The Ultimate Football Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
username9303
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by calderstonesLFC)
Lets be honest now. Morientes might have the goal instinct but hes got the touch of a metal sponge, and the confidence of a 3 legged mule in a fox race. Garcia is to consisntely inconsistent which really pisses me off more than any player ever has. The natural partner for crouch is fowler, but fitness wouldnt prevail.
Cisse cant use pace either, as most teams sit on their 18 yard box making his pass ineffective.
So definitely a no-no about having Crouch as a lone striker, with a few attacking players sitting behind him?
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well i think its unfair to have a lone striker who wont score.. (well not so often)
I guess this is why people wanted Owen back... (but hes too short for benitez's team!)
username9303
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by sarforaz)
Well i think its unfair to have a lone striker who wont score.. (well not so often)
I guess this is why people wanted Owen back... (but hes too short for benitez's team!)
Yer I suppose you're right. I just can't understand why he plays Morientes ahead of Cisse, because although he might miss a hatful of chances every game, he just seems to have much more of a positive effect than Nando.
DontBuyTheSun
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by olliemccowan)
Yer I suppose you're right. I just can't understand why he plays Morientes ahead of Cisse, because although he might miss a hatful of chances every game, he just seems to have much more of a positive effect than Nando.
Favouritsm, every manager has it. But it seems to work. He stuck by crouch when people were calling for his head (not me) and he pulled through. He has shown him over a year of confidence though its stupid.
Zerforax
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Perhaps its favourtism... but maybe he still thinks Morientes can get his form back? I mean lets be honest, if he did gain some of his form back he would be dangerous :p: whereas no matter how good form Cisse is, hes still going to screw up...
username9303
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by calderstonesLFC)
Favouritsm, every manager has it. But it seems to work. He stuck by crouch when people were calling for his head (not me) and he pulled through. He has shown him over a year of confidence though its stupid.
Very true, but there's only a certain amount of personal backing he can give Morientes. I bet the rest of the coaching staff at Liverpool sit there in bewilderment everytime he announced Morientes is going to be starting the next match. However I suppose when you fork out £6.3 million on someone, you'd look like a right prat if you left him on the bench every game. Mind you, he doesnt even show a balance, Cisse never gets any time these days.
DontBuyTheSun
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by sarforaz)
Perhaps its favourtism... but maybe he still thinks Morientes can get his form back? I mean lets be honest, if he did gain some of his form back he would be dangerous :p: whereas no matter how good form Cisse is, hes still going to screw up...
Even at monaco...Nando had a poor league record.
Rainy
Badges: 14
Report 13 years ago
Very true, but there's only a certain amount of personal backing he can give Morientes. I bet the rest of the coaching staff at Liverpool sit there in bewilderment everytime he announced Morientes is going to be starting the next match. However I suppose when you fork out £6.3 million on someone, you'd look like a right prat if you left him on the bench every game. Mind you, he doesnt even show a balance, Cisse never gets any time these days.
^o)

... or perhaps it's who he values as more important to his system and to the team at large? I agree that he's not up to scratch, and that Cisse deserves his chance, but people, don't start mouthing off at the manager for favouritism. He's among the least sentimental of managers I know. Morientes's touch, awareness, and link play outside the box really is good, but as soon as he steps within 15 yards of thre goal line he goes to pieces.
Ziggy Stardust
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Rainy)
^o)

... or perhaps it's who he values as more important to his system and to the team at large? I agree that he's not up to scratch, and that Cisse deserves his chance, but people, don't start mouthing off at the manager for favouritism. He's among the least sentimental of managers I know. Morientes's touch, awareness, and link play outside the box really is good, but as soon as he steps within 15 yards of thre goal line he goes to pieces.
Does he have a large number of assists this season?

Because if he doesn't then there's absolutel yno justification to playing him.
Rainy
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by dan)

No idea. I'm being objective, and going by what I've seen. It's intelligent build up, no finished article. Besides, you could be the best creator in the game, but if you haven't got a striker who can bury them, the stats would show you're nothing.
username9303
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by dan)

Just checked the stats for this season:

Fernando Morientes
Appearances: 14 (and 5 as a substitute)
Goals: 3
Assists: 2

So I don't think his contribution to the team is of any importance whatsoever.
Rainy
Report 13 years ago
Just checked the stats for this season:

Fernando Morientes
Appearances: 14 (and 5 as a substitute)
Goals: 3
Assists: 2

So I don't think his contribution to the team is of any importance whatsoever.
Ay, yet somehow I can think of a certain tubby Spanishman who's more qualified to say if he deserves his place than any of us. If he doesn't line up next game, so be it. Somehow, I don't think he came to win 2 La Ligas and the Champions League by consistently playing players he knows isn't good enough.
username9303
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Rainy)
Ay, yet somehow I can think of a certain tubby Spanishman who's more qualified to say if he deserves his place than any of us. If he doesn't line up next game, so be it. Somehow, I don't think he came to win 2 La Ligas and the Champions League by consistently playing players he knows isn't good enough.
I understand your point, but in your opinion who do you think deserves a place more, and why?
Rainy
Report 13 years ago
I understand your point, but in your opinion who do you think deserves a place more, and why?
Fowler: cup tied, couldn't play against City anyway
Cisse: pace, little vision, little link up, little finishing ability, does not necessarily fit into the managers plans
Morientes: slow, can't finish, isn't cuptied, links play.

Besides, you think our season's over? It's only just begun, and we'll be relying on Cisse and our other options heavily when the time comes.
Ziggy Stardust
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Jimmy Bullard is a football God.
Link
Danny the Geezer
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Anyone on any football forums?
DontBuyTheSun
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by jaydoh)
Anyone on any football forums?
Only RAWK but you wont enjoy it
www.redandwhitekop.com
Rainy
Report 13 years ago
Also RAWK for me, namely reading rather than actively posting.
DontBuyTheSun
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Its a great little forum isnt it, a bit to clickie at times.
non-centrally acting
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
a bit late but woooo, at least we've got some silverware this season :party:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (91)
33.7%
No I don't (126)
46.67%
I work during the holidays (53)
19.63%

Watched Threads