The Ultimate Football Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
kpg
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
and we're on the verge of going out because we weren't seeded and because of this are playing one of the top spanish teams.
I'm not complaining about our lack of seeding
lol

It's clear you don't seem to (want to) understand the concept of seeding in the CL as long as it enhances your biterness towards the Champions of Europe. I'll stop bothering.
Ziggy Stardust
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
and we're on the verge of going out because we weren't seeded and because of this are playing one of the top spanish teams.
//
//
//
I'm not complaining about our lack of seeding
Yeah. I can explain that.
We weren't ever going to be highly seeded, i'm more bothered about the fact you were given an easy passage to the group stages and we weren't, despite the fact that we finished above you in the league!
I am certain, however, that UEFA didn't want both of us going through to the group stages, and that, in their minds, we couldn't have got a better team in the 3rd round draw.
If you'd quoted me properly you'd have realised I was talking about you being seeded and given an easy passage through, more than I was complaining about our lack of seeding.
oblivious
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by afireinside©)
Yeah. I can explain that.
We weren't ever going to be highly seeded, i'm more bothered about the fact you were given an easy passage to the group stages and we weren't, despite the fact that we finished about you in the league!
I am certain, however, that UEFA didn't want both of us going through to the group stages, and that, in their minds, we couldn't have got a better team in the 3rd round draw.
If you'd quoted me properly you'd have realised I was talking about you being seeded and given an easy passage through, more than I was complaining about our lack of seeding.
if they were that good they wouldn't need a seeding
oblivious
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by darth_vader05)
mighty :rofl: I think boro are better than everton, but they need to strengthen there defence. You're definitely guaranteed goals with hasslebank and viduka.
lies!!!
kpg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
European seeding has absolutely nothing to do with league form. It's based on success in European games over a certain time period (5 years I think). You were never going to be highly seeded, damn right, you were never going to be seeded because this is your first time in Europe for yonks. Just like had it been Norwich, Crystal Palace, Bolton, Blackburn etc. etc. Had it been anyone else [apart from us, Man United, Arsenal, Chelsea or Newcastle] in 4th spot they too would've been unseeded.

Success in europe goes towards a co-efficient, this is used to determine the four pots for the group stages and if it's near the threshold, for seeding. Winning games (and tournaments) not only increases the individual club co-efficient but that of the country aswell. As a result Everton have a co-efficient of somthing like 30 - despite playing no european football for ages and having made no contributiong to it, you get a share of the country's seeding but nowhere enough to get you seeded.

I'm sure UEFA didnt want both of us in there but you could've drawn Villareal even if we hadn't been allowed. You drawing them has **** all to do with us.
JoeFen
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Bitter, bitter fu**s. Get over it you bluenose and if I remember correctly we did little whinging due to the fact that the British media took on our cause and rattled on for months.

RE tonight's game against Sofia - good stuff. We've secured 10-15 million for the coming season.

In terms of how we played, poor yes but I couldn't care less, we did what we had to do in the first leg (bluenoses take note, I know its been a long time away from Europe)

Sissoko looks like a bloody good buy, covered every blade of grass and not afraid to battle for the game. Josemi did well too covering the CB position and glad to see Sinama make an appearance at the end there.

In all honesty, any person who thought we would go out there tonight and do Sofia in with two DMs in riise and potter is as deluded as an evertonian with champions league asperations.

Diddums bluenoses
EPD
Badges: 11
Report 14 years ago
Well bugger me
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...up/4168412.stm
Made my day, that has.
rmyl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by El Pollo Diablo)
Well bugger me
Made my day, that has.
:eek:

gosh, thats one for the bookies!! :eek:
EPD
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by rmyl)
:eek:

gosh, thats one for the bookies!! :eek:
Can't get much better than 5-1 over a team 2 divisions above. With new players and a new system compared to last year too (we actually have a midfield this year).
oblivious
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by JoeFen)
Bitter, bitter fu**s. Get over it you bluenose and if I remember correctly we did little whinging due to the fact that the British media took on our cause and rattled on for months.

RE tonight's game against Sofia - good stuff. We've secured 10-15 million for the coming season.

In terms of how we played, poor yes but I couldn't care less, we did what we had to do in the first leg (bluenoses take note, I know its been a long time away from Europe)
we finished above you last season i've no reason to be bitter. Don't slate us for not doing the business against a top spanish team rather than a bulgarian team that had a joke of a keeper. The fact that you're from a community of scarf wearing, flag waving ****s means i pity you.
Ziggy Stardust
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Seems several of the newspapers believe Everton have put in a bid of around 12m for Michael Owen..

It is on the back of The Telegraph, The Sun, The Daily Star and The Times tomorrow..

Just annoying that, despite it being on the back page of all of these newspapers, we already know that it's a non-starter..

Anyway, here is a couple of the links.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mai...4/ixfooty.html

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2...390268,00.html
jamlan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Due to your teams constant pissing and whinging about not being in the trophy if they won it and finished 5th..
I'm not complaining about our lack of seeding, just that it's wrong that Liverpool are now through to the group stages, when they shouldn't even be in the competition at all.
If Villarreal go through tomorrow, which is very likely, UEFA will have got exactly what they wanted.
Both UEFA and the FA said that we should be in the CL this season, the only disagreement was over which one had the responsibility to let us in. UEFA said the FA should put Everton into the UEFA Cup to allow us in. The FA said that an extra place should be provided by UEFA since it's their competition and it's their fault that they haven't provided a space for the champions. UEFA realised they made a mistake, which is why there is now an automatic place for the winners.
Zurich
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I've probably missed the 30 seconds when anyone gave a sh*t about Boro so I'll be brief.

Woooh! bout fudging time!

Nice to see Viduka being useful. How long is Yakubu out for? Where was Mendieta?
kpg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by oblivious)
i've no reason to be bitter.
Shame about the rest of the "people"
goldenbarnes
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Zurich)
I've probably missed the 30 seconds when anyone gave a sh*t about Boro so I'll be brief.

Woooh! bout fudging time!

Nice to see Viduka being useful. How long is Yakubu out for? Where was Mendieta?
Mendieta was rested - 2 games in a week after 10 months out was too much for him, apparently. Yakubu should be back for Charlton but his comeback is unpredictable as it's just stictches to a gash on his ankle and the physios can't do anything but wait and see how it heals, hoping it doesn't get infected.

Anybody willing to bet on Everton finishing above Boro? Coz I'm sure as hell willing to bet on Boro finishing above Everton.
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by El Pollo Diablo)
Well bugger me
Made my day, that has.
Impressive! Crewe must be really embarrassed!
oblivious
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by goldenbarnes)
Mendieta was rested - 2 games in a week after 10 months out was too much for him, apparently. Yakubu should be back for Charlton but his comeback is unpredictable as it's just stictches to a gash on his ankle and the physios can't do anything but wait and see how it heals, hoping it doesn't get infected.

Anybody willing to bet on Everton finishing above Boro? Coz I'm sure as hell willing to bet on Boro finishing above Everton.
I'll go down to the bookies now, 200 aight?
rmyl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Owen for Newcastle now apparently? :confused: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...em/4179194.stm
When did that happen? :eek:
goldenbarnes
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by oblivious)
I'll go down to the bookies now, 200 aight?
Bookies my arse. I'll bet you £200 right now that Boro finish above Everton.
oblivious
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by goldenbarnes)
Bookies my arse. I'll bet you £200 right now that Boro finish above Everton.
ok! I'm already planning on what to spend £200 on
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (208)
49.17%
No (48)
11.35%
I'm not old enough (167)
39.48%

Watched Threads