The Ultimate Football Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Rainy
Badges: 14
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Cindy)
The red! What punch??
Reina twatted him. Should've knocked him out at least.
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I thought they said;
Reina tackled Robben from behind --> a yellow/red
then he punched Robben and linesman saw, and so got a red?
Lil' Miss Smiley
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Rainy)
Reina twatted him. Should've knocked him out at least.
LOL I thought you meant a Chelsea player had punched someone. Robben did fall over very easily. I feel the ref gave the red for the tackle though.
Lil' Miss Smiley
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Its over now!!
Rainy
Badges: 14
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Cindy)
LOL I thought you meant a Chelsea player had punched someone. Robben did fall over very easily. I feel the ref gave the red for the tackle though.
Possibly, but I'm sure the linesman saw it. The approach to this game was fine, we were better in the first half. It's a game of two halves, and the fire went out of them after Gallas. We've just lost a bit of form recently, and with the fixtures we have to go things will be tough.

All over, enjoy the 3 points...

Jesus Christ, your fans were actually worse than Portsmouth's. Not only did they repeat the same thing over and over, but for a side 2-0 up it was like a listening to a funeral procession. :rolleyes:
Lil' Miss Smiley
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well you are still two games ahead so it could change.
jamlan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Grrr... slightly pissed off at both teams:mad:
What was Reina sent off for? I've read it was for fouling Gudjohnsen, but i've also read it was for killing Robben
fernando
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by jamlan)
Grrr... slightly pissed off at both teams:mad:
What was Reina sent off for? I've read it was for fouling Gudjohnsen, but i've also read it was for killing Robben
i think the red was for the robben "push" as he did fall over a bit easily but there should have been a yellow issued beforehead for the tackle on gudjohnsen (according to reports).
I feel Reina should have gone off anyway - went straight through Eidur to get to ball and if he didnt do it - a cross could have made it 3-0. I reckon a yellow for that but because he used a bit of force on Robben (i do mean a bit) and his hand was raised around the face to do so - that should have been a yellow too, not a straight red.
fernando
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
good to hear Birmingham Managing Director Karren Brady is doing ok after her important surgery on Friday and is out of Intensive Care
jamlan
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by fernando)
i think the red was for the robben "push" as he did fall over a bit easily but there should have been a yellow issued beforehead for the tackle on gudjohnsen (according to reports).
I feel Reina should have gone off anyway - went straight through Eidur to get to ball and if he didnt do it - a cross could have made it 3-0. I reckon a yellow for that but because he used a bit of force on Robben (i do mean a bit) and his hand was raised around the face to do so - that should have been a yellow too, not a straight red.
I had an argument with my brother. He reckons that the referee could (since Reina pushed Robben before a card could be issued) have given him a yellow for the foul on Gudjohnsen, immediately followed by a yellow for raising his hand to Robben, followed by a red for two yellows. I think the whole point of giving a yellow, a "caution" after all, is as a warning to a player. There would be no warning in that case though.
I think it was for pushing Robben in the face too
fernando
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I had an argument with my brother. He reckons that the referee could (since Reina pushed Robben before a card could be issued) have given him a yellow for the foul on Gudjohnsen, immediately followed by a yellow for raising his hand to Robben, followed by a red for two yellows. I think the whole point of giving a yellow, a "caution" after all, is as a warning to a player. There would be no warning in that case though.
totally agree
jamlan
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think according to the letter of the law, Reina had to be sent off for pushing Robben in the face.
I was listening to the radio on the way home, and there wa a guy calling for Reina to get a 6 match ban (like Duncan Ferguson did for his punch) for that shove, for "consistency". Hmmm:rolleyes:
jamlan
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
totally agree
My argument was that the point of a yellow is as a warning. Thinking about it now, maybe if he thought the tackle and shove were worthy of a yellow each he'd just give a red for a combination of offences.
fernando
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
My argument was that the point of a yellow is as a warning. Thinking about it now, maybe if he thought the tackle and shove were worthy of a yellow each he'd just give a red for a combination of offences.
didnt think it helped having nearly every player on the pitch surrounding him before the decision
Shakuri
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
But it wasnt a fould on Gudjohnsen, he cleary got the ball
DontBuyTheSun
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by peterunitt)
But it wasnt a fould on Gudjohnsen, he cleary got the ball
He got the ball but was reckless chop. The ref has stated he was going to give a yellow for it. But because robben went down like a sack of ***** (he should be ashamed) he got a red. TBH no matter how hard he hit him, a hand to face is an automatic red no matter but reina was gettin hassled by around 4-5 chelsea players after the incident and they recieved nothing. We played the better football for 60 mins of the game until the second finished us off. Reina should of just chinned robben if he was going to get sent off for a little clip like that.
DontBuyTheSun
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think according to the letter of the law, Reina had to be sent off for pushing Robben in the face.
I was listening to the radio on the way home, and there wa a guy calling for Reina to get a 6 match ban (like Duncan Ferguson did for his punch) for that shove, for "consistency". Hmmm:rolleyes:
Bitter blue***** eh. How is a punch to the gut the same as a light clip.
oblivious
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by calderstonesLFC)
Bitter blue***** eh. How is a punch to the gut the same as a light clip.
the fact they're both worth 3 match bans cos someone put them both under "violent conduct" in a rule book somewhere
mc_watson87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I feel Reina should have gone off anyway - went straight through Eidur to get to ball and if he didnt do it - a cross could have made it 3-0.
That was a wonderous tackle! Eidur handballed it aswell jus be4 that! The ref was a complete ****** for stoppin play after it, the linesman who was right there had no beef with it. The ref was miles away! Sometimes they just get too damn big headed. It was an awful referering decision. Great tackle Reina!

The point of a yellow is as punishment and a step closer to a red card for a minor break in the rules; not just a warning but as an indication of the severity of the foul. A straight red is for a more serious breaking of the rules and hence merits a longer punishment than 2 yellows. Now the ref clearly thought that each incident meritted a yellow, so gave a red. Imo he should have then given 2 yellows to give indication of his actions and so Reina would get a smaller ban. He doesn't deserve a straight red ban. First foul was a great tackle not a foul. Second was handbags, just like touched him. Should have been a yellow at worst!
oblivious
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by mc_watson87)
The point of a yellow is as punishment and a step closer to a red card for a minor break in the rules; not just a warning but as an indication of the severity of the foul. A straight red is for a more serious breaking of the rules and hence merits a longer punishment than 2 yellows. Now the ref clearly thought that each incident meritted a yellow, so gave a red. Imo he should have then given 2 yellows to give indication of his actions and so Reina would get a smaller ban. He doesn't deserve a straight red ban. First foul was a great tackle not a foul. Second was handbags, just like touched him. Should have been a yellow at worst!
1st tackle was yellow as it was from behind and got alot of the man rather than the ball. 2nd incident however harmless it was had to be a red as the ref needed to uphold the law of the game under violent conduct.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (204)
49.51%
No (48)
11.65%
I'm not old enough (160)
38.83%

Watched Threads