One stylish b*stard :rofl:
where do u get that cardigan from?
Kuz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by SideView)
how about Ian Wright as manager! Yesterday after the final whistle talking with Gary he was so upset....i was cracking up ...he was so gutted that we lost he has plenty of passion for England..what a legend
He's just an avid supporter, he has said that he never wants to go into management and good on him because he actually has a great personality unlike most footballers and ex-footballers, so in retirement he is much more suited to being a tv personality and pundit.... Your right though absolute legend!
Rainy
Badges: 14
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by endeavour)
So would that be:

J.Cole, Gerrard/Lampard, Carrick, SWP ?
sounds much more balanced than the current setup, but Sven just doesn't have the balls to drop any of Gerrard, Lampard or darling David (who can pass but can't tackle to save his life), let alone 2.
I knew we were in for trouble when he admitted that he held a meeting with senior members of the first team to "sort out the midfield, once and for all". Clearly, it still needs a lot of work / complete makeover.
Something similar to that. If our players can't cope with fancy formations, and our top centre-minds are awful together, then something has to be done. Whether I'd drop Beckham is a good question, but for the next qualifier I wouldn't mind starting a team of

Robinson
Young Carragher Ferdinand Cole
Beckham Carrick Gerrard Cole
Crouch Owen,

Although the personnel could be changed during the match (ie Lampard for Gerrard, SWP for Cole etc) if it must be the case. At the end of the day, it's straightforward and it's balanced.
Ziggy Stardust
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Raindance)
Robinson
Crouch Owen,
:rofl: - Carrick? Crouch? wtf!
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by afireinside©)
:rofl: - Carrick? Crouch? wtf!
You suggest a player who could play alongside Gerrard or Lampard and another who's eligible to play alongside Owen. Defoe + Owen would be suicide, as would AJ+Owen/AJ+Defoe.
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You suggest a player who could play alongside Gerrard or Lampard and another who's eligible to play alongside Owen. Defoe + Owen would be suicide, as would AJ+Owen/AJ+Defoe.
In my opinion Gerrard shouldn't be an automatic starter. He's been awful for England recently, and it can't be blamed solely on the formation. Lampard shown last season that he's a far better all-round player than Gerrard. I'd rather work the team around him instead of Stevie G Laaa.
I don't think Crouch should be in the squad, let alone the starting eleven!

TBH I don't think Owen should be given an automatic place, but out of those you mentioned i'd probably pick Defoe to partner him. Quality player, scores from inside and outside of the area, proven in the premiership against quality teams plus the rest of the team is full of goalscoring midfielders already a la Lampard, Cole, Beckham..

I'd go for a midfield of SWP Beckham Lampard Cole, with Darren Bent and Defoe/Owen up front. As a national manager it's your job to pick players who are performing well and who are deserving of a place in the team. Bent certainly is (Darren..), and there's no harm in giving him a game!
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
In my opinion Gerrard shouldn't be an automatic starter. He's been awful for England recently, and it can't be blamed solely on the formation. Lampard shown last season that he's a far better all-round player than Gerrard. I'd rather work the team around him instead of Stevie G Laaa.
Eh? All-round player my arse, he can't tackle, doesn't choose to return and cover, sits his arse down on the floor and waits for a shooting opportunity on a golden platter. How many times did he even touch the ball against N Ireland? Counting with 1 hand should suffice. As it is, this season he's had a relatively poor start for both club and country. At least Gerrard has had something about him. In any case, partner him with Beckham and you'll be sure that the only time he sees the ball is when it's flying over his head, and we'll have the poorest (tackling/defensive) midfield in international football.

I don't think Crouch should be in the squad, let alone the starting eleven!

TBH I don't think Owen should be given an automatic place, but out of those you mentioned i'd probably pick Defoe to partner him. Quality player, scores from inside and outside of the area, proven in the premiership against quality teams plus the rest of the team is full of goalscoring midfielders already a la Lampard, Cole, Beckham..
Far too similar a player, you don't need both on the pitch at the same time. Without a "goalscoring midfield", you want strikers who can play the midfield into the attack. This is what Crouch brings. His height in set pieces would definitely be an asset, as we are generally poor at scoring from them.

