This discussion is closed.
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by piginapoke)
From BBC sport:

The top two qualify for the quarter-finals.
Russia now cannot qualify.

Group A situation explained

If Greece avoid defeat against Russia, they will qualify for the quarter-finals.
If Spain avoid defeat against Portugal, they will qualify for the quarter-finals.
Portugal must beat Spain to reach the quarter-finals.
Russia have already been eliminated.
If Spain lose against Portugal, they can only reach the quarter-finals if Russia beat Greece by a greater margin than Spain lose to Portugal OR if the goal difference is equal (between Spain and Greece) and Spain have scored the same or greater number of goals in all three group matches as Greece.
If Greece lose to Russia, they will only be eliminated if Portugal beat Spain by a smaller margin than Greece lose to Russia OR if the goal difference is equal (between Spain and Greece) and Spain have scored the same or greater number of goals in all three group matches as Greece.
Ok that just completely confused me! Was I right? It is still possible for Greece NOT to get through?
kriztinae
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yeah they can go out if they lose by more goals than Spain lose to Portugal by (if they do).
yes but if spain beats portugal
greece can afford to loose against russia
kriztinae
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Indeed. It seems Greece will be very unlucky to get knocked out in fact.
yeah theyve done really well!
im impressed yeey!!
Xenon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
In any group, if 2 teams are level on points, the 1st thing which is looked at is the results between the 2 teams. If the result was a draw, then the goal difference is reviewed.

I thought that Russia put up a very good fight in the 2nd half. Quite often, teams who go one player down play better. Portugal have got to play better if they want to go far. Ronaldo played really well when he came on. The Spain-Portugal encounter will be very interesting.
Shushi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by kriztinae)
yeah theyve done really well!
im impressed yeey!!
hey christine
watch the match today? Russia vs Portugal
i bloody missed everything, i went to library with my friends (we had a argument).
Shushi
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
I thought that Russia put up a very good fight in the 2nd half. Quite often, teams who go one player down play better.
human instinct
kriztinae
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by shushimeng)
hey christine
watch the match today? Russia vs Portugal
i bloody missed everything, i went to library with my friends (we had a argument).
yeah i watched it, was a good match!
my mum was shouting at me throughout the second half to go to sleep! (she tinks im sleepin now!!)
anyway i think it was wrong to send the goalie off... it looked to me that he touched it but he didnt that was unfair!
Shushi
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
yeah i watched it, was a good match!
my mum was shouting at me throughout the second half to go to sleep! (she tinks im sleepin now!!)
anyway i think it was wrong to send the goalie off... it looked to me that he touched it but he didnt that was unfair!
seen the highlights, i missed a good game. fair enough 1-1
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
really gd match, goalie sendoff ---wrongggg!
kriztinae
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
seen the highlights, i missed a good game. fair enough 1-1
yea the 1-1 was spain greece
portugl beat russian 2-0
kriztinae
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
really gd match, goalie sendoff ---wrongggg!
yeah that was mean!
but portugal played better so they still deservd to win
Shushi
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
yea the 1-1 was spain greece
portugl beat russian 2-0
wwo right watching the wrong thing
Godman where was i?
owow so russia is out then
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
yeah that was mean!
but portugal played better so they still deservd to win
yea portugal did play well, why isnt ronaldo starting? is this because hes clashing with figos position? surely ronaldo can be in the starting line up...fitting deco,ronaldo, and figo is hard...but if it works, itd be amazing
kriztinae
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
yea portugal did play well, why isnt ronaldo starting? is this because hes clashing with figos position? surely ronaldo can be in the starting line up...fitting deco,ronaldo, and figo is hard...but if it works, itd be amazing
yeah but figo is really good, maybe ronaldo gets tired quickly and so the coach puts him in at the end when figo gets tired?
kriztinae
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
wwo right watching the wrong thing
Godman where was i?
owow so russia is out then
i know
its always horrible to see someone loose! .. well unless u hate them!
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
yeah but figo is really good, maybe ronaldo gets tired quickly and so the coach puts him in at the end when figo gets tired?
maybe..some players give a better burst after sub, but in the premiership, ronaldo seems ok to play a full match. Portugal's tactic of bringing ronaldo in has played well, esp in hot climates, it is impossible to play the original starting lineup throughout the match within using subs during match
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
No player is so good they can't be replaced on bad form surely? And Ronaldo does survive Premiership matches, probably the most exhausting league in the world. I'm amazed how Frank Lampard can cope with it, Figo shouldn't complain.
kriztinae
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
maybe..some players give a better burst after sub, but in the premiership, ronaldo seems ok to play a full match. Portugal's tactic of bringing ronaldo in has played well, esp in hot climates, it is impossible to play the original starting lineup throughout the match within using subs during match
oh yes!
anything is possible!
anyway im off to sleep! my cold bed calls!!
goodnite xxx
Shushi
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i know
its always horrible to see someone loose! .. well unless u hate them!
well i can't say i love them but i don't hate them. plus i like few of the players, i am just punching my head for missing a important game like that!
kriztinae
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
im not saying figo complains, im sure he'd love to stay in and play but its up to the coach
ronaldo did do well today after he was subbed in, he passed the ball for rui costa was it? who scored
smart move!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (43)
33.08%
No I don't (61)
46.92%
I work during the holidays (26)
20%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise