The Student Room Group
oblivious
I say we give Vaughan a start later in the season, he looked alright when he came on against fulham and when he played against palace last season.

Still think he ain't good enough yet to be given a starting place.
Beattie is a starter, no questions about that; but who to partner him? I don't know the formation Moyes is thinking of, but we've got a lot of midfielders all vying for a starting place now.

Neville/Cahill/Arteta/Van Der Meyde/Davies/Osman/Kilbane

He can even afford to put Van Der Meyde as a second striker, using Killer on the left as usual with Timmy and Mikel in the middle and Davies on the right. Only problem with this is that Neville won't fit in there - and he's a starter IMO.

We have only really got two natural left wingers, VDM and Killer, and Davies has to play on the wing, so if VDM was to play up front, Killer would be the only person who could do the left wing job. Get what I mean?

He could abandon using natural wingers altogether (if VDM was to go as 2nd striker), but that'd be totally defeating the object of buying Davies, so I can't see this happening. Either way, it seems obvious we need to play with two up front, so who will the 2nd striker be?

If Bent/Dunc/Vaughan is playing one of VDM/Timmy/Mikel/Neville/Davies has to be dropped, providing Neville isn't at left back, which he won't be, as Valente/Ferrari will be playing there, so who do you drop then?

So what other formation could he do? IMO VDM must play on the left wing; it's his best position by a mile. So do you then move Timmy up behind Beattie attacking? If so do you then put Mikel in centre mid and Davies on the right, with Neville holding the line behind them? This leave the midfield a little base, especially as VDM/Davies aren't renowned for their defending.. although i'm confident Nevs could do a good job here..

Three in defence? Four in defence? It's got to be four with the signings he's made, no doubt about it. IMO it is Kroldrup as a certain starter with Joey/Ferrari challenging for the spare CB slot, with Nuno and Tony in full back positions.

Nige a certain starter, obviously.

Whaddaya reckon to that?
afireinside©
Still think he ain't good enough yet to be given a starting place.
Beattie is a starter, no questions about that; but who to partner him? I don't know the formation Moyes is thinking of, but we've got a lot of midfielders all vying for a starting place now.

Neville/Cahill/Arteta/Van Der Meyde/Davies/Osman/Kilbane

He can even afford to put Van Der Meyde as a second striker, using Killer on the left as usual with Timmy and Mikel in the middle and Davies on the right. Only problem with this is that Neville won't fit in there - and he's a starter IMO.

We have only really got two natural left wingers, VDM and Killer, and Davies has to play on the wing, so if VDM was to play up front, Killer would be the only person who could do the left wing job. Get what I mean?

He could abandon using natural wingers altogether (if VDM was to go as 2nd striker), but that'd be totally defeating the object of buying Davies, so I can't see this happening. Either way, it seems obvious we need to play with two up front, so who will the 2nd striker be?

If Bent/Dunc/Vaughan is playing one of VDM/Timmy/Mikel/Neville/Davies has to be dropped, providing Neville isn't at left back, which he won't be, as Valente/Ferrari will be playing there, so who do you drop then?

So what other formation could he do? IMO VDM must play on the left wing; it's his best position by a mile. So do you then move Timmy up behind Beattie attacking? If so do you then put Mikel in centre mid and Davies on the right, with Neville holding the line behind them? This leave the midfield a little base, especially as VDM/Davies aren't renowned for their defending.. although i'm confident Nevs could do a good job here..

Three in defence? Four in defence? It's got to be four with the signings he's made, no doubt about it. IMO it is Kroldrup as a certain starter with Joey/Ferrari challenging for the spare CB slot, with Nuno and Tony in full back positions.

Nige a certain starter, obviously.

Whaddaya reckon to that?

It's almost certainly a 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 that we're playing this season like man utd and chelsea

------------------------Martyn------------------------

--Hibbert---------Kroldrup-----Ferrari---------Valente---

------------------------Neville-------------------------

--------------------Arteta--Cahill----------------------

---Davies--------------------------------Van Der Meyde-

-----------------------Beattie-------------------------

I think we'll rely alot on wing play with cahill making frequent runs into the box to latch onto crosses from davies and van der meyde while neville sits back to save us against any counter attack. Arteta will be our midfield playmaker and is the link between davies, van der meyde and beattie.

TBH if kilbane is still a regular in the side i'll be extremely pissed off
oblivious

Very true!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/england/4199592.stm

Will be interesting to see how that fares!

