The Student Room Group
Without Lehmann:

Liverpool 5 - 0 Arsenal

Even if what the little dude above is saying was put in, we deserved to win. We were all over them.
Rainy
Whatever. Ask a neutral, you'll see.

Im not debating who was the better team just that had the correct decisions been made we would have won.
jusfarhan
Without Lehmann:

Liverpool 5 - 0 Arsenal

Even if what the little dude above is saying was put in, we deserved to win. We were all over them.

Why did you deserve to win? Lehmann saves were down to skill. The officials decisions we or you could do nothing about. Hence you were lucky and didnt deserve to win.
Reply 32783
In the name of god Wenger just go!

The performances this season have been disgraceful to say the least. There is no passion in our play; it appears as though the players are just going through the motions and putting in a token effort. This is especially true for the more experienced amongst them such as Ljungberg, Pires, Henry and Gilberto. The midfield appears light-weight without Patrick Vieira, who was sold to Juventus with no replacement brought in, and no longer strikes fear into opponents. Why did Wenger fail to bring in a replacement? Why did he give up after Real Madrid won the race to sign Julio Baptista? The defence is a complete shambles due to a combination of inexperience, bad luck (injuries) and poor tactics by Wenger e.g. continuing to play Sanderos and Cygan even though they are clearly not up to Championship standard let alone the Premiership. Why hasn't Wenger brought in an experienced defender given that David Dein made £30 million available for him to spend last summer? Wenger's over-reliance on talented but inexperienced youth players has contributed significantly to our current predicament along with the disgraceful lack of effort put in the more experienced players.

Arsene Wenger appears to have lost the plot e.g. he continues to use the rather negative 4-5-1 formation away from home even though we have only scored 1 goal using that system. Arsene appears to suffer from a worrying lack of flexibility when it comes to tactics and team selection. I will agree with most Arsenal fans that Arsene has been one of the best managers in the history of our club; however, I believe he has taken us as far as he can and a change is needed sooner rather than later. It looks very likely that we will fail to qualify for Europe and when I write Europe I mean the U.E.F.A. Cup not the Champions league. One only needs to look at our next three fixtures to see how bleak the situation is; Real Madrid away (certain loss, given Real's form), Blackburn Rovers away (loss, Blackburn have recovered well from a poor start and I can see that recovery continuing here), Fulham away (draw at best; given that we lost to W.B.A., we're capable of losing to anyone). If we fail to qualify for Europe, I can see a massive exodus of players led by Thierry Henry. If that were to occur then next season could be about our Premiership survival; perhaps a repeat of season 1994-1995 where we finished 12th just six points above relegated Crystal Palace in 19th.

All that remains to be said is credit to Liverpool, who were clearly the better side and deserved to win by many more goals than the one goal margin. I must also congratulate Jens Lehmann for an excellent performance in goal and for saving us the embarrassment of 4/5/6 goal defeat.
Economist
Complete ****. What is the point in having officials? They just make the wrong decisions anyway, ****ing disgraceful. Multi-million sport, players paid over 100k a week and you have idiots in charge. 3 disgraceful decisions and liverpool can count themselves as very very lucky.
Incident 1: Adebayor played through on goal 1 on 1, clearly onside, gets past Dudek about to put it in the goal and somehow its offside
Incident 2: Morientes dives and the useless Poll gives a penalty. Justice was done.
Incident 3: Ljunberg goes through on goal 1 on 1 and somehow is offside when he was clearly onside.

Not to mention numerous other decisions that went against us. Diabolical imo

*******, wrong decisions go hand in hand with the footballing game. Ljunbergs one on one was saved and collected by dudek anyway, he was unaware of the whistle so dont give me any of ' he heard the whistle'.
Morientes didnt dived.. he was clearly 'fouled'. it may not of bin a pen but he didnt dive. We outclassed you from start to finish, was it 13 corners to nil?
You have to wake up and blame your actual team instead of the decisions. You sound like jose complaning about stuff like that. Your midfield was poor, hyypia and carragher had henry in their back pocket for the whole game. Sissoko had another imense game, he kept running and covered the whole area of the pitch constantly. Never stopped running.
Nando couldnt hit water if he fell out of a boat, never mind the back of the net.
Reply 32785
Economist
Why did you deserve to win? Lehmann saves were down to skill. The officials decisions we or you could do nothing about. Hence you were lucky and didnt deserve to win.