I'd go for a midfield of SWP Beckham Lampard Cole, with Darren Bent and Defoe/Owen up front. As a national manager it's your job to pick players who are performing well and who are deserving of a place in the team. Bent certainly is (Darren..), and there's no harm in giving him a game!
Ermm, it's a World Cup qualifier!? The same can be said of Crouch, but he's already feautred in the England set-up. Bent is certainly playing well, but I wouldn't give him his chance yet.
Fusion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
england need to bring back sheringham, cole, ferdinand and shearer
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Eh? All-round player my arse, he can't tackle, doesn't choose to return and cover, sits his arse down on the floor and waits for a shooting opportunity on a golden platter. How many times did he even touch the ball against N Ireland? Counting with 1 hand should suffice. As it is, this season he's had a relatively poor start for both club and country. At least Gerrard has had something about him. In any case, partner him with Beckham and you'll be sure that the only time he sees the ball is when it's flying over his head, and we'll have the poorest (tackling/defensive) midfield in international football.
IIRC Lampard was arguably the best midfielder in the Premiership last season, he's helped his club to win 4/4 games this season, he should be picked.
We're playing Austria and Poland, we should score about 5 past both teams; Beckham is happy to track back, and SWP will certainly get back and forward with the pace he's got. Put that together with the 4 defenders and an outstanding goalkeeper and it should make for a pretty safe defensive formation.

Far too similar a player, you don't need both on the pitch at the same time. Without a "goalscoring midfield", you want strikers who can play the midfield into the attack. This is what Crouch brings. His height in set pieces would definitely be an asset, as we are generally poor at scoring from them.
So play Crouch simply because he's massive? Just disregard the fact that he's nothing special and certainly doesn't merit a place in the team? Hardly fair on the players who are deserving of a chance..
I'd rather have several goalscoring midfielders and two great goalscoring strikers. If the strikers don't do their job, the midfielders will and vice-versa.

Ermm, it's a World Cup qualifier!? The same can be said of Crouch, but he's already feautred in the England set-up. Bent is certainly playing well, but I wouldn't give him his chance yet.
As you said, same can be said about Crouch; Bent has been setting the premierleague on fire up to now, I wouldn't hesitate giving him a chance against these two teams.
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
IIRC Lampard was arguably the best midfielder in the Premiership last season, he's helped his club to win 4/4 games this season, he should be picked.
(Highlighted quotes explain themselves)

That may be, but he's done **** all for England. When at Chelsea, he can do as he pleases knowing Makalele's there to pick up the pieces. Beckham, although he enjoys thumping the ball all over the pitch, cannot protect the back four in case of a break. Lampard's incredible tackling masterclass would probably end in a dismissal. If you go back to the NI match, you'll see that it was Gerrard who tore back down the pitch. Where was Fat Frank? Possibly the least stationary player on the pitch - even behind Robinson. Gerrard is, in fact, the only player of the 3 who can tackle anyway.

We're playing Austria and Poland, we should score about 5 past both teams; Beckham is happy to track back, and SWP will certainly get back and forward with the pace he's got. Put that together with the 4 defenders and an outstanding goalkeeper and it should make for a pretty safe defensive formation.
Oh right, like we did against N Ireland, Wales and Denmark? SWP may burst up and down the pitch, but he's no protection for the novice of the team - Luke Young. You can forget about Joe Cole as an extra defender, not that A Cole is too solid a defender either. Our 4 defenders and outstanding goalkeeper have been made a mockery of. I'm certain it's because of lack of protection as well as communication.

So play Crouch simply because he's massive? Just disregard the fact that he's nothing special and certainly doesn't merit a place in the team? Hardly fair on the players who are deserving of a chance..
I'd rather have several goalscoring midfielders and two great goalscoring strikers. If the strikers don't do their job, the midfielders will and vice-versa.
Life isn't fair, you need to wait your turn. Now that Rooney's suspended, we need a player who can complement the team, not a duplicate of what we already have. Crouch is not "simply massive", as has been pointed out to you time after time again. He's not blessed with raw talent a la Rooney/SWP, but he has good technique, a sharp mind, and will compliment "several goalscoring midfielders" as well as a "great goalscoring striker". For the past year whenever the strikers have not done their job, the midfield has been inept to do it for them. Why do you think it'll be any different? What we need to get things rolling again is a stopgap between midfield and attack - not two odd socks, an american-football quarterback and a lazy ball-watcher.
oblivious
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by esx77)
england need to bring back sheringham, cole, ferdinand and shearer
Don't worry Big Sam will when he gets the england job.
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Highlighted quotes explain themselves)
That may be, but he's done **** all for England. When at Chelsea, he can do as he pleases knowing Makalele's there to pick up the pieces. Beckham, although he enjoys thumping the ball all over the pitch, cannot protect the back four in case of a break. Lampard's incredible tackling masterclass would probably end in a dismissal. If you go back to the NI match, you'll see that it was Gerrard who tore back down the pitch. Where was Fat Frank? Possibly the least stationary player on the pitch - even behind Robinson. Gerrard is, in fact, the only player of the 3 who can tackle anyway.
I think whatever team is played against Austria and Poland we will win both games, whether it close to your formation or close to my one.

