The Ultimate Football Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
username9303
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Rainy)
When was the last time we scored from a Beckham set piece? Gerrard didn't do badly, he filled his purpose.
Not sure, but given the quality of delivery he is producing, one could argue that it was in fact the players in the box at fault, not Beckham. Plus as far as I can recall from the last couple of games, he hasn't taken any free-kicks in what you would call an ideal position.
DontBuyTheSun
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
This is the problem, We have no decent midfield for years and then two world class central midfielders who cant work together, yet cant be dropped turn up. Inconsiderate if you ask me. The only way to really accomidate everyone is to drop a striker, and then its a owen v rooney argument. Sadly, rooney wins hands down. Really, Sven either needs to get some balls and make a decision on a CM to drop. Personally its Beckham and replace him with someone who can defend properly. Gerrard on the right, and Fat Frank Centremid. Or he could be really adventureous and do this...
Robinson
Neville Terry Carragher Cole
Carrick
Lampard Gerrard
SWP Cole
Rooney
Economist
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by calderstonesLFC)
This is the problem, We have no decent midfield for years and then two world class central midfielders who cant work together, yet cant be dropped turn up. Inconsiderate if you ask me. The only way to really accomidate everyone is to drop a striker, and then its a owen v rooney argument. Sadly, rooney wins hands down. Really, Sven either needs to get some balls and make a decision on a CM to drop. Personally its Beckham and replace him with someone who can defend properly. Gerrard on the right, and Fat Frank Centremid. Or he could be really adventureous and do this...
Robinson
Neville Terry Carragher Cole
Carrick
Lampard Gerrard
SWP Cole
Rooney
Firstly we have had a decent midfield for a long while. The problem has always been on the left and IMO is still a big problem today. Cole isnt the solution. You cant drop Owen or Rooney, they are different players. Rooney loves to drop off the frontline and therefore your system wouldnt work. Owen just thrives getting in and amoungst the opponents box and is an out and out goalscorer. You cant drop Beckham either. He leads the team well and easily deserves a place in the team, his performances for Madrid have been exceptional. And before you say he hasnt played well for England Gerrard has always been missing for England and Lampard has been average at best.If anything you drop Gerrard/Lampard ahead of Beckham imo. You cant start Carrick either.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Cole isn't the solution to the left wing. :confused:
username9303
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Cole isn't the solution to the left wing. :confused:
How did you come about that?
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by olliemccowan)
How did you come about that?
I'm disputing what Economist said. I feel that Joe Cole is our solution on the left wing, unless we could play him in the advanced midfield section like Kaka and Gudjohnsen does for their respective clubs.
jamieholmear
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i think gerrard would be a good choice to play on the right, as everytime he plays there for liverpool i think he is amazing. gerrard is very average for england bar a couple of games, nothing like the form he displays for liverpool, but i think he is too good to be dropped from the england team, hes quality! frank lampard also has to play, as since euro 2004 he has probably been englands most consistent performer. i like the idea of carrick playing as he is a very well balanced player who could give gerrard and lampard the attacking freedom they deserve. then theres joe cole, who always seems to come up with a goal, even if hes havin a quiet game, so its very hard to drop him as well! i suppose what im trying to get at is that if anyone should make way it should be beckham. its not that hes a abd player, hes just unlucky that hes the weakest out of a very strong bunch of midfielders form wise! and who needs beckhams free kicks/ corners when you have gerrard or lampard to choose from to take em!
ba_ba1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by jamieholmear)
i think gerrard would be a good choice to play on the right, as everytime he plays there for liverpool i think he is amazing. gerrard is very average for england bar a couple of games, nothing like the form he displays for liverpool, but i think he is too good to be dropped from the england team, hes quality! frank lampard also has to play, as since euro 2004 he has probably been englands most consistent performer. i like the idea of carrick playing as he is a very well balanced player who could give gerrard and lampard the attacking freedom they deserve. then theres joe cole, who always seems to come up with a goal, even if hes havin a quiet game, so its very hard to drop him as well! i suppose what im trying to get at is that if anyone should make way it should be beckham. its not that hes a abd player, hes just unlucky that hes the weakest out of a very strong bunch of midfielders form wise! and who needs beckhams free kicks/ corners when you have gerrard or lampard to choose from to take em!
you really havnt seen beckhams performaces this season for Real have you? He's probably been their best player, so you are talking crap when you say he is the weakest form wise. Anway i dont think its worth contemplating Beckham being dropped because we all know he is the last player that Sven would drop.
Economist
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm disputing what Economist said. I feel that Joe Cole is our solution on the left wing, unless we could play him in the advanced midfield section like Kaka and Gudjohnsen does for their respective clubs.
The problem lies in the fact that he cant use his left foot. Now im not saying you cant play a right footer on the left wing, we have with Pires for a long while but it is restrictive. Whenever he has to cross he cuts back in, good quality right backs will just show his the outside. He can do a good job but is not a solution imo.
ba_ba1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Economist)
The problem lies in the fact that he cant use his left foot. Now im not saying you cant play a right footer on the left wing, we have with Pires for a long while but it is restrictive. Whenever he has to cross he cuts back in, good quality right backs will just show his the outside. He can do a good job but is not a solution imo.
but Pires can use either foot cant he?
Economist
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ba_ba1)
but Pires can use either foot cant he?
Not really
oblivious
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
http://s1.ultrashare.net/hosting/dl/eda435254db76edb/

Van der vaart against stuttgart from last week
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by oblivious)
http://s1.ultrashare.net/hosting/dl/eda435254db76edb/

Van der vaart against stuttgart from last week
Haha, that's ace.

Where did he think the keeper was?!
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Should never have happened. A foul was committed by the eventual goal scorer.
username9303
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Should never have happened. A foul was committed by the eventual goal scorer.
You think it was a foul rather than just van der Vaart being shoulder charged off balance?
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Wasn't a foul. Van der Vaart was just bloody slow and once he knew he was gonna give a goal away and look like a right arse he decided to jump on the floor!
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hmmm don't really see much of German football to be honest and when I saw the clip it wasn't exactly free flowing (bandwidth issue perhaps or my CPU etc). I know that you can use strength over here but you know what they can be like in places like Spain for example.

The camera did look at the linesman which might suggest that perhaps a foul could have been given.
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hmmm don't really see much of German football to be honest and when I saw the clip it wasn't exactly free flowing (bandwidth issue perhaps or my CPU etc). I know that you can use strength over here but you know what they can be like in places like Spain for example.

The camera did look at the linesman which might suggest that perhaps a foul could have been given.
I think the cameraman went over to the linesman because Van der Vaart was appealing to him for a freekick.
username9303
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by dan)
Wasn't a foul. Van der Vaart was just bloody slow and once he knew he was gonna give a goal away and look like a right arse he decided to jump on the floor!
Yeah I agree with you. The fact that he seemed to go down pretty easily probably made the linesman think that he was trying to take the pussy's way out of conceding a humiliating goal. Is he on loan there? Or did he move?
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by olliemccowan)
Yeah I agree with you. The fact that he seemed to go down pretty easily probably made the linesman think that he was trying to take the pussy's way out of conceding a humiliating goal. Is he on loan there? Or did he move?
He's been there ages. He's such a fantastic player though, just a bad mistake. They've also got John de Jong now.. wow! :suitc:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (91)
33.46%
No I don't (127)
46.69%
I work during the holidays (54)
19.85%

Watched Threads