That ref. Grr.
chidori
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by piginapoke)
Hopefully its safe to post this now.

Am I the only one who thinks Terry did foul the goalie? He had his arm over his shoulder and dragged him down. Seen many many free kicks given for much less.
Well, I do think that the goalie was impeded in a way which prevented him from making the save. However, it was unfortunate that both Terry AND Campbell were going for the ball.

I dunno, it all happened so quickly. The next thing I knew, the Portugese were all the way at the other end of the pitch.
Phatjayunoi
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago

Am I the only one who thinks Terry did foul the goalie? He had his arm over his shoulder and dragged him down. Seen many many free kicks given for much less.

Heh your not alone here. I mean come on, the replay did kinda show that quite obviously though.
wizard
Badges:
Report 15 years ago

Yea he did.
hattori
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Fact is, England are quite boring to watch, have very little skill or flair in the team barring a couple of exceptions, and just don't have the ability to cut it against truly strong opposition.
Well you can't really play far up the pitch when the gerrard/beckham mentality is to go for long balls from inside your own half to Owen.

It is possible to push up the defence and then play 2 banks of 4. That might be more effective.

I would like to compare how deep they played against france and portugal against how they played against argentina in the world cup 2002.
hattori
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Gerrard never seems to go for the simple pass does he? He always seems to be looking for a fancy-dan first-time pass to put a striker through. Trouble is, the percentage pay off is very low.

England don't seem to be able to play the pressure-style game, which usually happens against teams that are defending deep, where you've got to pick your way through a defending midfield to get into the box. Admittedly not many teams can, but that's what Portugal and France had to do. I don't think England are capable at the highest level, as you say they resort to long balls or they rely on set pieces. They don't really have enough skill on the ball to go dancing through a ranked defence.
Erm...I wouldn't say they resort to long balls but a couple of players seem to look for them. I don't want to blame a couple of players but you can't get the defence to play higher up if there is basically no midfield play. Defence need to have time to get up that high.

I feel it kills our best assets scholes and lampard who create something, even gary neville and ashley cole are wasted by not using the midfield.

It's not all about dancing through defences but you have to play the easy balls and work their defenders, even if its just to keep the ball and not look for goals. England seem to force it too much. When you play to scholes' strength and lampard's then they create some movement even on the counter attack, and can change counter attack to keeping possesion. (Beckham really weren't up to playing counter attack today either. )

I agree england couldn't score against a team that played deep like england. That's more a team selection issue.

England definetly should have mixed it up more. There times when you need to get men behind the ball and counter. Theres time when you need to make the decision that you're too pressured and need to keep the ball in midfield, defend higher up, defend from the front (wayne rooney!alan smith? if you call that tackling) and keep possesion even if you don't go for goal straight away.
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
right, i've seen enough post-match discussion to last me for the next week at least.

i don't know if this has been covered before, but what does everyone think of a UK football team, instead of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales?
it would increase the skill level of the team and competition for certain places, as well as stopping Scotland laughing at us when we go crashing out of a major quarter final (again).
LH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
right, i've seen enough post-match discussion to last me for the next week at least.

i don't know if this has been covered before, but what does everyone think of a UK football team, instead of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales?
it would increase the skill level of the team and competition for certain places, as well as stopping Scotland laughing at us when we go crashing out of a major quarter final (again).
Who from Scotland/Nothern Ireland/Wales would get in the team apart from Giggs?
Logarithm
Report 15 years ago
Right, then Italy/Spain/Portugal form a team....
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
Who from Scotland/Nothern Ireland/Wales would get in the team apart from Giggs?
Jones, Bellamy, McFadden and Davies would all push. Speed would have in earlier years but not now.
Logarithm
Report 15 years ago
But Sctoland/Wales/ireland don't have any players who are good enough to get into the team.

Apart from Giggs, but even then, the England midfielders are no worse than him anyway - APART FROM BECKHAM.
tis_me_lord
Badges: 14
Report 15 years ago
We were robbed, enough said.
serious narb
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Zapsta)
Jones, Bellamy, McFadden and Davies would all push. Speed would have in earlier years but not now.
Bellamy is an injury plagued poor mans owen/vasell who is nothing without shearer

Davies is a little floppy haird poof who is too weak and not even guaranteed a place in the spurs 1st team

mcfadden, an everton reserve, maybe in a few years could do a job but he is average at best

who the hell is jones?
LH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Logarithm)
But Sctoland/Wales/ireland don't have any players who are good enough to get into the team.

Apart from Giggs, but even then, the England midfielders are no worse than him anyway - APART FROM BECKHAM.
Giggs on England's left wing would have made us a very strong team.
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by serious narb)
Bellamy is an injury plagued poor mans owen/vasell who is nothing without shearer

Davies is a little floppy haird poof who is too weak and not even guaranteed a place in the spurs 1st team

mcfadden, an everton reserve, maybe in a few years could do a job but he is average at best

who the hell is jones?
Bellamy could do a far better job than Owen and Vassell.

Davies will consistently make the Spurs first team, as will he consistently make the Wales first team. Fantastic player cursed by injuries and team mates who can't play football over the last season. Plus he's a right winger, unlikely the guy currently playing on the right (and not doing a very good job).

McFadden's been in the Everton first team on a number of occasions, but I was admittedly thinking of him more as someone who can come off the bench and make things happen. Would again be preferred to Vassell or someone like Joe Cole.

Paul Jones is Wales' keeper :rolleyes:.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Bellamy could do a far better job than Owen and Vassell.

Davies will consistently make the Spurs first team, as will he consistently make the Wales first team. Fantastic player cursed by injuries and team mates who can't play football over the last season. Plus he's a right winger, unlikely the guy currently playing on the right (and not doing a very good job).

McFadden's been in the Everton first team on a number of occasions, but I was admittedly thinking of him more as someone who can come off the bench and make things happen. Would again be preferred to Vassell or someone like Joe Cole.

Paul Jones is Wales' keeper :rolleyes:.

lol Davies?
serious narb
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
lol Davies?
exactly what i was thinking, and jones? isn't he like 38? not a great solution

sorry but you have just named very average players who are not good enough

we might as well mention other englishman who are good but didn't make it to the squad:

smith
defoe
Green
barry
j'lyod samuel
david dunn
matthew upson
scott parker

all of those are at least as good as that mediocre list of welsh and scotsmen, in fact most i would say are better
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by serious narb)
exactly what i was thinking, and jones? isn't he like 38? not a great solution

sorry but you have just named very average players who are not good enough
Not a great solution? Still a solution. I'd pick him over the current crop of English keepers any day. I still don't see why any of those players are average. When fully fit, Bellamy is consistently excellent for both club and country. The same can be said for Davies, although he has admittedly suffered at club level for lack of good players around him. His injury was considered to be a key reason for Wales' failure to qualify for Euro 2004. McFadden's extremely talented and will be a massive success in the Premiership. Not one of those players is average.
serious narb
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Not a great solution? Still a solution. I'd pick him over the current crop of English keepers any day. I still don't see why any of those players are average. When fully fit, Bellamy is consistently excellent for both club and country. The same can be said for Davies, although he has admittedly suffered at club level for lack of good players around him. His injury was considered to be a key reason for Wales' failure to qualify for Euro 2004. McFadden's extremely talented and will be a massive success in the Premiership. Not one of those players is average.
yeah but my list of englishmen that didn;t make it is better

bellamy is nothing without shearer, don't think he scored many last season either
mcfadden is talented, but still not a patch on defoe who is about the same age

also as far as keepers go i rate the likes of Green and kirkland who are both young enough and good enough for us now better than james or jones
mobbdeeprob
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Figo should be pensioned off and sent to one of the Algarve's many wonderful retirement homes. Then, maybe, he would win a foot race - perhaps the one to dinner or the medicine dispenser?

He is clearly past it.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (160)
19.37%
Labour (420)
50.85%
Liberal Democrats (111)
13.44%
Green Party (46)
5.57%
Brexit Party (12)
1.45%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.48%
SNP (14)
1.69%
Plaid Cymru (4)
0.48%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
0.73%
SDLP (1)
0.12%
Ulster Unionist (4)