My point is, Gerrard hasn't impressed at all for England recently, why should he walk straight into the team? Say the same for Lampard, I just believe he's a better player. He's not as bad a tackler as you make out, maybe he's not as dirty as Gerrard on the pitch, doesn't mean he's a bad tackler. Obviously you can't have Gerrard and Lampard in the centre of any midfield together.. so it comes down to choosing one or the other.

Oh right, like we did against N Ireland, Wales and Denmark? SWP may burst up and down the pitch, but he's no protection for the novice of the team - Luke Young. You can forget about Joe Cole as an extra defender, not that A Cole is too solid a defender either. Our 4 defenders and outstanding goalkeeper have been made a mockery of. I'm certain it's because of lack of protection as well as communication.
Hence why the formation I have chosen is rather different to the previous two..
Regarding Luke Young; take him out of the team then. He was clearly the weak link against NI, Phil Neville would do a good job there. So that eliminates the problem of needing extra protection for the right back position. Obviously this game is now more important than the ones against Wales and Northern Ireland, it's not the time to be putting new defenders in. Strikers can afford to make errors, defenders can't. Ashley Cole is a great player, easily the first choice left back in the country.

Life isn't fair, you need to wait your turn. Now that Rooney's suspended, we need a player who can complement the team, not a duplicate of what we already have. Crouch is not "simply massive", as has been pointed out to you time after time again. He's not blessed with raw talent a la Rooney/SWP, but he has good technique, a sharp mind, and will compliment "several goalscoring midfielders" as well as a "great goalscoring striker". For the past year whenever the strikers have not done their job, the midfield has been inept to do it for them. Why do you think it'll be any different? What we need to get things rolling again is a stopgap between midfield and attack - not two odd socks, an american-football quarterback and a lazy ball-watcher.
If Downing were available, i'd choose him to be left wing over Joe Cole any time; but he isn't. As for the striking positions it's still up for debate. Against any team Rooney should start, but he's obviously banned. Crouch has never done a thing for England, nor has Darren Bent. Isn't Crouch injured for two weeks? I agree he's outstanding at flicking the ball on, but he's never an international player. Play Bent, whats the worst that can happen? If he's playing that bad he could always be substituted.. Owen/Defoe for me.
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Team for next England game: Robnson, Ifil, King, Dawson, Davenport, Routledge, Jenas, Carrrick, Brown, Defoe, Barnard.

Yeahhhhhhh!
kpg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Gerrard has been dreadful for England for a few years now and Sven clearly hasn't got a clue how to use him - he used to be stuck out on the left but now he's just drifting around the pitch without a clue what his role in the side is.

And that's coming from a Liverpool fan. (Mind you I would prefer it if he just wasnt picked at all so then he couldnt get injured or tapped up )
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kpg)
Gerrard has been dreadful for England for a few years now and Sven clearly hasn't got a clue how to use him - he used to be stuck out on the left but now he's just drifting around the pitch without a clue what his role in the side is.

And that's coming from a Liverpool fan. (Mind you I would prefer it if he just wasnt picked at all so then he couldnt get injured or tapped up )
As I say, he shouldn't be picked automatically just because of his reputation.
He's a great player, no doubting that, just needs to be put in the right position. If England could afford to give him a free role in the middle of the park he'd thrive in it.
Kuz
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Robinson
Crouch Owen
Sorry but you'd play Crouch over Rooney, thats madness
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Kuz)
Notice his pro-Liverpool bias. Crouch can be useful though but to choose him over Rooney, despite needing to grow up a lot, baffles me.

Then again placing Ferdinand over Terry is a joke. The best defender in the CL awards last season not even in the England squad!
non-centrally acting
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Kuz)
Rooney's suspended :rolleyes:
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ls/4229036.stm

"There would be no better man to replace Eriksson. Sam would have no problems dropping big-name players." LOL. So true.
Kuz
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't know about Terry for Ferdinand because to me, Terry has more presence and agression (something def lacking from England atm) but I believe that Ferdinand is a better defender technically. I believe at his best when really determined Ferdinand is better than Terry because Terry just seems to use his size and power, whereas Ferdinand is actually a technically gifted defender, and uses his other attributes like size when required.

I don't understand as well why Gerrard IS an immediate start, I would play Lampard in front of him anyday. If a midfielder likes to go forward well it better be for a valid reason, ie. assists and attempts on goal. Lampard out classes Gerrard in this aspect so I'd play him before Gerrard anyday.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (115)
19.46%
Labour (299)
50.59%
Liberal Democrats (77)
13.03%
Green Party (30)
5.08%
Brexit Party (7)
1.18%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.51%
SNP (13)
2.2%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.51%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
1.02%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (3)