The Ultimate Football Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
mc_watson87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by oblivious)
disallows a completely clean goal from duncan ferguson which would have made it 3-3 on agg. he signalled to the half way line but then changes his mind after seeing the linesman's decision though collina was closest. Bent supposedly had hold of the defender but it was more of their defender having hold of bent. Commentators and pundits said it was fine and collina was biased against dunc the whole night.
****! :eek: =\
oblivious
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mc_watson87)
****! :eek: =\
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...pe/4171224.stm

"controversial" and "mysteriously"
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Blackburn is shameful. =|
mc_watson87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...pe/4171224.stm

"controversial" and "mysteriously"
That sux majorly!

Unlucky man! =\
Ziggy Stardust
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I suppose I should give my match report..

First half, started poorly, infact, took us until after the first goal to even string a few passes together. Sorin and Riquelme were running the show for them, but we were managing to contain them to as few proper efforts on goal as possible.
When they did have chances Nigel Martyn, as usual, was there to stop them going in the back of the net.
Their first goal was a terrible example of why you shouldn't let teams like Villarreal have time on the ball. A lovely one-two between two of their midfielders seen Sorin be left with the ball advancing on the Everton goal - nobody seemed to want to close him down, in fact, it didn't even look like he wanted to shoot until the opportunity was too good to turn down, so he did, took a wicked deflection of the arse of Davey Weir, and went in. One Nil.

Rest of the first half was pretty much how it started. Villarreal were showing why they are regarded as one of the best teams in Spain, fancy footwork, nice flicks here and there, and moments of brilliance from Riquelme.
Evertons best chance of the half came from a long throw-in by Neville, flicked on by Ferguson and Cahill should have done better with the header opportunity presented to him. Half time.

I'm not sure what Moyes said to the Everton team at half time, but straight away they looked more positive. Davies, in particular, was having a great game. Duncan Ferguson could of, and should have, scored from a cross by the impressive Davies, however, he couldn't direct his header and it went wide. A moment of genius from Arteta, half way through the second half, looked like it could have put Everton back into the ascendancy - some neat play on the edge of the Villarreal box ended up in Neville being hacked down; a lovely curling 20-yard free kick into the top corner resulted from Arteta. One One. Everton started to apply more and more pressure from here on in, although the distribution from several players left an awful lot to be desired, often highlighted by mis-placed passes from Tony Hibbert.

The game turned with 15 minutes left to go.

In what can only be described as a rush of blood to the head by referee Collina, he disallowed a perfectly good headed goal by Ferguson from an Arteta corner. His reasoning was that Marcus Bent was holding a defender; TV replays show Bent not only didn't have hold of the defender, but he was also having his shirt pulled. This error of judgement by the referee surely has cost Everton £10m +
Two minutes left to go Villarreal scored a second from a good counter attack, with Diego Forlan finishing nicely to put the tie out of Evertons reach. All in all it was a heroic performance by Everton, and the tie was surely hinged on that decision by Collina to disallow a perfectly good Ferguson goal. If it had stood, Everton were in pole position to go on and score again, Villarreal were shook, but, alas, it just wasn't to be.

Roll on the UEFA cup.

Man of the match - Nigel Martyn

My Everton ratings:
Martyn 9/10 (Man of the Match)
Hibbert 5/10 - sh*t
Yobo 7/10 - didn't really do anything wrong
Weir 8/10 - solid, as usual - unlucky to deflect the ball into his own net
Kilbane 6/10 - often caught out of position, although it's not his favoured position
Neville 7/10 - some nice passes, didn't shine
Davies 8/10 - good attacking, some decent work on the right work
Arteta 8/10 - fantastic goal, shown again why he is so highly-rated
Cahill 7/10 - should really have done better on his headed chance in the first half
Bent 6/10 - ineffective
Ferguson 7/10 - Fantastic goal shamefully disallowed

F*cking referees.
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by afireinside©)

First half, started poorly, infact, took us until after the first goal to even string a few passes together. Sorin and Riquelme were running the show for them, but we were managing to contain them to as few proper efforts on goal as possible.
When they did have chances Nigel Martyn, as usual, was there to stop them going in the back of the net.
Their first goal was a terrible example of why you shouldn't let teams like Villarreal have time on the ball. A lovely one-two between two of their midfielders seen Sorin be left with the ball advancing on the Everton goal - nobody seemed to want to close him down, in fact, it didn't even look like he wanted to shoot until the opportunity was too good to turn down, so he did, took a wicked deflection of the arse of Davey Weir, and went in. One Nil.

