The Ultimate Football Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Rainy
Badges: 14
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
P.S. if we eject Chelsea from the Premiership, it's as close and as entertaining as ever...
Minus Chelsea it would probably turn out to have been one of the best title races in ages...
Ziggy Stardust
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Jump)
Scholes back in the goals!
Oo a play on words!
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Raindance)
Minus Chelsea it would probably turn out to have been one of the best title races in ages...
Absolutely, with more than two top-class teams in the hunt and anyone can beat anyone (maybe not Sunderland).
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I can't not mention Chelsea, so I will state that while I begrudge their overnight success and wealth (no parallels to be drawn with United, our money was earned from prior footballing success), I am satisfied that no one else truly believes their success is authentic.
Yes and entering the stock market and gain money via flotation is really earning your success isn't it? :rolleyes: I'm guessing you haven't studied economics before, or if you have, probably nowhere decent. It's called capitalism so get used to it.

P.S. if we eject Chelsea from the Premiership, it's as close and as entertaining as ever...
No because it will revert back to boring duopoly that was United and Arsenal. Football on the whole, in terms of league contendors, has always been piss poor compared to other sports such as rugby union, rugby league, Gaelic football and so on. The English Premier League would have created as much apathy as voters do for the General Election if it weren't for a new force in the league.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Wow 3-0 that was quick!
non-centrally acting
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Cindy)
Arsenal will make one of those extraordinary comebacks and score something like 5 goals just to prove a point.

PS I hope they don't.
they didnt :party:

its 3nil to united- good to see nistlerooy and rooney scoring
non-centrally acting
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by chats)
C'mon Bolton!
sam allardyce is rumored to become the next newcastle manager :eek: big sam cant leave bolton!!
non-centrally acting
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Wow 3-0 that was quick!
good to see another united fan on here :five:
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Yes and entering the stock market and gain money via flotation is really earning your success isn't it? :rolleyes: I'm guessing you haven't studied economics before, or if you have, probably nowhere decent. It's called capitalism so get used to it.

No because it will revert back to boring duopoly that was United and Arsenal. Football on the whole, in terms of league contendors, has always been piss poor compared to other sports such as rugby union, rugby league, Gaelic football and so on. The English Premier League would have created as much apathy as voters do for the General Election if it weren't for a new force in the league.
On the first point you'd be wrong, I have studied economics. I suggest that flotation would have been meaningless to United had they not been successful and a desirable asset. But I believe it to be a demon of football, since it began football capitalism, a rich-poor divide and loss of competition.

Your second point suggests that you reckon Chelsea have made the Premiership a three-horse race. Even if that were true, why is that any more exciting than a duopoly? It just means one more team is a contender and the majority have no hope, and that still means the mass mediocrity of the likes of Aston Villa. And I contend that as a percentage of the population football allegiange is significantly greater than turnout.

--------------

(Original post by darth_vader05)
good to see another united fan on here :five:
High five!

I don't mind our current winning run at all, and we have many teams we should easily beat to build confidence and morale for before the Arsenal game. Now there's the tricky business of Benfica...
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You've studied economics? A degree? Are you at the LSE by chance?
non-centrally acting
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
nope hes studying maths at man uni !!! im hoping to do the same thing there next year
non-centrally acting
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
High five!
I don't mind our current winning run at all, and we have many teams we should easily beat to build confidence and morale for before the Arsenal game. Now there's the tricky business of Benfica...
Benfica is a must win game if we had beaten Villareal i would have been more relaxed about it.

I'm glad that we're builidng up a winning streak after beating chelsea aswell, because last season after ending arsenal winning streak we lost the next game.

who do you think keane will sign for? :bawling:
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
nope hes studying maths at man uni !!! im hoping to do the same thing there next year
I know a physicist at Manchester University.
non-centrally acting
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I know a physicist at Manchester University.
physics :puke:

i dont mind chemistry though :cool:
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No, at A-Level so I am not ignorant. Just disenchanted that people believe knowledge of economics is required to follow football. It's all about the money now. But I believe the money will destroy football as we know it, and we can learn and start again.
Rainy
Badges: 14
Report 14 years ago

Awww, bless his little cottons! :proud:
oblivious
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Benfica is a must win game if we had beaten Villareal i would have been more relaxed about it.

I'm glad that we're builidng up a winning streak after beating chelsea aswell, because last season after ending arsenal winning streak we lost the next game.

who do you think keane will sign for? :bawling:
Benfica is a must win, and if the squad were a couple of years more experienced I'd have no nerves about them winning. But now it's a lottery and the team need to demonstrate the quality and character that has always defined United.

I think Keane will go to Celtic as planned, wherever it is I wish him the best. As thankful as I am for all he did for us, I'm not upset he left. For one I thought that the sooner he left the sooner we could adjust to life without him. For another I believe he's damaged goods. And thirdly, there was a case for asking him to stay at the club as captain and maybe fourth- or fifth-choice centre-back, until the famous MUTV rant.

One more note on the Keane thing: the solution is not as easy as finding a replacement, the departure of someone so important demands a change of system rather than just personell. United need a new method of football, we can't rely on the box-to-box midfielders we don't have anymore.

--------------

Let's join Peter Crouch in enjoying his goal for weeks to come, before everyone remembers he simply isn't of the required calibre to play for Liverpool (and certainly not England!).
Ronaldinho_88
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I have heard that Keane is going to Real Madrid.....
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No, at A-Level so I am not ignorant. Just disenchanted that people believe knowledge of economics is required to follow football. It's all about the money now. But I believe the money will destroy football as we know it, and we can learn and start again.
I only ask people if they have any knowledge on economics when they make criticisms of the Premiership on those grounds. I'd do the same, and have done so I may add, with different scenarios such as those related to politics and law etc. Football, arguably, was destroyed as a sport as soon as it went professional all those decades ago when Jimmy Hill campaigned successfully over the limit on player wages. Not that we could limit this now anyway, since it's probably against EU law but nevermind. People tend to focus on the money situation on Chelsea in football but ignore the past in football (you as a Man Utd fan must know Blackburn in 94/95 season surely) and other sports. Then again just look at high transfer fees, and Chelsea aren't the only perpetrators of that are they? :rolleyes:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (108)
33.44%
No I don't (152)
47.06%
I work during the holidays (63)
19.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed