The Ultimate Football Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Zapsta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm biased, but I still think I would have gone for King. He's both fast and good in the air, so should be able to deal with both Henry and Trezeguet pretty well. Having said that Carragher would possibly be more useful against Zidane, although considering that he'll be drifting in from the left, he should ideally be dealt with before the centre backs anyway.
theaman
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Zapsta)
I'm biased, but I still think I would have gone for King. He's both fast and good in the air, so should be able to deal with both Henry and Trezeguet pretty well. Having said that Carragher would possibly be more useful against Zidane, although considering that he'll be drifting in from the left, he should ideally be dealt with before the centre backs anyway.
Why is Campbell not on Henry and King on Trezeguet?
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by theaman)
That's a good point actually.

Although Sven's seen what the players can do in training, and decided to use the centre-backs, instead of converting Gary Neville into the centre.
I wouldn't call it a conversion. I'd say that Gary Neville is at the moment a better centre-back than Ledley King. But he is growing as an attacking force too, and with Beckham not doing much for England these days, Neville has a bit more responsibility for us.

What interests me is that people expect Vieira vs Gerrard, and Makelele vs Scholes. Leaving Beckham and Lampard against Pires and Zidane. Worrying.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Trezeguet is an aerial threat. And maybe King is the faster of the two?
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think man marking is going to be slightly dodgy territory considering Henry's tendency to drop deep and Trezeguet's to hang around the box a bit more. Anyway, I'd say that King is quicker on the turn and Campbell better in the air so it should be the other way round, but I'd guess that both players will be instructed to stick near the area and try to cut anything off that comes down their side of the pitch.
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
I wouldn't call it a conversion. I'd say that Gary Neville is at the moment a better centre-back than Ledley King. But he is growing as an attacking force too, and with Beckham not doing much for England these days, Neville has a bit more responsibility for us.

What interests me is that people expect Vieira vs Gerrard, and Makelele vs Scholes. Leaving Beckham and Lampard against Pires and Zidane. Worrying.
Those four players you mentioned won't necessarily be marking each other, but will just be rampaging forward, for the defenders to get hold of.

Gary Neville is a good right-back for England, and links up well with Beckham, and thats where he's a good attacking force. For United, he doesn't do that so much, whereas King does, and is more of a ball-player and attacking force than Gary Neville has been for England.
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Trezeguet is an aerial threat. And maybe King is the faster of the two?
Possibly.

According to Seaman, Ashley Cole is faster than Henry!
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Possibly.

According to Seaman, Ashley Cole is faster than Henry!
According to Seaman, Ronaldinho's lob wasn't going in :rolleyes:
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
According to Seaman, Ronaldinho's lob wasn't going in :rolleyes:
Neither was Nayim's
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Those four players you mentioned won't necessarily be marking each other, but will just be rampaging forward, for the defenders to get hold of.

Gary Neville is a good right-back for England, and links up well with Beckham, and thats where he's a good attacking force. For United, he doesn't do that so much, whereas King does, and is more of a ball-player and attacking force than Gary Neville has been for England.
King's done what for England?

Scores one header and he's an attacking force! Neville's been bombing down the right flank since King was cleaning boots.
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
King's done what for England?

Scores one header and he's an attacking force! Neville's been bombing down the right flank since King was cleaning boots.
King goes forward a lot - like Ferdinand does. He's the ball-playing defender, which complements Campbell, the tough tackler.
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
King goes forward a lot - like Ferdinand does. He's the ball-playing defender, which complements Campbell, the tough tackler.
Fair enough. Neville not as right back would be a bit stupid anyway.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I suppose I'll echo Zapsta's comment.

I get the feeling the game will either be won by a French player or England's tactics. If the game is won at all of course.
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I suppose I'll echo Zapsta's comment.

I get the feeling the game will either be won by a French player or England's tactics. If the game is won at all of course.
I think it'll be 1-1.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think it'll be 1-1.
I predict goalless. The sides might decide it would benefit them to just win the other group games and qualify, and approach the game cagily.

Until Zidane embarrasses Beckham with a flick or trick. Then it's on.
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I predict goalless. The sides might decide it would benefit them to just win the other group games and qualify, and approach the game cagily.

Until Zidane embarrasses Beckham with a flick or trick. Then it's on.
I can't see a goalless affair. Lizarazu could easily be embarassed, considering he's getting on a bit and hasn't really been up to it this past season, and he'll get minimal cover from Zidane. Neville and Beckham should be too much for him and hopefully will allow for them to get some good crosses in. Also Thuram isn't as fast as he was (the same can be said for Desailly if he plays) and Owen and Rooney could cause him problems. Same can be said at our end though, although more down to the attacking threat of France. So... looks like a battle to be won in midfield. I predict 2-1. Not sure who's going to win though.
Baron Huntroyde
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
Dodgy business. i.e. buying players on the back of Euro 2004.
Indeed, such as Diouf, Dien and all the other Senegalese players Liverpool bought on the back of the World Cup.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
cant wait till the euro opening match..
tammypotato
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
cant wait till the euro opening match..
yeah coz france r gona win 3-0
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by tammypotato)
yeah coz france r gona win 3-0
no france is playing in the opening match and they wont win 3-0
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (118)
19.7%
Labour (302)
50.42%
Liberal Democrats (79)
13.19%
Green Party (30)
5.01%
Brexit Party (7)
1.17%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.5%
SNP (13)
2.17%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.5%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
1%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (3)