The Ultimate Football Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
JoeFen
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
We also seem to get penalty decisions waved away in games against chelsea.

Check out the best post match interview ever!

Here!
Rainy
Badges: 14
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by El Chueco)
hence the wink that post was meant to wind the chelski fans up. moorinho seemed to be playing to avoid defeat - it was Rafa who seemed the most attacking. and where does all this passion go when we play au prem?
What are you on about. The sign of any positive, attacking team is obviously to replace the top striker with a low-order CD in order to nick the game at the end. :rolleyes:

As for the Prem, I think we have a mental block we need to shake off atm. With Europe, it's our domain. We're the Champions and so we'll attack anything that's against us. Unfortunately, we haven't had much headway thus far in the league, and as soon as we pick our heads up, there'll be no weekendly Fortress Anfield or Premiership Title come May.
JoeFen
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I would have preferred a loss last night if it meant a win on Sunday.

If we can beat Betis away then we can do Anderlecht and I'm confident we can win the other two home games left.

But we really need to get our league form on track and making chelsea stumble temporarily would be grand. Plus they have Manure a few games after us, another potential defeat.
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
Supa gows in de san... we lav it!

What an idiot... :rofl:
El Stevo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Raindance)
What are you on about. The sign of any positive, attacking team is obviously to replace the top striker with a low-order CD in order to nick the game at the end. :rolleyes:
my bad but next time i reckon Cudicini will be coming on to replace Crespo with 10 to go - send big Petr Cech up front Man City style...
As for the Prem, I think we have a mental block we need to shake off atm.
we started scoring - thats a start. albeit 1 in 4 being an OG doesnt bode well, but at least we have found the net...
With Europe, it's our domain. We're the Champions and so we'll attack anything that's against us.
Raindance for Manager!
Unfortunately, we haven't had much headway thus far in the league, and as soon as we pick our heads up, there'll be no weekendly Fortress Anfield or Premiership Title come May.
i think we'll start doing better should Rafa do something like this on a weekend...

Reina

Finnan Carra Hyypia Warnock

Garcia Gerrard...........Alonso Riise
..Cisse

Morientes

Simao would be a nice late Crimbo present...
El Stevo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Supa gows in de san... we lav it!

What an idiot... :rofl:
somebody just saw Frampard in his Oscar winning TV role!
kpg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
We wont change the system for Sunday, Sissoko may come in for Didi and Cisse/Garcia may lose out to Pongolle/Riise but that's about it I'd imagine.
JoeFen
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Thought Pongolle played well when he came on. He has a much better turn of pace than ladyboy Garcia.
El Stevo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kpg)
We wont change the system for Sunday, Sissoko may come in for Didi and Cisse/Garcia may lose out to Pongolle/Riise but that's about it I'd imagine.
didi is a legend. i like to see him play - he instils confidence . but this alonso gerrard partnership has the potential to be great. rafa has the basics of squad that can play well in many formations with didi, gerrard, xabi and garcia. straight middle two of gerrard and alonso, or middle two + garcia as attacking, middle two + didi as defending. the ingredients of the cake are there - its just needs mixing and adding extra clout to. like simao/joaquin on the right, kewell playing like he should.
kpg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
didi is a legend. i like to see him play - he instils confidence . but this alonso gerrard partnership has the potential to be great.
Not against Lampard, Essien and Makelele it doesn't. Not yet anyway.

Didi was brilliant last night so it all depends on fitness and his ability to play 2 tough games in the space of 4 days. Sissoko would certainly allow us to hold a higher line which we did in the 2nd half and also even up the contest against Essien who's built like an ox.
El Stevo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kpg)
Not against Lampard, Essien and Makelele it doesn't. Not yet anyway. Didi was brilliant last night so it all depends on fitness and his ability to play 2 tough games in the space of 4 days. Sissoko would certainly allow us to hold a higher line which we did in the 2nd half and also even up the contest against Essien who's built like an ox.
potential :p: and plus we cant all look for the best players in the world and then buy them. we have to be astute and mix and match. and i think within a year or so our midfield will seriosuly rock. xabi's only young, as are sissoko/garcia and gerrard is hardly drawing his pension.
kpg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yes potential but at the moment I think they'd get caned by Chelsea. Last night we were excellent in the middle without Gerrard firing. If we play just Xabi and Stevie we'd be basically leaving a free man in midfield in Lampard and however poor he was last night he could hurt us.

If we do want to play 2 upfront though the best set up would probably be something like

Reina
Finnan Carra Sami Jimmy
-------Sissoko/Didi-------
-Ste G ------Xabi-------JAR/LG
---------Cisse/Pongolle-----------
----------Crouch---------------
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kpg)
I've really given up on trying to predict Benitez's teamsheets. He never fails to come up with something new; "closed heart" my arse.

As for our midfield 3some, the reason why they couldn't fire was largely down to Chelsea's quality. Branted, Lampard was ineffective, but Essien is defo "built like an ox" and Gerrard was having to wrestle with Maka. Against inferior opposition, Gerrard would easily have shaken off the shackles to leg it up in support of my man Rodney; Alonso would have had time and space to weave his magic, and Didi will still have most AMs strung up by the ankles - though probably not for much longer ( :bawling: ). Alonso, for me, was immense yesterday.
What we really do lack, however, is a winger. I don't mind Garcia do his thing as, although wasteful, he does pop-up and spring a few surprises. Simao would have been an excellent buy in the summer, and we know how that turned out, but we just have to make do. Unfortunately, Cisse just could not turn it on against Gallas, but Sinama looked quite tasty. I'm really wanting to see Kewell stand up and make himself known, that'd be as good as any new signing. We really do have the quality and resources for it. The only real problem with our 4-2-3-1 is that the 3 have to support the 1 or we're up **** creek. Once we get the last-third sorted we'll be unstoppable.
kpg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Just heard that Gerrard picked up a thigh injury early in the first half and would've been taken off if Sissoko was availible.
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kpg)
Just heard that Gerrard picked up a thigh injury early in the first half and would've been taken off if Sissoko was availible.
Yeh, 'twas Essien wasn't it... "industrial" being the kinded euphemism I've heard for their midfield. You reckon he'll be back for the weekend?
kpg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The fella on ynwa.tv (personal friend of Gerrard, nice little goldmine of information) says he should be ok. And yup it was Essien. I thought Lampard broke Gerrard's leg in the 2nd half too, hope Steven hasn't forgotten about it for Sunday.
El Stevo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kpg)
The fella on ynwa.tv (personal friend of Gerrard, nice little goldmine of information) says he should be ok. And yup it was Essien. I thought Lampard broke Gerrard's leg in the 2nd half too, hope Steven hasn't forgotten about it for Sunday.
i dont think alonso's forgotten what Frampard did to him on New Years either...
JoeFen
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i dont think alonso's forgotten what Frampard did to him on New Years either...
that tackle on Gerrard's ankle by Lumpard was a carbon copy of Alonso'd. He's a vile tackler Lumpard but I don't know if he's just reckless or just a c***.
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by JoeFen)
that tackle on Gerrard's ankle by Lumpard was a carbon copy of Alonso'd. He's a vile tackler Lumpard but I don't know if he's just reckless or just a c***.
Whatever he is, he's almost becoming a dirty, useless player. Opta ratings, tbh, show pretty much **** all. Statistics become irrelevent when you actually watch a match.

I was more pissed off about Terry refusing Alonso's hand after the whistle.
kpg
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Just heard that Everton are going 4 4 2 tonight

4 in the Gladys St
4 in the Park End
and 2 in the Lower Bullens

Boom boom tish...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (153)
46.93%
No (42)
12.88%
I'm not old enough (131)
40.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed