The Ultimate Football Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
an Siarach
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by technik)
a) the week before the draw rangers were a 4th seed team. ie, a team expected to finish 4th in the group if it all went to plan.
Seedings are often crazy as anyone knows. That aside, how this changes the fact the group was piss easy i dont know.
b) they only became a 3rd seed team due to the likes of monaco getting put out unexpectedly. or in other words they were expected to finish 3rd in the group.
See above.
c) they then managed to finish 2nd in their group and only lost 1 game out of 6.
They won 1 game out of 6 in a group which, Inter aside, was there for the taking. Porto went into this with nothing but reputation and while Bratislava have shown themselves to be a bit better than the nobodies everyone thought they were theyre still nothing major.
d) says a lot about rangers that they are the most successful club side in the world. thats not without good reason.
Success is relative. You think anyone cares that theyve managed 50+ championships in one of the least competative leagues in the world ? Rangers can boast when they win something of note. Im always amused to see the 5 stars rangers have on their shirts above their club crests - where the big teams of european history have a star for each time theyve been champions of europe Rangers have to resort to recording Scottish championships, how the Milans and Reals of the world most look at them with envy. Kingussie (Shinty Club) are the most successful sports club in the world but play in a totally one-sided league. As i said, success is totally relative and if Rangers had won 50+ championships playing in a league as competative as that of Italy, Spain, England or wherever THEN it would be something worth boasting about. As it is its just embaressing testament to the Scottish game. That said the fact that the 5th best team in Scotland can make it this far in Europe is testament to how competative the SPL is this season.

--------------

(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Rangers are the most successful club side in the world? :confused:
Technically yes . Amusing that they can at once be the most 'successful' club side in the world while being emphatically the most unsuccessful club in the history of the worlds most important trophy.
an Siarach
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by technik)
a) the week before the draw rangers were a 4th seed team. ie, a team expected to finish 4th in the group if it all went to plan.
Seedings are often crazy as anyone knows. That aside, how this changes the fact the group was piss easy i dont know.
b) they only became a 3rd seed team due to the likes of monaco getting put out unexpectedly. or in other words they were expected to finish 3rd in the group.
See above.
c) they then managed to finish 2nd in their group and only lost 1 game out of 6.
They won 1 game out of 6 in a group which, Inter aside, was there for the taking. Porto went into this with nothing but reputation and while Bratislava have shown themselves to be a bit better than the nobodies everyone thought they were theyre still nothing major.
d) says a lot about rangers that they are the most successful club side in the world. thats not without good reason.
Success is relative. You think anyone cares that theyve managed 50+ championships in one of the least competative leagues in the world ? Rangers can boast when they win something of note. Im always amused to see the 5 stars rangers have on their shirts above their club crests - where the big teams of european history have a star for each time theyve been champions of europe Rangers have to resort to recording Scottish championships, how the Milans and Reals of the world most look at them with envy. Kingussie (Shinty Club) are the most successful sports club in the world but play in a totally one-sided league. As i said, success is totally relative and if Rangers had won 50+ championships playing in a league as competative as that of Italy, Spain, England or wherever THEN it would be something worth boasting about. As it is its just embaressing testament to the Scottish game. That said the fact that the 5th best team in Scotland can make it this far in Europe is testament to how competative the SPL is this season.

--------------

(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Rangers are the most successful club side in the world? :confused:
Technically yes . Amusing that they can at once be the most 'successful' club side in the world while being emphatically the most unsuccessful club in the history of the worlds most important trophy.
Danny the Geezer
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
United will batter Everton at the weekend, hopefully.
Danny the Geezer
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
United will batter Everton at the weekend, hopefully.
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by an Siarach)
Heres hoping for another Battle of Britain. Bitterness towards Rangers aside its testament to the quality of the SPL this year (and hopefully the level of competition can continue beyond this season) that one of the worst Rangers teams in history, the 5th best in Scotland atm, can actually make it into the knockout stages (even if it was via a piss easy group and on a pathetic 7 points).
Why does it matter though? Surely you should just be happy that another British side are through? Unless you're a Celtic fan
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Heres hoping for another Battle of Britain. Bitterness towards Rangers aside its testament to the quality of the SPL this year (and hopefully the level of competition can continue beyond this season) that one of the worst Rangers teams in history, the 5th best in Scotland atm, can actually make it into the knockout stages (even if it was via a piss easy group and on a pathetic 7 points).
Why does it matter though? Surely you should just be happy that another British side are through? Unless you're a Celtic fan
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

See above.

--------------

seedings are often quite accurate due to the maths involved. and so what that they only won 1 game. they probably should have won 3 and you could argue they were unlucky to lose in milan too but so what? they played the 6 games and were the 2nd best team in the group. hence they qualify.

indeed im sure a lot of clubs look at rangers with envy. as you've managed to point on the SPL is crap for the most part and clearly isnt a major european league. yet heroics are expected of the teams involved. the best you'll get out of scottish teams is the occasion good run in a euro trophy, they might even win one every 20 odd years. on this occasion rangers have surpassed expectations and progressed when they werent expected to.

its also all well and good saying its over when rangers are 5th in the league at the start of december. those who watch football will know its far from decided. remember similar things happened last year and 2 minutes from the end of the season it all changed. those with short memories might be worried now, true supporters dont.

btw...
Congratulations to Rangers on achieving a technicality
what technicality is that?
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
That's the nature of this competition I'm afraid.
Rainy
Badges: 14
Report 14 years ago
YNWA... eurovision happy-hardcore styley! :eek:
non-centrally acting
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by SideView)
pressure is on united now!
thats an understatement im fearing the worst

we really should have beaten villareal at home ah well we'll be able to concentrate on the league
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
Benfica 2 - 1 United.
username9303
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
god sake, we started so well n'all.
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by olliemccowan)
god sake, we started so well n'all.
As a proud kopite and after years of ribbing for supporting a "*****" team, I sincerely hope Benfica throw you out of Europe and the creditors have their field day.
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
And I thought that Arsenal weren't doing too great. Man U are in a bit more of a bother. Darn Henry formissing the penalty. Sort of sums up thematch so far.
~ o ~
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Lille are losing aswell, so we only need a draw! Come on Utd!
~ o ~
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
:bawling: we are out
username9303
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
f**king useless
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by missy_B19)
:bawling: i think we are out of europe ...
Awww... :hugs:

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... this has made my ****ing month!
james101
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Its times like this that make me wonder why i bother supporting them. Sont get me wrong im a lifelong supporter but when you see them put in such a poor performance you wonder why you should bother.
Oziris
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by missy_B19)
:bawling: we are out
Such a shame...really :rolleyes:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (278)
48.01%
No (66)
11.4%
I'm not old enough (235)
40.59%

Watched Threads