This discussion is closed.
Zapsta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by piginapoke)
Has he done an FHM centerfold yet?

I've not seem him but everyone who has says he looks the dog's *******s. Wasn't it £2m just for the option of being first to talk to him when he becomes legal?
I've got this video of him playing for America U19s (I think) against Jamaica U19s (I think). Wins the ball about halfway between the halfway line and edge of Jamaica's area, runs back a bit to get in space, turns back and runs round (rather than just away from) about six players and whacks the ball against the crossbar from just outside the area. I couldn't help shouting "RETARD!" at the monitor.
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by XTinaA)
They were talking about Rooney for a while before his goal against Arsenal that day, they earmarked him as a special (possibly world-beating) talent while he was still in the youth team, if that's any measure of Rooney's rating.

But then the English press is far too quick off the gun anyway.
Agreed, comparisons to Pele, Maradonna, Matthews, Charlton etc are not only speculative but put a lot of pressure on him which he doesn't need, we should just let him play.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Very few hot youth players go on to improve and improve til they're among the best in the world. Ronaldo is the notable exception that springs to mind; Owen was mooted but has he really improved? He's not really world class. Same with Joe Cole. We'll have to wait and see how Freddy Adu turns out.
And most of the real world class players were never hyped up, they just appeared and made their names through their actual, not potential performances.

From what I hear Adu's a bit crap but has been hyped up by the media on a scale not seen over here, you know what the Americans are like, but when he plays DC sell up to 10,000 extra tickets so they can see him complete the fairytale.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
And most of the real world class players were never hyped up, they just appeared and made their names through their actual, not potential performances.

From what I hear Adu's a bit crap but has been hyped up by the media on a scale not seen over here, you know what the Americans are like, but when he plays DC sell up to 10,000 extra tickets so they can see him complete the fairytale.
true i havent really seen adu to play much but one game i saw he wasnt that amazing
LH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
true i havent really seen adu to play much but one game i saw he wasnt that amazing
But how could any player live up to the hype he's had? He was the next Weah/Pele/Maradona before he'd even played a competitive match.
mc_watson87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
I saw Adu play for U.S.A under 19s against Man United Reserves. He scored 1 or 2 (can't remember) and set up one. He was quality aswell. That is when United got interested in him.
mc_watson87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Chelsea have first refusal on him though, they've paid for the privilege.
(Original post by mc_watson87)
I think Chelsea may have bought first option on him for when he is 18, for 3 million quid.
We have had this conversation about 2 weeks ago
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
bristol city playoff kickoff soon! cmon city!
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
nooo city has lost
makesomenoise
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Happy for Brighton and especially Leon Knight, he used to go to my school

Then he was offloaded to Brighton by Chelsea because they got Carlton Cole :rolleyes:
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
almost certain now that england will be playing in a diamand formation against france - what ddoes everyone think about this?
chats
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
anyone watching the playoff? pretty boring at the moment
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/3535665.stm

what does everyone think about the new EC song?
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
unlucky eh expression, huddersfield win
LH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
If England play a Beckham...Scholes...Gerrard...La mpard midfield or even put Dyer in instead of Scholes they stand a chance of drawing, possibly winning.
4Ed
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
If England play a Beckham...Scholes...Gerrard...La mpard midfield or even put Dyer in instead of Scholes they stand a chance of drawing, possibly winning.
but apparently butt will get the nod since england need to contain zidane...

can the england back line be trusted to contain henry, zidane, pires and trezeguet... terry isn't that quick is he?
makesomenoise
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
but apparently butt will get the nod since england need to contain zidane...

can the england back line be trusted to contain henry, zidane, pires and trezeguet... terry isn't that quick is he?
We can trust Neville to at least help contain Henry and Pires, he's done that well all season. Campbell's fastish too.

And I'd disagree with LH's recommendation for the England midfield, it offers no proper cover for French counterattacks. It's four central midfielders, none of whom have an inclination to defend and two of whom will face reduced effectiveness through playing on the flanks. Though Dyer is a good sugeestion. I doubt Sven will think so though.
4Ed
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by XTinaA)
We can trust Neville to at least help contain Henry and Pires, he's done that well all season. Campbell's fastish too.

And I'd disagree with LH's recommendation for the England midfield, it offers no proper cover for French counterattacks. It's four central midfielders, none of whom have an inclination to defend and two of whom will face reduced effectiveness through playing on the flanks. Though Dyer is a good sugeestion. I doubt Sven will think so though.
steven gerrard can tackle rather well actually. what we really need is players who can intercept the balls going to the flair players on the french team. i don't think dyer's that sort of player actually - he's more of an attacking midfielder as well.

what about the front pairing - Owen and Rooney? can we rely on them to cause trouble up front?
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
steven gerrard can tackle rather well actually. what we really need is players who can intercept the balls going to the flair players on the french team. i don't think dyer's that sort of player actually - he's more of an attacking midfielder as well.

what about the front pairing - Owen and Rooney? can we rely on them to cause trouble up front?

Exactly. England have a bit of a lack of players in that role in midfield, which is why i think butt belongs there.
Dyer certainly would not fill that role, although he may be useful in other games.

Owen has alot of pace, so he will be a problem for the french defence, but Rooney maybe less so.
I think against Rooney, the french defences experience will show, and he may not get a chance to perform.
4Ed
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Iluvatar)
Exactly. England have a bit of a lack of players in that role in midfield, which is why i think butt belongs there.
Dyer certainly would not fill that role, although he may be useful in other games.

Owen has alot of pace, so he will be a problem for the french defence, but Rooney maybe less so.
I think against Rooney, the french defences experience will show, and he may not get a chance to perform.
bring back Ray Parlour for England
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (409)
43.65%
No (98)
10.46%
I'm not old enough (430)
45.89%

Watched Threads