I think Rooney will relish the chance to be upfront on his own!
Shame for Defoe tho! Was lookin forward to see him playing in a competitive game!
mc_watson87
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/england/4199592.stm

Will be interesting to see how that fares!

I think Rooney will relish the chance to be upfront on his own!
Shame for Defoe tho! Was lookin forward to see him playing in a competitive game!

Don't know if it'll work, but it does play Gerrard, Lampard, J Cole and SWP in familiar positions.
Gregor Rasziak - well, thats an interesting one!

Didn't see that one coming - if he can produce the goods like he did for Derby in the Championship, then he could be a good signing!
lol@ 10 men teams are normally arsenal, you would like to think so :P
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/4206450.stm

I think if they only use this for the goal line it'll be okay, but if they get excited and start using technology for the offside rule, it'll be ridiculous. But I reckon cricket requires technology more than football.
Yeah I agree! Don't see how they cud use it for offside anyway! Wud be well difficult to set up!

What does annoy me however is how, when the ball is on the ground, the officials always give throw ons, goal kicks and corners clearly before the ball has crossed the line! The officials seem to think that wen the ball is on the ground, only the centre of the ball, the bit touching the ground has to pass over the line! Well annoying!
darth_vader05
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/4206450.stm

I think if they only use this for the goal line it'll be okay, but if they get excited and start using technology for the offside rule, it'll be ridiculous. But I reckon cricket requires technology more than football.

I don't think that technology is necessary for offside decisions but if it is used for goalline it's going to be very proveful. In some occasions the referre can't decide if the ball has passed the goal line, but I wonder how the technology really works?
mc_watson87
What does annoy me however is how, when the ball is on the ground, the officials always give throw ons, goal kicks and corners clearly before the ball has crossed the line! The officials seem to think that wen the ball is on the ground, only the centre of the ball, the bit touching the ground has to pass over the line! Well annoying!

I find that annoying aswell. I think the linesmen need to get there eyes tested.

I'm not holding my breath on this goal line technology thing becasue the goal that should have been springs to mind :p: :smile:
darth_vader05
I find that annoying aswell. I think the linesmen need to get there eyes tested.

I'm not holding my breath on this goal line technology thing becasue the goal that should have been springs to mind :p: :smile:

Haha yea!
It's all Swings and roundabouts tho, what comes around goes around!
I don't really care that much about it, not *too* many goal line incidents anyway!
I think we had our share of bad luck after that incident, but it'll be interesting to see whether technology works. IMO its ridiculous and a waste of money, but nowadays theres a lot of money riding on each game and its unfair for teams to lose due to a 'technicality'. :smile:
Yup, very true!
mc_watson87
Yeah I agree! Don't see how they cud use it for offside anyway! Wud be well difficult to set up!

I think it's different for throw ins etc. It is only the centre of the ball that has to cross the line. I remember seeing some tv show where these two guys were training to be refs, and they were going over the rules with them. It was a kind of kids show so i shouldn't really have been watching it :redface:

Edit: Although, i've just read something that agrees with you!
jamlan
I think it's different for throw ins etc. It is only the centre of the ball that has to cross the line. I remember seeing some tv show where these two guys were training to be refs, and they were going over the rules with them. It was a kind of kids show so i shouldn't really have been watching it :redface:

Edit: Although, i've just read something that agrees with you!

Woh really? =O
Didn't think that! :eek:
I just assumed it was always the same for every line.
Curious!

*looks for Fifa rules*
Reply 26617

Not a nice choice!
Eriksson showing once again why is he completely the wrong person for the job.
Surely somebody with bags of experience in this situation (a la Philly Neville) should be given the nod!
oblivious
It's almost certainly a 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 that we're playing this season like man utd and chelsea

------------------------Martyn------------------------

--Hibbert---------Kroldrup-----Ferrari---------Valente---

------------------------Neville-------------------------

--------------------Arteta--Cahill----------------------

---Davies--------------------------------Van Der Meyde-

-----------------------Beattie-------------------------

I think we'll rely alot on wing play with cahill making frequent runs into the box to latch onto crosses from davies and van der meyde while neville sits back to save us against any counter attack. Arteta will be our midfield playmaker and is the link between davies, van der meyde and beattie.

HAHA! £1million he isn't worth £1,000 sale of the century!

Latest