have said "the luck of the draw " it's misleading. :cool:
EDIT: Also, you should read the whole of the sentence, it's an incomplete statement otherwise and could be taken out of context
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You were riding your luck against Barcelona, relying heavily on the brilliance of Cech. A so called good referee that didn't noticed Carvalho giving the Barca keeper a big hug as Terry's header went in.
Great teams have great keepers. Look at Arsenal with Seaman and Manchester United with Schmiechel. A decent goalkeeper is very important and I don't understand why Arsenal haven't gone for Andreas Isaksson. So Pierluigi didn't notice the header and? Anders Frisk failed to spot a dive that got Drogba booked, which then invariably led to his second yellow. There was another dive towards the touchline which involved Damien Duff. Despite Chelsea played poorly they didn't look like losing and should have made it 2-0 before half-time (Drogba being his usual self there). Then when Drogba got sent off how that changed the game. I'm guessing you never saw the match and Andy Gray's comments did you?
kpg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The thing that is often forgotten is that our luck did even itself out. We were very lucky in the final as Shevchenko's dissalowed goal was good and Dudek was 3 yards of his peno line. Garcia's goal vs Chelsea was lucky too. But then again Alonso's yellow card in the first leg was shambolic, Saviola's handball in Monaco nearly cost us, a Graz player was yellowed twice but not sent off...to name a few.

So luck DOES even itself out over a cup competition, especially one so difficult to win as the European Cup.
Danny the Geezer
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
So did you play well enough to win the EC then?
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Tiago has left Chelsea for Lyon (just when he was getting used to the Premiership). Will always remember his long range goal against Man Utd.
Lil' Miss Smiley
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Tiago has left Chelsea for Lyon (just when he was getting used to the Premiership). Will always remember his long range goal against Man Utd.
No!! Who will I go, oh oh oh to now??
naivesincerity
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

For the record I don't think Liverpool would have sustained Barcelona's attack despite their well disciplined defending. They nearly conceded to Gudjohnsen in stoppage time and this was when Chelsea lacked attacking options with injuries playing a big part.
Ha, still making excuses! We had Alonso out! And others who i cant recall....Get over it, Chelsea are doing well enough aren't they? We beat Milan who were twice as gooder side as Barcelona, and, IMO, Juve, despite the fact Juve won Serie A
oblivious
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by naivesincerity)
Ha, still making excuses! We had Alonso out! And others who i cant recall....Get over it, Chelsea are doing well enough aren't they? We beat Milan who were twice as gooder side as Barcelona, and, IMO, Juve, despite the fact Juve won Serie A
in the end its a cup competition and anyone can beat anyone *cough* burnley *cough*
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
But I'd rather let Tiago go to keep Gudjohnsen and help Essien mould into the squad.

Hmmm speaking of which we can play 4 wingers at once with one pair of wingers being in the inside and more advanced but might make the formation more like a variant of 3-5-2.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by oblivious)
in the end its a cup competition and anyone can beat anyone *cough* burnley *cough*
Millwall in the FA Cup final once. Oh and the USA beating England in the World Cup! :rolleyes: Don't expect Sven to take England too far in the World Cup.

Chelsea are doing well enough aren't they?
Not until they retain the Premiership, win the FA Cup and win the Champions League.
Kuz
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I love the fact I spurred all this fevered discussion
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well there's another knockout competition with the World Cup hmmmm. Any unfortunate incidents to happen against England like refereeing decisions (especially if the opposition is France or Scotland) hmmmmm
Kuz
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well there's another knockout competition with the World Cup hmmmm. Any unfortunate incidents to happen against England like refereeing decisions (especially if the opposition is France or Scotland) hmmmmm
Something contreversial always happens with England's international campaigns. One and only one person is always to blame for England's misfortunes, be it ref, manager, captain, goal-keeper, penalty-taker, never a team fault :rolleyes:
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Kuz)
Something contreversial always happens with England's international campaigns. One and only one person is always to blame for England's misfortunes, be it ref, manager, captain, goal-keeper, penalty-taker, never a team fault :rolleyes:
I know. I wonder how many Liverpool fans who never saw themselves lucky in the CL last year (basically couldn't careless about the ghost goal) think of Sol Campbell's disallowed goal against Portugal. :rolleyes:

The team was certainly responsible against Denmark. I don't think Sven's the right man personally. I'm favouring Big Sam now.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (278)
48.01%
No (66)
11.4%
I'm not old enough (235)
40.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed