The Ultimate Football Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Economist
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by kpg)
Maybe Arsenal wouldnt be in this mess if some of those regulars had played like they can this season. If Arsenal actually knew how to defend I could see them in with a chance in Europe but I reckon it'll be trophyless for Arsene and co this year. IMO A team like Bayern, Milan or Juve would know how to just pick them apart I think and there's only so much one man (Henry) can do.
Why does everyone go on about our defence? Our midfield is where the problem lies and in particular our midfielders going forward.
Rainy
Badges: 14
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Economist)
Why does everyone go on about our defence? Our midfield is where the problem lies and in particular our midfielders going forward.
Someone will give me the exact quote, but Bill Shankly said something along the lines of 'attacks win matches, defenses win titles'. You can have as much forward power as anything, but if you're susceptible at the back there's always a chance you can get roughed up, or the strikers have an off day. European competition depends on tight defenses nowadays - look at Serie A (and Greece, more specifically). The League's becoming the same way, with the 'unit' form succeeding. Essentially you're right though, the back 4 need protection and they're not getting it. But Arsenal's defense is just, really, a mess.
Katy200
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i hate the way managers decide to play a weaker team for an FA cup tie. I think its wrong. Its there own fault if they lose.
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Raindance)
Someone will give me the exact quote, but Bill Shankly said something along the lines of 'attacks win matches, defenses win titles'. You can have as much forward power as anything, but if you're susceptible at the back there's always a chance you can get roughed up, or the strikers have an off day. European competition depends on tight defenses nowadays - look at Serie A (and Greece, more specifically). The League's becoming the same way, with the 'unit' form succeeding. Essentially you're right though, the back 4 need protection and they're not getting it. But Arsenal's defense is just, really, a mess.
Its interesting how;
Arsenal's defence is lacking..
Man utd's Midfield is lacking..
and Liverpool's strikers are lacking..
perhaps a super mearge for a season or 2 to beat Chelski :rolleyes:
Xenon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
But when we are forward, we leave holes in our defence where the opposition can run through. Our defence needs more structure and form.
Economist
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Raindance)
Weve conceded 4 at home and 12 away, not bad by a long stretch. If we continue at the same rate we will have only conceded one more than when we won the championship in 2003/2004 and 9 less than we did in 2001/2002 but scored around 8 less and you have to consider the 7-0 drumming of Boro which bumped up the total. Im not saying its water tight but its not bad considering Cole, Clichy and Lauren have been injured and Sol is playing complete ****. The problem is with the midfield. Gilberto has been missing for the whole season and that has meant more pressure on the defence. Fabregas has done well but being restricted in attack because of Gilberto but the problem is with the wingers. Pires and Freddie usually contribute 15+ goals a season but they have hardly scored any. They havent been able to get forward and expose teams partly because of the weakness of Gilberto and partly because they are getting on a bit.
oblivious
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Economist
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Thats about the only thing I can laugh about from yesterday
Shakuri
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by oblivious)

Weaaaay!!!!
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
lmfao wtf :confused:
kpg
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
A team's defence isn't based solely on their back 5. For what it's worth it's not that great anyway. Campbell has been [understandably] below par since his injury problems, Lauren is average anyway imo, Toure is still improving, Senderos + Clichy are still kids and Cygan is just plain *****. But Arsenal don't have the defensive stability or tactical flexibility to win the European Cup. You dont need to have a great team to win cup competitions but do need to be able to adapts to different games and also have some kind of defensive mentality throughout the team whenever it's needed. I could never imagine this Arsenal team going to Turin, completely chaning their set-up and restricting Juve to about one shot on goal despite not having 2 of their 3 best central midfielders and the other one having played a reserve game in 3 months. Nor can I see them going back to the Arsenal of 2001-2004 and trying to play a top team off the park. Arsenal are in transition and at the moment don't really have a spine to the team. At times yesterday I thought Wenger just told the 11 players to just play, as if they'd do it themselves. It happened 2 years ago but they're seriously struggling to do it now.

One thing that bugs me is the signing of Hleb last summer. I just dont get it. He is a technical player with lots of flair and good on the ball. That's the whole team. But Wenger didn't address the problems in midfield or the lack of experienced bodies in defence. An unfair work load has been put on Senderos and Fabregas.
fernando
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
:laugh:
Economist
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by kpg)
A team's defence isn't based solely on their back 5. For what it's worth it's not that great anyway. Campbell has been [understandably] below par since his injury problems, Lauren is average anyway imo, Toure is still improving, Senderos + Clichy are still kids and Cygan is just plain *****. But Arsenal don't have the defensive stability or tactical flexibility to win the European Cup. You dont need to have a great team to win cup competitions but do need to be able to adapts to different games and also have some kind of defensive mentality throughout the team whenever it's needed. I could never imagine this Arsenal team going to Turin, completely chaning their set-up and restricting Juve to about one shot on goal despite not having 2 of their 3 best central midfielders and the other one having played a reserve game in 3 months. Nor can I see them going back to the Arsenal of 2001-2004 and trying to play a top team off the park. Arsenal are in transition and at the moment don't really have a spine to the team. At times yesterday I thought Wenger just told the 11 players to just play, as if they'd do it themselves. It happened 2 years ago but they're seriously struggling to do it now.

One thing that bugs me is the signing of Hleb last summer. I just dont get it. He is a technical player with lots of flair and good on the ball. That's the whole team. But Wenger didn't address the problems in midfield or the lack of experienced bodies in defence. An unfair work load has been put on Senderos and Fabregas.
The stats show that we havenet conceded more at the same point in seasons gone by. We just dont pose much of a threat going forward. We seem to rely on Henry or Van Persie to produce some magic rather than creating team goals with Pires and Freddie involved.

I do agree with you about Senderos and Fabregas though. It's as if they are the veterans and Campbell and Gilberto are the kids.
Lil' Miss Smiley
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Ben get your username changed back!!!!! Hands up folks, Raindance or Rainy???
Rainy
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Cindy)
Ben get your username changed back!!!!! Hands up folks, Raindance or Rainy???
Well you have *the power*? But no. Make me.
Tehehe... ChelseaBabe...
oblivious
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I still can't believe D'Alessandro signed for Portsmouth.
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Rainy; what the hell are you thinking son?
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
BTW -

Wigan 0 - 1 Everton
Rainy
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by dan)
Rainy; what the hell are you thinking son?
o0o, semi-colon... ladida...
Why do I feel like I'm getting told off by me mum and dad?

Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Rainy)
o0o, semi-colon... ladida...
Why do I feel like I'm getting told off by me mum and dad?

Change it back lad!

================================ ======================

Wigan 1 - 1 Everton
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (49)
18.35%
Labour (132)
49.44%
Liberal Democrats (37)
13.86%
Green Party (18)
6.74%
Brexit Party (4)
1.5%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
1.12%
SNP (5)
1.87%
Plaid Cymru (1)
0.37%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (4)
1.5%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)