The Ultimate Football Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
rmyl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by sarforaz)
Owen just has a hunters skill, hes meant to drift away and lurk and then score - thats his talent, and it works great
and no Terry should not be captain, he smells- should be Gary Neville :p:
(and yes i was joking about the team mascot aka david james)
If Gerrad and Lampard were to be played
would you pick SWP or Beckahm?
hmmmm, thats a difficult one. SWP is still a bit nervy at the edges, but that plays to his advantage too. I love his dibbling touch, very nifty feet. But you can't really compare him to DB, he can't really cross the ball like Beckham, hold up play like Beckham, or seem to have any attitude. That'll come with time, but as it stands I think SWP would have to be a sub IF Gerrard and Lampard are played together.
Right now, I just don't see how Stevie and Frank fit in together. Hopefully the friendlies before the tournament will iron out this dilemna.
Né Stig
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Good performance today by:
- Ledley King
- Joe Cole
- Shaun Wright Phillips

Bad performances today by:
- Luke Young (When did this guy ever deserve a starting place?) - He's so inexperienced and looses the ball way too often.

Happy with the result though Still can't understand the substitutions at the end. Jermaine Jenas, Alan Smith? Oh please. The pair of them are just pants. There was no need for their introduction. It was not a friendly.
Rainy
Badges: 14
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by rmyl)
true, yet Micheal Owen as reserve captain doesn't fit. He just doesn't seem to have the right character or position to play that role in my opinion.
I'm not saying Beckham's a bad captain, in fact I think he's done the job very well. I just think that Terry does a lot of the verbal captaincy and general holding of the team, that is needed for some of the younger players that are edging their way into the team now.
At Chelsea, yes, but not in the england set up. Saturday he was a liability, and hardly inspired our defense. He doesn't seem to be commanding or inspiring; his shoddy positioning helped lead to the goal. Whether there's the presence of too many 'captains' on the pitch, or a discord as a personal level, I cannot say.

You mustn't misunderstand me though, I'm no way belittling him or his game - I just think calling for him to be captaincy at present is not the way we should be going.
rmyl
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Raindance)
At Chelsea, yes, but not in the england set up. Saturday he was a liability, and hardly inspired our defense. He doesn't seem to be commanding or inspiring; his shoddy positioning helped lead to the goal. Whether there's the presence of too many 'captains' on the pitch, or a discord as a personal level, I cannot say.

You mustn't misunderstand me though, I'm no way belittling him or his game - I just think calling for him to be captaincy at present is not the way we should be going.
fair enough, i donno. he does make mistakes, but i think he has the potential to become a England great. Captaincy or not, he does have an influence on the game, more than ferdinand seems to be nowadays (he's quitened down recently, not that he's lost his defending capabilities as such, but he seems less prominant now that his place is being contested for, which you would think would spur him on) :p:
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i agree with raindance, you have all these great leading players for their clubs, come into an environment of a lot of them stuck together, well perhaps they dont know how to act or how much to speak out or how much to try and assert their presence..
maybe thats why Rooney shines? hes just too stupid to care and just plays without a thought :p:
fernando
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Wahey! Finally a performance (although I missed the first half). More of the same please, apart from the ridiculous substitutions - Jenas & Smith? Wtf?!
i would have rather bent come on and give him a chance even if it was half an hour
rmyl
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i agree with raindance, you have all these great leading players for their clubs, come into an environment of a lot of them stuck together, well perhaps they dont know how to act or how much to speak out or how much to try and assert their presence..
maybe thats why Rooney shines? hes just too stupid to care and just plays without a thought :p:
lol, yeah :p: bless him, so much distance between those ears, but not much in that space :rolleyes:
I think this affects the chelsea players mostly then, probs because they're so used to winning and thats the way they've been thought to play, to each take control of the game.
hmmmmm, this is a tough one sherlock :s:
oblivious
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Owen just has a hunters skill, hes meant to drift away and lurk and then score - thats his talent, and it works great
and no Terry should not be captain, he smells- should be Gary Neville :p:
(and yes i was joking about the team mascot aka david james)
If Gerrad and Lampard were to be played
would you pick SWP or Beckahm?
ERR Gary Neville has a horrible tash so no.
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by rmyl)
fair enough, i donno. he does make mistakes, but i think he has the potential to become a England great. Captaincy or not, he does have an influence on the game, more than ferdinand seems to be nowadays (he's quitened down recently, not that he's lost his defending capabilities as such, but he seems less prominant now that his place is being contested for, which you would think would spur him on) :p:
Sure, definitely. He's a great player, and perhaps a defensive midfileder to protect him will help. It's just a very different environment from the cushioning he has at Chelsea compared to England. We haven't really gelled, there isn't an obvious defensive partnership, and there's often no defensive midifleder to step in. I actually thought Ferdinand had a very good game tonight, brought the ball out well and looked interested.
Zerforax
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
well tbh the defense didnt have a ton to do.. felt bad for Carra, seemed to find it kinda hard to be on the left..but ah well cant have it all.
i thought J.Cole played well him and Rooney seem to be the only ones normally who try and force forwards, rather than the usual 'pass around and cross in' that england do...
silence
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by walshie)
Bad performances today by:
- Luke Young (When did this guy ever deserve a starting place?) - He's so inexperienced and looses the ball way too often.
i thought like young was pretty good. although the poland goal was his fault, he played very well otherwise.. crouch was crap, again.
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
well tbh the defense didnt have a ton to do.. felt bad for Carra, seemed to find it kinda hard to be on the left..but ah well cant have it all.
i thought J.Cole played well him and Rooney seem to be the only ones normally who try and force forwards, rather than the usual 'pass around and cross in' that england do...
Yes, he did well. But in all honesty, we need a left winger to play on the left wing - not an AM-turn-RW. He's usually huff and no puff, but today he got some decent crosses in too. SWP, for all the ball he had and the space he was sometimes offered, failed to break their defnesive lines, nor deliver any crosses of merit. Playing a bit part role at Chelsea obviously hasn't aided his career.
rmyl
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Sure, definitely. He's a great player, and perhaps a defensive midfileder to protect him will help. It's just a very different environment from the cushioning he has at Chelsea compared to England. We haven't really gelled, there isn't an obvious defensive partnership, and there's often no defensive midifleder to step in. I actually thought Ferdinand had a very good game tonight, brought the ball out well and looked interested.
yeah, like i said earlier, he overlapped well with Ledley King and stuff. He's just not the £30m, or whatever it was, player that he was when he seemed to command the defence. Maybe thats why he was dropped the other day in favour of campbell.