Rest of the first half was pretty much how it started. Villarreal were showing why they are regarded as one of the best teams in Spain, fancy footwork, nice flicks here and there, and moments of brilliance from Riquelme.
Evertons best chance of the half came from a long throw-in by Neville, flicked on by Ferguson and Cahill should have done better with the header opportunity presented to him. Half time.

I'm not sure what Moyes said to the Everton team at half time, but straight away they looked more positive. Davies, in particular, was having a great game. Duncan Ferguson could of, and should have, scored from a cross by the impressive Davies, however, he couldn't direct his header and it went wide. A moment of genius from Arteta, half way through the second half, looked like it could have put Everton back into the ascendancy - some neat play on the edge of the Villarreal box ended up in Neville being hacked down; a lovely curling 20-yard free kick into the top corner resulted from Arteta. One One. Everton started to apply more and more pressure from here on in, although the distribution from several players left an awful lot to be desired, often highlighted by mis-placed passes from Tony Hibbert.

In what can only be described as a rush of blood to the head by referee Collina, he disallowed a perfectly good headed goal by Ferguson from an Arteta corner. His reasoning was that Marcus Bent was holding a defender; TV replays show Bent not only didn't have hold of the defender, but he was also having his shirt pulled. This error of judgement by the referee surely has cost Everton £10m +
Two minutes left to go Villarreal scored a second from a good counter attack, with Diego Forlan finishing nicely to put the tie out of Evertons reach. All in all it was a heroic performance by Everton, and the tie was surely hinged on that decision by Collina to disallow a perfectly good Ferguson goal. If it had stood, Everton were in pole position to go on and score again, Villarreal were shook, but, alas, it just wasn't to be.

Roll on the UEFA cup.

My Everton ratings:
Hibbert 5/10 - sh*t
Kilbane 6/10 - often caught out of position, although it's not his favoured position
Cahill 7/10 - should really have done better on his headed chance in the first half
Bent 6/10 - ineffective

F*cking referees.
:knuddel:
oblivious
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Roll on the UEFA cup.

My Everton ratings:
Hibbert 5/10 - sh*t
Bent 6/10 - ineffective

F*cking referees.
Mikel Arteta !! Mikel Arteta !! Mikel Arteta !! Mikel Arteta !! Mikel Arteta !!
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Great goal by Mikel though..
oblivious
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
[QUOTE=afireinside©]Great goal by Mikel though..
{/QUOTE]

I've just watched that about 100 times
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
more importantly...

oblivious
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by technik)
more importantly...

http://www.the-gateway.net/rangers/euro.jpg
rather you than celtic
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
rather you than celtic
celtic are in meltdown...
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I've just watched that about 100 times
Magic
oblivious
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by technik)
celtic are in meltdown...
i've always liked rangers, celtic sing the worst song ever so i had to make a choice.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jamlan)
You seem to put a lot of stock in what Andy Gray thinks.
To quote Kuz, "He is God".

(Original post by jamlan)
I do have to add that i think Drogba's yellow was a bit harsh, even for European football.
:eek:
kpg
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
See you at the draw this afterno.....oh, no, tommorow.

To be serious for a moment, the 2nd Villareal goal showed what is so great about many European sides and why Spanish football is so great. Everton in the first leg barely created a chance through open play (the one they did they scored) and constantly pummeled the ball into the opposition penalty area with long balls looking for Ferguson. Yesterday, Villareal had a bit of panic in one or two instances but had players who were combfortable on the ball from back to front. Players who were prepared to bring the ball and play it out of defence in the 91st minute. Everton had pushed up and left gaps but the composure, precision and simplicity of hte Villareal counter attack was beautiful.
naivesincerity
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If Villarreal go through tomorrow, which is very likely, UEFA will have got exactly what they wanted.
Thats totally paranoid *****. You might not agree with Liverpool being in, but Everton would still have had to play group stages, as Man U did, and who's to say who they would have drawn?
naivesincerity
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Do people here think Arsenal's football is somewhat predictable?
Maybe, but they score enough goals to indicate that its not THAT predictable--plus they are a better side to watch than Chelsea
Gexko
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by naivesincerity)
they are a better side to watch than Chelsea
Used to be.
durhamlad1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hail Hail!
Attached files
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (181)
18.7%
Labour (496)
51.24%
Liberal Democrats (132)
13.64%
Green Party (55)
5.68%
Brexit Party (15)
1.55%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.41%
SNP (15)
1.55%
Plaid Cymru (4)
0.41%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (7)
0.72%
SDLP (1)
0.1%
Ulster Unionist (4)