i wore my everton shirt again
go pierluigi!!!
Xenon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Brilliant game!
Rooney is class. And he might reach Owen's 25 goals in way less time, and watch out for him breaking the goalscoring record! I was disappointed that Owen didn't score the goal he so needed. But as soon as he scores a goal like Scholes did, his confidence will seriously increase, and england will have 2 good strikers who can score goals in the latter stages. Good to see goals all over. Only down side is our defending at set pieces. We need to improve that for the quarters!
shiny
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
And Beckham needs a kick up the arse!

Sorry the Croats did that tonight
mobbdeeprob
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Was it just me who felt all sentimental about the Argentina game when Owen picked up on the edge of the box, in space, and then looked to be go on a mazy run between defenders...before instead fluffing it on to the roof of the net?

I can't help but think that the guy has fallen off somewhat, and I really want him to make me mince my words, but it isn't happening as yet. Ah well, at least we have one top banana Mersey striker.
shiny
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Owen needs to hold his ground more. He ends up on the floor too easily.
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by mobbdeeprob)
Was it just me who felt all sentimental about the Argentina game when Owen picked up on the edge of the box, in space, and then looked to be go on a mazy run between defenders...before instead fluffing it on to the roof of the net?

I can't help but think that the guy has fallen off somewhat, and I really want him to make me mince my words, but it isn't happening as yet. Ah well, at least we have one top banana Mersey striker.
Owen just needs a goal somehow! I don't care if he noses it into the goal or shins it, he just needs a goal.
shiny
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It's difficult because ideally Rooney would supply Owen with the final ball to score. But since Rooney is brilliant he doesn't need Owen and can score himself
mobbdeeprob
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
Owen just needs a goal somehow! I don't care if he noses it into the goal or shins it, he just needs a goal.
I'm glad that Scholes scored though, his initial miss to Rooney's amazing set up was, in my eyes, shocking - it smacked of the whole 'snatched shot by a guy with rubbish confidence' scenario or alternatively, a product of the dire luck which accompanies such people. Let's just hope that Owen can knock three past the Portugese.
shiny
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Let's hope Rooner doesn't make the Portugese look too bad. They are the host nation after all
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by shiny)
Let's hope Rooner doesn't make the Portugese look too bad. They are the host nation after all
I am slightly worried about Ronaldo though. I wonder if Rooney can get the golden ball award. I mean, he's already top scorer.
shiny
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
I am slightly worried about Ronaldo though. I wonder if Rooney can get the golden ball award. I mean, he's already top scorer.
Thick moment ... Ronaldo plays on the right side doesn't he?
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by shiny)
He plays on both sides, depends how Scolari is feeling. Even then he and Figo switch a lot.
shiny
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Zapsta)
He plays on both sides, depends how Scolari is feeling. Even then he and Figo switch a lot.
I never noticed that. That's why I've seen him on both sides!

Neville will take care of him
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by shiny)
I never noticed that. That's why I've seen him on both sides!

Neville will take care of him
Should do, although I'd be slightly worried about Cole. Still, his extra pace should probably make him a better bet than Bridge.
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by shiny)
Ashley cole will be marking him, so yes.
mobbdeeprob
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I just hope that Portugal see the light and start playing in a similar manner to their opener against Greece . IMO they aren't all that great anyway, they lack impetus up front (if we exclude the occasional Nuno Gomes input). Their defence isn't exactly the best thing since sliced bread. Maniche looks like a pretty bog-standard midfielder to me. As Hansen commented, Figo is nowhere near the force that he once was - he's much lazier for a start.

We need to look out for Ronaldo and Deco though, they are in amazing form and will pose the most potent threat.
shiny
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
Ashley cole will be marking him, so yes.
Stick Scholesey on the left for the first 20 minutes and rough him up a bit
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I just hope that Portugal see the light and start playing in a similar manner to their opener against Greece . IMO they aren't all that great anyway, they lack impetus up front (if we exclude the occasional Nuno Gomes input). Their defence isn't exactly the best thing since sliced bread. Maniche looks like a pretty bog-standard midfielder to me. As Hansen commented, Figo is nowhere near the force that he once was - he's much lazier for a start.

We need to look out for Ronaldo and Deco though, they are in amazing form and will pose the most potent threat.
I agree about Figo not being as good. This will be a really tough test, and Deco and Ronaldo might give us problems.
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Deco has been awful. Maniche may not be the most exciting player but he gets into space well and passes the ball around nicely. He and Costinha will prove difficult to get through. With regards to defence, it may have been weak in the first match against Greece, but since then Carvalho has come in to replace Couto, and he's got a strong partnership going with Andrade. Similarly new full backs in Miguel and Nuno Valente have come in, with both, especially the latter, being excellent going forward and defending. Their problem will be getting goals with Ronaldo proving to be their only real attacking threat, but they should prove difficult to break down.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Zapsta)
Deco has been awful. Maniche may not be the most exciting player but he gets into space well and passes the ball around nicely. He and Costinha will prove difficult to get through. With regards to defence, it may have been weak in the first match against Greece, but since then Carvalho has come in to replace Couto, and he's got a strong partnership going with Andrade. Similarly new full backs in Miguel and Nuno Valente have come in, with both, especially the latter, being excellent going forward and defending. Their problem will be getting goals with Ronaldo proving to be their only real attacking threat, but they should prove difficult to break down.
i dont think deco has been awful at all mate
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (158)
47.45%
No (42)
12.61%
I'm not old enough (133)
39.94%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise