The Ultimate Football Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
leedsblade
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by theaman)
Big squad - but a lot of it is full of deadwood who need to be offloaded, because they are just not good enough.

I mean - we need a 3rd quality central defender - Gardner is the "best" we have outside our first team - that isn't good.

Browny I rate highly, always have, completely out of position on the left. Mendes and Reid I also rate - don't want them sold.

Huddlestone and Ziegler need to be recalled from their loans - they are NEEDED.

El Hamadoui - when he's fit he should be kept at the club and not loaned out again.

As for Jenas - he might have scored, but still, generally, had a poor game . That's about three good games out of a dozen or so he's played for us now. Just not good enough - very lazy, hardly puts a foot in. Also, scary when Carrick didn't know what to do with the ball half the time he got it - needs to make a mark on EVERY game like the likes of Gerrard or Lampard.

Five players stood out for me tonight who are absolute quality - Robinson, Dawson, Stalteri, Lennon and Keane - felt comfortable when any of those (well particularly the outfield players) had the ball - they knew what they were doing and really help Spurs as a team, and the latter both were, and always are, constant threats, and show just why we are so high up in the League.

Just need the other outfield players to shine and we should be fine - and Mido for me is our key man at the moment. We definitely need a striker and quickly!

This game shows we still need (at least) 4 or 5 quality players in our squad if we are going to challenge the 'big' teams around us.
Interesting, however can't see Browny making the starting 11 in the prem week in, week out with the selection of midfielders you have. But good luck to him...he is till my favourite ex Blade. :cool:

Gem
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
How many Premiership sides lost to lower league teams in the FA Cup third round? It wasn't three was it?
jamlan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think just two, Tottenham and Fulham
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah that's all I can find too.
leedsblade
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
How many Premiership sides lost to lower league teams in the FA Cup third round? It wasn't three was it?
2....Fulham and Spurs. 6 teams held premiership teams to a draw for a replay though-Leeds, Reading, Millwall, Torquay and of course Burton and Nuneaton.

Sheffield United were the only championship side to lose to lower league opposition in Colchester :rolleyes: although Stoke only managed a 0-0 draw at home to Tamorth.

There, a summary.

Gem
jamlan
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Yeah that's all I can find too.
Why'd you ask?
EPD
Badges: 11
Report 13 years ago
Bolton vs Arsenal in the 4th Round - could be the end of Arsenal's cup run

Full draw;

Stoke City/Tamworth v Barnsley/Walsall
Cheltenham/Chester v Newcastle Utd
Coventry v Nuneaton Borough/Middlesbrough
West Brom/Reading v Torquay/Birmingham
Portsmouth v Liverpool
Leicester v Southampton
Bolton v Arsenal
Aston Villa v Port Vale
Brentford v Sunderland
Manchester City v Wigan/Leeds
Millwall/Everton v Chelsea
Preston NE v Crystal Palace
West Ham v Blackburn
Colchester United v Derby
Charlton v Leyton Orient
Wolves v Burton Albion/Manchester United
leedsblade
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Wish Colchester could have got a better draw although Derby at home is winnable.

Gem
Book-worm
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Don't fancy our trip to portsmouth!

Millwall v Chelsea...i'm sure the millwall fans will be pretty determined there team getr through that!
El Stevo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
pompey game could be fun...
chocolatecheese
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Raindance)
Tbh, I'm quite frankly apalled by Burton. 90 minutes at home vs Manchester United and all they managed was a non-score draw.
tbh, im quite frankly pleased with Burton's performance
90 minutes, and they managed to keep a clean sheet against one of the best premiership clubs in the country...and Man-Utd were playing good players :rolleyes: ....and......a draw is great!!!!!! better than a win i think...
draw = lots of money for very poor club (more than they will probably see again)
still have a chance to win next game (although i will admit the chances are low....) but another reason i say i draw is better than a win, is that if they had won, they could have been drawn against a lower league team, which wouldnt have brought as much money....and i dont really think they will win the cup...so the more money they can get out of it the better!

(but....it would be nice if they won the cup....come on Burton!)
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by jamlan)
Why'd you ask?
Something I have read in the Financial Times.

--------------

(Original post by Financial Times)
For all the talk of increasing predictability, Premiership sides have lost 26 of 150 games against lower league opposition in the Cup in the past 10 years. If that ration is repeated, three will be embarrassed this weekend.
Source: http://news.ft.com/cms/s/fe7f48a8-7e...0779e2340.html
SideView
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Kinda died down on this thread recently... is it because its January and everyones recovering from last year.......or busy sorting out uni?

Or that loads of topics are being started in the football forum that could instead be in here?

hmmm
jamlan
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by SideView)
Kinda died down on this thread recently... is it because its January and everyones recovering from last year.......or busy sorting out uni?

Or that loads of topics are being started in the football forum that could instead be in here?

hmmm
:tumble:

:rolleyes:
oblivious
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by jamlan)
:tumble:

:rolleyes:
u spam whore just because you saw you were 14th on the list of posters
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Arsenal
M Almunia, K Gilbert, P Senderos, J Djourou, P Cygan, F Ljungberg, M Flamini, G Silva, A Hleb, Q Owusu-Abeyie, J Reyes
Subs: M Poom, N Bendtner, A Lupoli, F Fabregas, S Larsson
Why does Wenger insist on playing a youth side.. i mean sure its good experiance but this could be their only silverware this season, so why not just make sure you win it.. no CL matches soon - wont win the prem etc.. so why not pull out the big guns and get into the finals?
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Arsne says that the youngsters got us there. It's unfair not to let them play.
The lights are off. How cool would it be to play football in almost darkness
leedsblade
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
Arsne says that the youngsters got us there. It's unfair not to let them play.
The lights are off. How cool would it be to play football in almost darkness
Most exciting thing that has happened so far.

Gem
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well similarly, if Arsenal were to win something - someone in the squad, regardless of playing or not would be able to say they won it..
meh id rather win silverware than have morals..
non-centrally acting
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
the first half was uneventful, poor wigan had to make two changes :eek:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (52)
17.93%
Labour (142)
48.97%
Liberal Democrats (42)
14.48%
Green Party (20)
6.9%
Brexit Party (4)
1.38%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
1.03%
SNP (5)
1.72%
Plaid Cymru (2)
0.69%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (4)
1.38%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)