Lucky? You were outmaneouvred, outpassed, outthought, outfought & outplayed. Worst Arsenal performance at Anfield in a decade.
Reply 32786
jusfarhan
Without Lehmann:

Liverpool 5 - 0 Arsenal

As an Arsenal fan it saddens me to say that I agree with this statement. It could quite easily have been 5-0. I cannot believe how far we have fallen in such a short space of time; it is worrying reminiscent of the demise of Leeds United after they played in the Champions league semi-final in season 2000-2001.
Mart21

The performances this season have been disgraceful to say the least. There is no passion in our play; it appears as though the players are just going through the motions and putting in a token effort. This is especially true for the more experienced amongst them such as Ljungberg, Pires, Henry and Gilberto. The midfield appears light-weight without Patrick Vieira, who was sold to Juventus with no replacement brought in, and no longer strikes fear into opponents. Why did Wenger fail to bring in a replacement? Why did he give up after Real Madrid won the race to sign Julio Baptista? The defence is a complete shambles due to a combination of inexperience, bad luck (injuries) and poor tactics by Wenger e.g. continuing to play Sanderos and Cygan even though they are clearly not up to Championship standard let alone the Premiership. Why hasn't Wenger brought in an experienced defender given that David Dein made £30 million available for him to spend last summer? Wenger's over-reliance on talented but inexperienced youth players has contributed significantly to our current predicament along with the disgraceful lack of effort put in the more experienced players.

Arsene Wenger appears to have lost the plot e.g. he continues to use the rather negative 4-5-1 formation away from home even though we have only scored 1 goal using that system. Arsene appears to suffer from a worrying lack of flexibility when it comes to tactics and team selection. I will agree with most Arsenal fans that Arsene has been one of the best managers in the history of our club; however, I believe he has taken us as far as he can and a change is needed sooner rather than later. It looks very likely that we will fail to qualify for Europe and when I write Europe I mean the U.E.F.A. Cup not the Champions league. One only needs to look at our next three fixtures to see how bleak the situation is; Real Madrid away (certain loss, given Real's form), Blackburn Rovers away (loss, Blackburn have recovered well from a poor start and I can see that recovery continuing here), Fulham away (draw at best; given that we lost to W.B.A., we're capable of losing to anyone). If we fail to qualify for Europe, I can see a massive exodus of players led by Thierry Henry. If that were to occur then next season could be about our Premiership survival; perhaps a repeat of season 1994-1995 where we finished 12th just six points above relegated Crystal Palace in 19th.

All that remains to be said is credit to Liverpool, who were clearly the better side and deserved to win by many more goals than the one goal margin. I must also congratulate Jens Lehmann for an excellent performance in goal and for saving us the embarrassment of 4/5/6 goal defeat.

I understand your point, but come on. Even neutral fans knew this was allways going to be a transition season. You seem to be knee jerking slightly to much here. Wenger out? hes the most successful and best foreign manager in the premership at the momment (forget jose, hes all hot air). The fella is a genius and his transfers are simply amazing. You need to strengthen your midfield and make sure you keep hold of henry, hes instrumental to your whole game. Your side just seems to be lacking the self belief, and togetherness that you showed in the 2000(?) unbeaten run. You came to anfield today and played like you were expecting to lose, it was a very negative way to approach the game.
Rainy
Lucky? You were outmaneouvred, outpassed, outthought, outfought & outplayed. Worst Arsenal performance at Anfield in a decade.

Its the worst arsenal team ive seen in decade, never mind performance at anfield. It has come at such a horrible momment for them, with the new stadium costs needing to be paid for. I really for sorry for them, i liked them so much with their attacking, flowing football they were a breath of fresh air to the premership. To see a great side diminish like this is horrible for a fan.
Rainy

On all the balance of play you deserved to win. When you include other factors such as the refereeing then you didnt deserve to win. How can you say you werent lucky when the ref ruled out an onside goal for us, another 1 on 1 and gave you a penalty.
calderstonesLFC
*******, wrong decisions go hand in hand with the footballing game. Ljunbergs one on one was saved and collected by dudek anyway, he was unaware of the whistle so dont give me any of ' he heard the whistle'.
Morientes didnt dived.. he was clearly 'fouled'. it may not of bin a pen but he didnt dive. We outclassed you from start to finish, was it 13 corners to nil?
You have to wake up and blame your actual team instead of the decisions. You sound like jose complaning about stuff like that. Your midfield was poor, hyypia and carragher had henry in their back pocket for the whole game. Sissoko had another imense game, he kept running and covered the whole area of the pitch constantly. Never stopped running.
Nando couldnt hit water if he fell out of a boat, never mind the back of the net.

Yes we were bloody awful but that doesnt make it right for wrong decisions to be made
Reply 32791
calderstonesLFC
I understand your point, but come on. Even neutral fans knew this was allways going to be a transition season. You seem to be knee jerking slightly to much here. Wenger out? hes the most successful and best foreign manager in the premership at the momment (forget jose, hes all hot air). The fella is a genius and his transfers are simply amazing. You need to strengthen your midfield and make sure you keep hold of henry, hes instrumental to your whole game. Your side just seems to be lacking the self belief, and togetherness that you showed in the 2000(?) unbeaten run. You came to anfield today and played like you were expecting to lose, it was a very negative way to approach the game.

I wouldn't argue that some of his transfers have been amazing e.g. Thierry Henry, Marc Overmars, Robert Pires, Emmanuel Petit, Patrick Vieira etc., however, he has also brought in some absolute 'stinkers' i.e. Gilles Grimandi, Igor Stepanovs, Luhzny, Pascal Cygan, Phillipe Sanderos, Stefan Malz, Manuel Almunia to mention but a few.

Thierry Henry is instrumental to our team, however, one only needs to look at his performances this season, especially against Bolton Wanderers and Liverpool, to see that his heart is no longer in playing for Arsenal. In other words the chances are that he will go at the end of the season regardless of what offer David Dein and Arsene Wenger come up.

I totally agree with you regarding our approach to tonights game, we were very negative and this has been typical of all our performances away from home this season.
Reply 32792
calderstonesLFC
Its the worst arsenal team ive seen in decade, never mind performance at anfield. It has come at such a horrible momment for them, with the new stadium costs needing to be paid for. I really for sorry for them, i liked them so much with their attacking, flowing football they were a breath of fresh air to the premership. To see a great side diminish like this is horrible for a fan.

I think the decline of Sol and their wingers, on top of Viera (their most influential player) trotting off to Italy, has crippled their backbone. Those few seasons they were on fire, yes, but the Premiership has changed. There is no side I'd like to watch more than Arsenal on full flow, but if they're not up for the contest they're limp, one dimensional and unimaginative. Up against the big boys today in midfield, theirs had nothing to give.
Reply 32793
Economist
On all the balance of play you deserved to win. When you include other factors such as the refereeing then you didnt deserve to win. How can you say you werent lucky when the ref ruled out an onside goal for us, another 1 on 1 and gave you a penalty.

Sadly, you make your own luck in football and the way we've been playing this season, especially away from home, we don't deserve any.
Mart21

This is his first bad season! Completely agree with you on the more experienced players. Ljunberg has been damn awful but is atleast trying which cant be said for Gilberto or Pires who are just **** now. The only player who stood out for us tonight and all season has been Fabregas. It was effectively 4 men against him since the others did bugger all. Great player and we need more like him

As for the transfer market if only it was that simple. Wenger is a master. Vieira is unreplaceable and im sure Wenger would have replaced him if he could.

Senderos has done a good job this season and is easily good enough to play in the premiership. He was phenominal at the back end of last season. The problem has been Sol who has been dragging the rest of the defence down. Our defence hasnt been to bad however when you consider the amount of injuries, we havent conceded that many. Its the midfield thats the problem.
Mart21
Sadly, you make your own luck in football and the way we've been playing this season, especially away from home, we don't deserve any.

We have been very unlucky away from home. A number of the results could have quite easily gone in our favour but havent even though we have been playing poorly.
in other news we've applied for the inter 2 bob
http://www.evertonfc.com/news/index.php?page_id=9181
Mart21
I wouldn't argue that some of his transfers have been amazing e.g. Thierry Henry, Marc Overmars, Robert Pires, Emmanuel Petit, Patrick Vieira etc., however, he has also brought in some absolute 'stinkers' i.e. Gilles Grimandi, Igor Stepanovs, Luhzny, Pascal Cygan, Phillipe Sanderos, Stefan Malz, Manuel Almunia to mention but a few.

Thierry Henry is instrumental to our team, however, one only needs to look at his performances this season, especially against Bolton Wanderers and Liverpool, to see that his heart is no longer in playing for Arsenal. In other words the chances are that he will go at the end of the season regardless of what offer David Dein and Arsene Wenger come up.

I totally agree with you regarding our approach to tonights game, we were very negative and this has been typical of all our performances away from home this season.

Good and bad transfers are just part of the game. Every manager does it.. for every Alonso,Garcia,Reina and fowler theres a josemi,diao,nando. Wengers transfer record is astonishingly sublime to say the least.
I agree on the henry point, he is very much similar to owen during his last season. Just going through the motions, making him self available on the shop window until the summer comes.
Some of your older players, who should be setting the example for the younger ones just dont give a toss anymore. Pires and Ljunberg are a shadow of there former selves.
I can see a mass stampede out of the emirate stadium if you fail to win the champions league.
oblivious
in other news we've applied for the inter 2 bob
http://www.evertonfc.com/news/index.php?page_id=9181

Great, i hope yas get in europe again. I loved seing ya's struggling after it.
We deserved to win because we dominated and created ALOT (more) of chances.

As for Arsenal, hopefully they can pick themselves up again, Campbell return and their defence back to normal. They have the CL to look forward to. I personally don't think Wenger should go.

Latest