The Ultimate Football Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
username9303
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by naivesincerity)
I think the NI formation should have worked..but I'd like to see..: 3-3-2-1-1 formation

Robinson

Terry(c) Campbell Carragher

Young(wingback) Beckham A.Cole(wingback)

Lampard Gerrard

Rooney(free role)

Defoe

The mod won't let me lay it out properly
ah you need to put......... to get things into place. the only problem with that team selection is you have no width. young can run but then you've got no-one to cross over and take the ball. it worked like a dream with g. neville and beckham for man utd, and still does with heinze and giggs/ronaldo - so you need at least one of: s. w-p, j. cole, richardson playing or its such a narrow team.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Raindance)
Lol, aiming for the slowest defense in the competition? I don't really understand all these calls for Terry as captain. He isn't even among the first names on the teamsheet!
Because he is a leader on the pitch whether you like it or not, unlike that muppet, David Beckham.
username9303
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Lol, aiming for the slowest defense in the competition? I don't really understand all these calls for Terry as captain. He isn't even among the first names on the teamsheet!
very true, there was something mentioned before the austria game about the two types of defenders england have, physical and comfortable. campbell and terry are good at battering people, but once they have the ball all they do is hoof it up field. thats why playing ferdinand is a no-brainer, hes fast and he starts attacks. anyone who follows united can see that.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by afireinside©)
Englands team for German 2006 (in my opinion)

------------------Robinson----------------
G. Neville-----Campbell-----Terry*1----A.Cole
------------------------------------------
Beckham-----Gerrard-----Lampard----J.Cole*2
------------------------------------------
------------Rooney-------Owen-----------
*1 = or Ferdinand.
*2 = replace with suitable player if you disagree.

Back to basics!
2nded. :cool:
Rainy
Badges: 14
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by afireinside©)
Back to basics!
As good as any other suggested team, imo, if they're all on form.
naivesincerity
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Tony Adams was slow and so was Hansen but they were still superb defenders......There's no point being quick if you don't position yourself well, or if, as in Rio's case, you look like you don't give a toss at times.
naivesincerity
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Why not?
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
As good as any other suggested team, imo, if they're all on form.
Aye. If they are all on form and playing out of their skin we'd be amazing, trouble is, that hasn't been the case for years!
Still, on paper we've got one of the best teams in the tournament, obviously taking away Brazil and the likes.
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Because he is a leader on the pitch whether you like it or not, unlike that muppet, David Beckham.
He most definitely is, albeit for Chelsea. He was probably the least inspiring player on the pitch yesterday; uncommitted, simple mistakes cost. I have never seen him stamp authority on an england game as he does for Chelsea, and hasn't exactly excellend himself on the international stage for a while.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I have a feeling Argentina will go far in this tournament.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
He most definitely is, albeit for Chelsea. He was probably the least inspiring player on the pitch yesterday; uncommitted, simple mistakes cost. I have never seen him stamp authority on an england game as he does for Chelsea, and hasn't exactly excellend himself on the international stage for a while.
True. But we know that for some unknown reason, many players, and not just Terry, seem to excel for club but not for country. I just wonder if it's anything to do with management. :confused:
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by naivesincerity)
Tony Adams was slow and so was Hansen but they were still superb defenders......There's no point being quick if you don't position yourself well, or if, as in Rio's case, you look like you don't give a toss at times.
Because Carragher, Terry and Campbell are effectively the same player. You need contrasts in a team who bring various, yet suited qualities. With those 3 there's very little pace and technique, just strong and committed defenders. It'd be like playing Defoe with Owen up front.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
So then have Ferdinand with Terry as a partnership then.
naivesincerity
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I've adapted the team.......I still think Rio needs to show more concentration and commitment to deserve a place though. I think he's complacent
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
True. But we know that for some unknown reason, many players, and not just Terry, seem to excel for club but not for country. I just wonder if it's anything to do with management. :confused:
Definitely. We need decent man management from the coach, not least motivation of the team as a whole. Tactics and strategy means a lot, as does getting decent time put in on the training pitch to get some awareness and gelling.
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
So then have Ferdinand with Terry as a partnership then.
Sure, but if they don't perform then I won't have them sitting smugly in their positions. Campbell, Carra and King all have more than valid claims.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No not King right now please.
naivesincerity
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
My England 1990-2005 dream team

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Seaman

-------------------------------------------------------------Neville-----------Adams--------Walker-------------Pearce

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Robson(c)

-------------------------Beckham(maybe Lamps/Gerrard)-----------------Gazza------------------------Waddle

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Beardsley

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Lineker
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
Who would you take to Germany?
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Who would you take to Germany?
My girlfriend, if I had one
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (91)
33.46%
No I don't (127)
46.69%
I work during the holidays (54)
19.85%

Watched Threads