Robinson looked pretty solid again today. Let one slip, albeit a pretty damn good volley of a goal. Unfortunately, i reckon that was a bit poor defending on luke youngs part that goal. he drifted away from his mark when it mattered most, by the goal! :p: But, he'll learn from it, i'm sure. I don't think he played all that bad (Luke Young). Played well along the length of the wing, and fitted pretty snug into the back four. True, he made some mistakes, but I think thats his inexperience showing. whoo knoooows :p:
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by silence)
crouch was crap, again.
Behave. He was brought on because we were offering nothing down the wings and our players were tying up. It was time to play a more direct game to relieve pressure as opposed to running it out, and he facilitated this. It wasn't a good game, but he did what was asked of him, kept closing down, and filled in at the back.

Tbh, the Poland goal was a defensive piss up in general.
Zerforax
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well we don't have a natural great left winger, when theres A.Cole playing and crosses over and heads to attack, works nicely with J.cole too, who IMO is the best to play on the left for now...
and idunno about SWP.. he did manage to trouble them quite a bit down the side but he does def need to improve his crosses... its his speed which is his greatest advantage.. Beckham is pretty slow nowerdays comapred to before.. doesnt really break and cross like he used to.. and i dont like his hair :p:
Zerforax
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yeup.. that was Young's fault mostly i felt..
yes england fell asleep a bit and some nice breakaway by Poland but had Yound just marked the man wouldve been easier to hassle the striker and force him under pressure to miss hopefully..
on top of that, Young was the player who put 2! Polish players into play.. they wouldve been off-side..
we need G.Neville back!
Xenon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
That was down to carragher being out of position I think. But it was very frustrating to knolw that they can still concede goals like that when they were in a good position.
rmyl
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well we don't have a natural great left winger, when theres A.Cole playing and crosses over and heads to attack, works nicely with J.cole too, who IMO is the best to play on the left for now...
and idunno about SWP.. he did manage to trouble them quite a bit down the side but he does def need to improve his crosses... its his speed which is his greatest advantage.. Beckham is pretty slow nowerdays comapred to before.. doesnt really break and cross like he used to..
and i dont like his hair :p:
You're right there! its getting far too long!!! he's well sexy when its all ruffled and short
rmyl
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
we need G.Neville back!
never forget the Gaz Miester!
Bless him, his no frills role is so underated :p:
(i'm not being sarcy there btw, he's a brilliant defender, nothing special or extrovert, but then does he need to be?? that is the question! :p: ) hehe

my my, i'm getting tired :p:
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
and idunno about SWP.. he did manage to trouble them quite a bit down the side but he does def need to improve his crosses... its his speed which is his greatest advantage.. Beckham is pretty slow nowerdays comapred to before.. doesnt really break and cross like he used to.. and i dont like his hair :p:
Downing.

Get Beckham to keep his nose firmly placed on the touchline and we'd be made up. His crosses from touch and from deep channel are unrivalled, but SWP gives us another option as and when teams get run down.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (53)
17.79%
Labour (147)
49.33%
Liberal Democrats (44)
14.77%
Green Party (20)
6.71%
Brexit Party (4)
1.34%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
1.01%
SNP (5)
1.68%
Plaid Cymru (2)
0.67%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (4)
1.34%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)