The Ultimate Football Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by piginapoke)
Chelsea are 'bigger' than Liverpool in terms of prestige, reputation and of course money at present. He would probably be playing regularly, just like Lampard.
indeed, Chelsea is bigger than Liverpool in terms of every criteria, and i cant see why gerrard wouldnt play every week if we dish out 31 million for him. itsalot of money though, and its overpriced obviously..
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Chelsea are 'bigger' than Liverpool in terms of prestige, reputation and of course money at present. He would probably be playing regularly, just like Lampard.
In terms of money, yes. But in terms of prestige and reputation, I don't think so. Before this season, there wasn't much between Liverpool and Chelsea. Liverpool has the history and past success that Chelsea can't compete with and the only reason they're better than us now is because of the money
serious narb
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well Chelsea finished 2nd in the league and were in the CL semis, whereas liverpool didn't do quite so well. So in the books of people who go by recent achievement to judge a team they are clearly 'bigger' than Liverpool just by the season just gone. Funny how people evoke historical stats which are competely irrelevant to the current team. You can't live off past glories for ever, Liverpool have gone downhill and are no longer a force to be reckoned with, but the only people who can't see that are those blinded by emotion and they are the same people who have to bring up meaningless historical data to back up their argument.
i agree, nottingham forrest won the european cup twice, are they bigger than Arsenal?
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well Chelsea finished 2nd in the league and were in the CL semis, whereas liverpool didn't do quite so well. So in the books of people who go by recent achievement to judge a team they are clearly 'bigger' than Liverpool just by the season just gone. Funny how people evoke historical stats which are competely irrelevant to the current team. You can't live off past glories for ever, Liverpool have gone downhill and are no longer a force to be reckoned with, but the only people who can't see that are those blinded by emotion and they are the same people who have to bring up meaningless historical data to back up their argument.
If you actually read my post properly, I admitted that Chelsea are better than us at the moment, and I said that they had a better season than us. I'm not denying that. And I wasn't using historical data to say we're better than Chelsea, I was using it to show that historically we've had more success. I know that doesn't count for anything anymore in terms of present success, but it's still important. Believe it or not, it's that past success that brought players like Harry Kewell to the club last season when we weren't even in the champions league.
Three seasons ago we finished second in the league, and I don't see what's changed since then. With a new manager and some new players we can become a successful club again
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well given:

My comment stands, IMO Chelsea currently is more presitgious and has a better reputation, purely based on the changes that have occured there and last season's performance.

Past success may figure in some people's reckoning, but as you admit it doesn't count for anything in real terms, a club is only as good as its last season. Historical data gives no indication of potential, and potential is what its all about.
True. Chelsea, Arsenal and Utd are the top three at the moment by far. But it's up to us to challenge that and try to put ourselves up there with them. Benitez wouldn't have left Valencia if he didn't believe that Liverpool had potential. We need big changes this summer, players in and players out. And most importantly we need to be able to keep hold of our best players like Gerrard and Owen
jonny40
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by XTinaA)
Here I'd like to make this thread controversial:

Arsene Wenger cannot do tactics. Sure, he can better players, he has his team playing good football, but against United and Chelsea he lost through tactics. Ferguson decided to play counter-attack through Ronaldo, and Ranieri bringing on Gronkjaer to suppress Ashley Cole was inspired. Wenger however, sticks a few forwards on when times get hard, removing the sort of player that would otherwise supply them. In the Cup we saw Henry come on, and Arsenal stopped playing football. Very basic tactics that didn't come off. I think he just expects Arsenal to turn teams over without tactics playing a part. Poor for a manager of a top European side.

Discuss
i totally disagree as an avid arsenal fan i beleive tht wenger's tactics and style of play won us the premiership and also made us the only team to go the season unbeaten for over 30 years
Xenon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
indeed, Chelsea is bigger than Liverpool in terms of every criteria, and i cant see why gerrard wouldnt play every week if we dish out 31 million for him. itsalot of money though, and its overpriced obviously..
Abramovic doesn't care about how much he pays for players, as long as he gets the m, and in many cases, he will totally overprice them.I think that for england,it might be better to have Gerrard and Owen playing together at club level for as long as they can, as they've got a pretty good partnership.
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Which can only presumably be done by proving to them that the team has potential. Apart from a certain few money-grabbers, players want to win things, they want to be remembered as having won things, so like rats desserting a sinking ship they won't stay too long somewhere they think they won't win anything.

Question is, can Liverpool realistically start 'winning things'*? Gerard may be the key to that.

* don't you just hate that phrase?
I think wanting Owen and Gerrard to stay had a lot to do with the change in manager. Gerrard says he wants to see at least three new signings in the summer, so let's hope that happens. Qualifying for the Champions League is important, as that is what will attract players here. We're already getting Cisse and rumour has it that Benitez is bringing Canizares with him
Claude
Report 15 years ago
I have a Gen Studies exam...I'll miss the England game.
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Going off topic slightly, what the hell is up with the new Liverpool away top? I don't know who designs these kits, but I'd like a word with them!

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drill...40616-1354.htm
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Très chic, is that 'custard yellow'?
It's horrible! Why YELLOW??? The new home kit isn't even that nice. I'll buy that, I'm not getting the away top though. I have the white away top from about four seasons ago that I still wear cos it's really nice!
chats
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
Going off topic slightly, what the hell is up with the new Liverpool away top? I don't know who designs these kits, but I'd like a word with them!

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drill...40616-1354.htm
thats disgusting
andy_
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
blatantly, yellows the best colour
Attached files
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
New fixtures for next season will be released on 24 June (next Thursday). Sky are expected to announce the games for live coverage and PPV in due course.
chats
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
barajca and morientes both playing, gameplan by the coach i think.
chats
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
anyone watchin the match?
who are the two commentators on bbc 1??????
the one with the deep voice sounds like david seaman???
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by chats)
anyone watchin the match?
who are the two commentators on bbc 1??????
the one with the deep voice sounds like david seaman???
Steve Wilson amd Mick McCarthy.
chats
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by theaman)
Steve Wilson amd Mick McCarthy.
McCarthy thats the one! i knew i recognised that voice
cheers
chats
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
am i the only one watching it???!!!!!

GOALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL !!!!!! GET IN THERE MORIENTES MY SON!!!!!
wizard
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
nah our defense just delivered -politely- the ball to him
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (208)
49.17%
No (48)
11.35%
I'm not old enough (167)
39.48%

Watched Threads