The Ultimate Football Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Zapsta)
Well actually I don't think Beckham should be in the team at present, but I thought that him playing on the left was more likely than him being dropped. I think part of the problem is that he's been playing in the middle all season for Madrid, so he's effectively playing out of position. It means not only are we playing a central midfielder on the left, which is bad enough, but one on the right as well. By playing Dyer on the right we're playing a right winger there, and although Beckham on the left would still mean playing a central midfielder on the left, as he's used to working the overlap with Gary Neville from his time at both Man U and England, he could link up with Ashley Cole in a way that Lampard or Scholes can't, thus being more effective than other options so far tried there.
I see your point but I don't see it happening
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
I see your point but I don't see it happening
yea no way beckham will be dropped
kriztinae
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
yea no way beckham will be dropped
i dont like becham
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by kriztinae)
i dont like becham
why
kriztinae
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
why
coz he thinks hes the best
hes not that great
there are other players on the english team that are better than him!
i mean the goalie the other night james was one of the players that should have gotten man of the match he was good!
they make too much a big deal about becham when he isnt that grea!
so there
theaman
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
My England team for the Switzerland game would be:

James, G Neville, Terry, Campbell, Bridge, Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard, Dyer, Owen, Rooney

Scholes needs to be rested anyway - he isn't producing the England form he used to.

Dyer has been consistently good for England every time he has played.

Bridge is overall better than Ashley Cole anyway, and the others pick themselves.

In my opinion, if Owen plays how he did against France again, he should be replaced by Vassell.
marina183
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
There's no way you can argue Beckham's ability...just should have had the sense to have given the penalty to Rooney instead.

After all, Becks and Bartez played on the same team in Man Utd..surely Bartez would have had greater knowledge on Becks' penalty taking tactics that Everton's Rooney.
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by marina183)
There's no way you can argue Beckham's ability...just should have had the sense to have given the penalty to Rooney instead.

After all, Becks and Bartez played on the same team in Man Utd..surely Bartez would have had greater knowledge on Becks' penalty taking tactics that Everton's Rooney.
You could say that Rooney should have passed to Vassell, who was free, and would have scored, which could have prevented the penalty being taken in the first place.
kriztinae
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

i really dont like beckham
he is arrogant and believes hes the best
i dont like people like that
marina183
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by theaman)
You could say that Rooney should have passed to Vassell, who was free, and would have scored, which could have prevented the penalty being taken in the first place.
Fair enough.
Being a bit presumptious though don't you think?
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Fair enough.
Being a bit presumptious though don't you think?
Vassell was unmarked, and no defender was anywhere near him, and was as far out as Rooney was. I would say he would have had a good chance of scoring.
kriztinae
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by theaman)
hehe or that!!
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Or he could have just taken a better penalty... Beckham is not as good as the British media like to make out (although they do seem to be coming round). When he's playing well he does provide things that any team in the world would want, i.e. top class set pieces and defence splitting passes, but whereas your Gerrards and Zidane's still offer enough so as to be able to do a job when they're not on their game, Beckham doesn't. We really need to realise, although Sven more than others, that when Beckham is not on form he is not good enough to merit a place in the team.
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by serious narb)
yes but maybe Rooney thought the ref would actualy play by the rules and send Silvestre off for being the last man

that would give us a great advantage
LOL - I really don't think he would have thought of that whilst running at him like that.

And with France - it would have been harder to play against 10 men than 11, as it usually is with any good team.
marina183
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Zapsta)
Or he could have just taken a better penalty... Beckham is not as good as the British media like to make out (although they do seem to be coming round). When he's playing well he does provide things that any team in the world would want, i.e. top class set pieces and defence splitting passes, but whereas your Gerrards and Zidane's still offer enough so as to be able to do a job when they're not on their game, Beckham doesn't. We really need to realise, although Sven more than others, that when Beckham is not on form he is not good enough to merit a place in the team.
Good Point.
Although there is an element of intimidation to Becks with regards to the way other players view him as a world class/ world famous footie player, which definately works in his favour for ensuring him a place on the squad.
serious narb
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Good Point.
Although there is an element of intimidation to Becks with regards to the way other players view him as a world class/ world famous footie player, which definately works in his favour for ensuring him a place on the squad.
yeah and the fact that becks is seen as the captain and 'great leader' it is tough to drop him
mc_watson87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by kriztinae)
i really dont like beckham
he is arrogant and believes hes the best
i dont like people like that
The media has made him appear more arrogant than he is.

Now someone who is arrogant is Zidane. Told Beckham after the match not to worry about his penalty miss cus France would have won anyway. :eek: Wat a Cocky Di*k.
marina183
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by serious narb)
yeah and the fact that becks is seen as the captain and 'great leader' it is tough to drop him
It's like Figo.
He's def not up to scatch this year but is still on the squad.
Plus, he is far to heavily depended on in the Portuguese side.
marina183
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by mc_watson87)
The media has made him appear more arrogant than he is.

Now someone who is arrogant is Zidane. Told Beckham after the match not to worry about his penalty miss cus France would have won anyway. :eek: Wat a Cocky Di*k.
Bear in mind that those two are fellow team mates for Real Madrid.
Just a bit of friendly banter.
serious narb
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It's like Figo.
He's def not up to scatch this year but is still on the squad.
Plus, he is far to heavily depended on in the Portuguese side.
the main player that gets in the portugese side because of reputation is Rui Costa, he hasn't done anything worthy in years(when he was at Fiorentina) but he still gets picked ahead of Ronaldo and Deco
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (168)
19.24%
Labour (445)
50.97%
Liberal Democrats (117)
13.4%
Green Party (49)
5.61%
Brexit Party (13)
1.49%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.46%
SNP (15)
1.72%
Plaid Cymru (4)
0.46%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
0.69%
SDLP (1)
0.11%
Ulster Unionist (4)