The Ultimate Football Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Rainy
Badges: 14
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Economist)
Maurinho manager of the year? You must be having a laugh? With the resources available he has underperformed. The premiership is all he has got to show which wasnt exactly unexpected.
It's a bit of a silly one. Puyol shouldn't be on there, neither should Garcia, neither should Nedved really - but I can't think of many LWs who set the world alight. Mourinho, inheriting a team already runners up, unlimited budget, a wee bit of scandal, didn't reach the final. I can think of a few who'd better him. But we all know that celebrity status is what counts, and that does go for a few other choices on that list.
Kuz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Raindance)
You know what I didn't quite understand? Why Eriksson was watching the Arsenal game. Hardly a showcase for players for 2006? Boro had a team full of minors, Arsenal didn't start one english player? Maybe it was for leisure, not business.
I think he was primarily there for the return of Ashley Cole... the lack of english players to watch was probably guaged by him leaving way before full-time even though it was a blinder of a game.
EPD
Badges: 11
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by fernando)
sad to hear that Mark Philo of wycombe wonderers has died after a car accident last night
Yeah, I saw that. Very sad to hear
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Maurinho manager of the year? You must be having a laugh? With the resources available he has underperformed. The premiership is all he has got to show which wasnt exactly unexpected.
In which case managers of big teams will probably never be picked by your reckoning. The likes of Paul Jewell will however.
Economist
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
In which case managers of big teams will probably never be picked by your reckoning. The likes of Paul Jewell will however.
How so? Not all big teams have virtually unlimited resources.
Adzz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think its fair to say that one of the reasons Chelsea are so dam good it down to their manager, yes he has they cash but buying the right player isnt easy regardless of the cost and also a fair number of his biggest players he hasnt brought during his time there, Terry, Lampard, Cole and co. Also sometimes it can be a negative thing to have so many big players in one team, he has transformed 11 superstars into 1 superstar team and that takes some doing, i rate the man as a great manager.
Paul Jewell also has the great qualities, he has managed to turn 11 average players into 1 good team again not easy to do, no doubt old Rafa will come into consideration too but with a long way to go there is alot to be proved but by now means should Jose be ruled out just cos he 'has the cash'
Rainy
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by oneway)
I think its fair to say that one of the reasons Chelsea are so dam good it down to their manager, yes he has they cash but buying the right player isnt easy regardless of the cost and also a fair number of his biggest players he hasnt brought during his time there, Terry, Lampard, Cole and co. Also sometimes it can be a negative thing to have so many big players in one team, he has transformed 11 superstars into 1 superstar team and that takes some doing, i rate the man as a great manager.
Paul Jewell also has the great qualities, he has managed to turn 11 average players into 1 good team again not easy to do, no doubt old Rafa will come into consideration too but with a long way to go there is alot to be proved but by now means should Jose be ruled out just cos he 'has the cash'
Ok, let's disregard money.

2003/4, under Ranieri: 2nd, EC semis
2004/5, under Mourinho: 1st, LC, EC semis

Standstill in Europe, a mickey mouse, and an improvement of one place. Considering this is supposed to be a European poll, (hence no Jewell to be seen, anywhere) I do find it slightly odd. I mean, well done to the bloke, but he hasn't done all that.
Rainy
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by pig)
Another example, half of the Man U team are vastly overrated because they play in a well functioning team but most people won't realise this until the players play for a lesser team.
To be fair, half of that Manchester United team has summat about them. The other half would have a job getting into Sunderland.
Rainy
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by pig)
I did write something about Scholes looking rubbish playing for Sunderland but deleted it I have a thing about Scholes, he's the most overrated player ever after Beckham.
Well he is now, barely worth the shirt he plays in. But he was a decent player once upon a time, like Giggsy, Keane and the rest. But then, all you've got to turn to is Darren Fletcher and Alan Smith... :hmmmm2:
Rainy
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by pig)
Nah he's always been crap, and he's very dirty too but seems to get away with it. Every time he hacks someone's legs off at the ankles Andy Gray chuckles and calls it a forward's tackle. No, it's another dirty Scholes foul. I like Fletcher and Smith though, they amuse me with their crapness
Well he can't tackle for ****, that'd be why, and Gray's an idiot. Now he barely completes a pass or gets a shot on target. Not exactly individually brilliant, but he had his job and he did it. Overrated though, as you say, though having an in-depth hatred of all things scum means I'm fairly biased. :rolleyes:
And yeh, gotta love 'em. Then when they arse it up we get to watch Rio and co make tits out of themselves. Happy days.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
How so? Not all big teams have virtually unlimited resources.
Yes but the likes of AC Milan, Juventus, Real Madrid etc have finances that Paul Jewell would love to have. Chelsea isn't the only team with big finances.
jamlan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Yes but the likes of AC Milan, Juventus, Real Madrid etc have finances that Paul Jewell would love to have. Chelsea isn't the only team with big finances.
I think his point is that "big" is a severe understatement.
Mourinho is a good manager, he's done the whole them against us routine very well to bind the team together, and tactically he clearly knows what he's doing (at least with that one formation, anyway), but the best in Europe...? :rolleyes:
Né Stig
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by pig)
Nah he's always been crap, and he's very dirty too but seems to get away with it. Every time he hacks someone's legs off at the ankles Andy Gray chuckles and calls it a forward's tackle. No, it's another dirty Scholes foul. I like Fletcher and Smith though, they amuse me with their crapness
How much does this remind you of Alan Shearer?
He has got to be the worst. That is one dirty player that gets away with everything. Paul Scholes gets penalised every time whereas Shearer gets away with it.
EPD
Report 13 years ago
Shearer's a dirty little *****er who pretends he's not. There was a thing in the paper a while back about the players with the highest foul:booking ratio, and he was right up there (2nd or 3rd I think). But he gets away with it because he's Shearer.
EPD
Report 13 years ago
Is O'Leary a bit simple?

"It is not acceptable that the national coach speaks publicly about replacing another manager while he is in the post,"

Speaks publicly? Hmm...
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
What odds for Burton Albion knocking out ManYoo at OT? Might fancy it.
Né Stig
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by pig)
Shearer once kicked Neil Lennon in the face, but got away with it because he threatened to quit playing for England if he got done. What a hero.
I actually remember that incident!
I hate that guy, officially. Bobby Robson is 10 times the man Shearer will ever be, and Shearer blatantly had an effect on Robsons dismissal.

Burton Albion - not one flipping chance. I predict a half depleted Man U side that will still get 4 past them easy.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Then it might be worth betting a few quid, there's always a chance unless it is theoretically impossible.
Né Stig
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Get Cindy to bet our vPennie then, because there's no chance I'm betting with real wonga!
Jimmocrates
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Shearer's a legend! In fact all of the rovers 94-95 team are - even Ian Pearce :-S
I never saw him commit one dirty foul whilst at ewood. it was probably leaving us for that tin pot club somewhere near scotland which changed him :-P
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (254)
48.75%
No (57)
10.94%
I'm not old enough (210)
40.31%

Watched Threads