The Ultimate Football Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
non-centrally acting
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Raindance)
Agreed, I think we need to take both to the WC, and we'll have to see Neville's form once he returns. He's not going to be around forever though, so it's a good thing Young's getting his chance.
i think wes brown should be given a chance to play for england- but the idiots always injured i think gary's becoming like keane- nowadays (when he plays!!) he doesnt get forward much.
Rainy
Badges: 14
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by darth_vader05)
i think wes brown should be given a chance to play for england- but the idiots always injured i think gary's becoming like keane- nowadays (when he plays!!) he doesnt get forward much.
Why Brown? Does he merit being picked above any of Ferdinand, Terry, Campbell, King, Carragher, even Knight? By WC2006 we'll have so much cover for defence the only problem will be who gets to play.
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Darn, Viera said that he wanted to play out his career at Arsenal but Arsenaldidn't try vey hard to convince him to stay. That's so annoying. Had he still been there, maybe we wouldn't have had a poor start to the season.
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
Darn, Viera said that he wanted to play out his career at Arsenal but Arsenaldidn't try vey hard to convince him to stay. That's so annoying. Had he still been there, maybe we wouldn't have had a poor start to the season.
From a short-term financial pov, you could have made the right decision as he'll never fetch as much as he did again. But it has had a massive impact on the team, not least because he was captain, and he could have played in his capacity for a further few seasons.
non-centrally acting
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Why Brown? Does he merit being picked above any of Ferdinand, Terry, Campbell, King, Carragher, even Knight? By WC2006 we'll have so much cover for defence the only problem will be who gets to play.
i meant for him to play RB. potentially he's going to be a great player i think.
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
i meant for him to play RB. potentially he's going to be a great player i think.
I think being 26 without holding down a regular place rules out "potential". Maybe on stand by, but I wouldn't take him. Even if Neville and Young were ineligible for a game, Carra is familiar(ish) to the role.
non-centrally acting
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think being 26 without holding down a regular place rules out "potential". Maybe on stand by, but I wouldn't take him. Even if Neville and Young were ineligible for a game, Carra is familiar(ish) to the role.
he's 26 :eek: i thought he was younger than that!! i think cara is best playing in the centre, he hasnt got the pace to play at RB.
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
he's 26 :eek: i thought he was younger than that!! i think cara is best playing in the centre, he hasnt got the pace to play at RB.
Nop, I'm sure he's 26 - defo been around a long, long time. I agree though, Carra should be kept in the centre, but he can be depended upon if needs be to play as a solid full-back, if sacrificing attack.
Kuz
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
From a short-term financial pov, you could have made the right decision as he'll never fetch as much as he did again. But it has had a massive impact on the team, not least because he was captain, and he could have played in his capacity for a further few seasons.
I agree. We do miss Vieria (more than I thought we would do) but the main reason we have had such a poor start to the season is because we are having to adapt in part to not having the powerful presence in central midfield by changing our style of play to not NEEDING a powerful central midfielder (this is the reason I think we had so many defensive problems earlier on, defence adapting to not having extra help in a sense from the midfield). We are now dealing with this problem in a sense, and NOT trying to rectify it by buying a player than can replace Viera because in truth no-one can. As he is the best player in the world in the position and role that he plays. But by adapting to the more quick face paced style of play that young central midfielders like Flamini and Fabregas can play, gven the games and the chance to get experience they will present a very dominant and techincally minded midfield.
In my mind we will only miss Vieria for a while yet due to his captaining ability which was amazingly influential and powerful. He had no problem filling and bettering Tony Adams shoes as I never even noticed any captaincy transitioning problems when TA did retire. Henry although doing his best is not a TA or a Vieria. Though he is definitely influential, his not powerful! At the moment I can see his visible lack of great command of the pitch and I think this make a long while to strengthen. Which unfortunately will only mean lack of cohesion.
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
i'll agree with that and, to be controversial, I think giving the captaincy to Henry could have been politically motivated to keep him keen. I've always thought a captain should come from CM (even CD) as they are often the most involved and influential of all players, and are able to see things from a wider perspective in comparison to a striker. But Arsene has his reasons, and Henry's neither the first forward captain, nor will he be the last.

Hopefully Henry'll stuff the Mancs & Chelsea next games!
non-centrally acting
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Nop, I'm sure he's 26 - defo been around a long, long time. I agree though, Carra should be kept in the centre, but he can be depended upon if needs be to play as a solid full-back, if sacrificing attack.
you're right he is 26 cara can be depended on but i was shocked to see him playing LB.

thanks btw :top:
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I've always thought a captain should come from CM (even CD) as they are often the most involved and influential of all players, and are able to see things from a wider perspective in comparison to a striker.
I agree. :cool:
non-centrally acting
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ok everyone apart from him and apart from the name you're going to mention next :p:

thats the last time i'm going to post what my sister says :hmpf:
thanks to whoever it was
non-centrally acting
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
I agree. :cool:
CM is also a good position for the captain- viera, keane etc were all CM's. i think the captain has to vocal- i dont understand why scholesy is sometimes given the catains armband for united:confused:
Kuz
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i'll agree with that and, to be controversial, I think giving the captaincy to Henry could have been politically motivated to keep him keen. I've always thought a captain should come from CM (even CD) as they are often the most involved and influential of all players, and are able to see things from a wider perspective in comparison to a striker. But Arsene has his reasons, and Henry's neither the first forward captain, nor will he be the last.

Hopefully Henry'll stuff the Mancs & Chelsea next games!
And how! I never thought about a captain position before but you're right a captain should be central (to have that good vision) and I also think defensively minded (to have the power and determination required)
..... Gerrard 1 out of 2 lol! :p:
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Henry will be carefully watched by Gallas.
Reloaded
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Gallas - the Ashley Cole wannabe
jamlan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
thanks to whoever it was
Supporting ManU does count against you tho :rolleyes:
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Reloaded)
Gallas - the Ashley Cole wannabe
Why on earth would Gallas would be an Ashely Cole wannabe? :confused:
non-centrally acting
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jamlan)
Supporting ManU does count against you tho :rolleyes:
hehe i noticed that i'm a minority at times:p:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (293)
46.36%
No (74)
11.71%
I'm not old enough (265)
41.93%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed