The Ultimate Football Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
SamTheMan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
Nah, it might ease the pressure off England if France win tonight. Then, England only have to at least draw against Croatia.
England's midfield didn't totally control the match till about the last 10 minutes. The long ball was used way too often. What happened to sharp accurate passes. When good passes came into the box, England used them. The Rooney-Owen partnership isn't really working too well, but I'm still not 100% sure if Vassell can play as well if he starts the game. Becks, Owen and Scholes still didn't play too well. What is wrong with Owen? He doesn't seem to be really playing. Also, how often did england give away the ball cheaply? This cannot continue so much like this.
I was thinking more in terms of merit than actual winning points. Of course strategy-wise, we need France to win.
But I'd rather see England play well and make us proud than to see them obtain an unconvincing victory. So indeed, if France wins, it also looks better for England: at least they lost against a good team. If they lost, it would just seem like England only had a chance of winning the previous match because France weren't in top form (although I guess they really weren't).
chats
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
beautiful
chats
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
''ive got more hair than you''
theaman
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
And Zidane scores!
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Tinykates)
that's what the bbc guy said
Matt Smith was down pitchside for ITV1 - and said it was around 30 degrees.

I don't think they would have played it in 44 degree heat anyway.

Portugal doesn't usually reach that heat anyway, but if it does, its later on in summer.
Zapsta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Belated comments on the match:
The team that finished, admittedly playing against 10 men, looked better than the team that finished. Vassell worked much better with Rooney than Owen did and did brilliantly for the second goal. In fact I'm not sure that Owen would work with anyone at the moment, he was pretty poor.

Hargreaves also added something to the team that none of the starting midfielders have, i.e. a burst of energy and the ability to run with the ball. On many occasions this was lacking, meaning that we could only hurriedly pass the ball out in an effort to counter, giving it away more often than not. Even during normal phases of play, there were only so many passes we could string together, so playing a midfield only of passing players doesn't seem a great idea. Of the four, despite having a pretty solid match, I think that Scholes is the most expendable.

I also thought that Terry had a poor match, giving away needless free kicks in dangerous areas, exposed by Yakin's "pace" on a couple of occasions and not holding as good a line with Campbell as King did. Cole didn't have the best of games in defence either, so maybe should be replaced with Bridge, but I don't think it's really much area for concern.

So for the next match, I think it would be a good move to start Vassell with Rooney, Hargreaves in place of Scholes and King in place of Terry, although I can only see the first of these happening.
SamTheMan
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
that's what the bbc guy said
That's ridiculous. It can't be that hot.
chats
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
woohoo, tudor own goal.
ROONEY= Golden boot
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by SamTheMan)
That's ridiculous. It can't be that hot.
They wouldn't play it in that heat.

Read my post above.
SamTheMan
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Wasn't the former Switzerland manager English?
SamTheMan
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by piginapoke)
Are you thinking of Roy Hodgson? :confused:
Yea that's him. I remember supporting Switzerland during the 1994 World Cup for that reason. There wasn't really anyone else to support. Though I was glad to see Ireland perform. They had an impressive tournament.
chats
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
cheeky cheeky zidane, that was amazing.
croatia starting to push up a bit
TK
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by piginapoke)
Separated at birth?
oi you! leave my pierluigi alone!
chats
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
silvestre must be the phil neville of france
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
If only Beckham had done that.........

France 1-1 Croatia

Silvestre concedes penalty again, and Rapaic converts it, with Barthez almost getting to it again.
tammypotato
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
F*** goal for croatia
TK
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by tammypotato)
F*** goal for croatia
typical...when you want france to win :mad:
chats
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by theaman)
If only Beckham had done that.........

France 1-1 Croatia

Silvestre concedes penalty again, and Rapaic converts it, with Barthez almost getting to it again.
france should get still win though, the question is who will score henry or trezegeut?

oh prso
tammypotato
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
typical...when you want france to win :mad:
there is still 40 minutes (and remmeber france only need 2 minutes 2 win )

f******************************* ******************************** ******************************** **888
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
France 1-2 Croatia!

Unbelievable!

Desailly mistake, and Prso scores.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (13)
44.83%
No (9)
31.03%
I'm not old enough (7)
24.14%

Watched Threads