The Ultimate Football Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
goldenbarnes
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Will Owen go?

Charlton have done good business there as well, Danny Murphy £2.5M? Bargain.
mc_watson87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by Kuz)
Wheres Wolfie these days?
On holiday me thinks.

(Original post by goldenbarnes)
Will Owen go?

Charlton have done good business there as well, Danny Murphy £2.5M? Bargain.
I'm not so sure about Murphy, despite being only 27 i think he has passed it. He always looks tired and worn out.
I doubt Owen will go. Real Madrid are the only people who are "interested" in him, and god knows why! Vieira is pretty much a certainty to leave for Real, and they have already splashed out cash this summer. So i doubt they would pay another £10 M plus Morientes for Owen, especially after Morientes' wicked pre-season form. Though If the rumoured offer by Real is true, it seems stupid for Liverpool to refuse, as in my opinion Morientes is a way better striker than Owen.
Zapsta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Looks like we're going to sign Naybet, although having said that it also looked like we were going to sign Murphy. I think he'll be a good buy, obviously old, but as long as we get a good season out of him, bringing King on and also hopefully helping us to a high league spot and possibly a bit of silverware, we can use any money we make during the course of the season to buy someone younger who can partner a much improved King . Great stuff.
trouttrout
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Best Player In World Is Robert Earnshaw Of Cardiff City! Come On The Cardiff> Stuff The Coventry Tonight!!!! Come On Boys!!!

Mod Expression - Washes mouth out with soap.
theaman
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Zapsta)
Looks like we're going to sign Naybet, although having said that it also looked like we were going to sign Murphy. I think he'll be a good buy, obviously old, but as long as we get a good season out of him, bringing King on and also hopefully helping us to a high league spot and possibly a bit of silverware, we can use any money we make during the course of the season to buy someone younger who can partner a much improved King . Great stuff.
Nah, Naybet looks like he will sign.

And yes, he'll be a great signing, bringing King on, as well as Gardner, who has the potential, but hasn't worked to it yet. Doherty is another one who will benefit.

Whether Richards and Bunjevcevic will benfit or whether they leave is another story.

Plus, we have Defendi too.

Also, still being linked with John O'Shea, Steed Malbranque and Shaun Wright-Phillips, but not sure whether they will come or not.
serious narb
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Charlton have signed Franny 'jug ears' jeffers from the gooners for £2.6m

if curbs can get the best of him he's a good signing

leaves Arsenal short on experienced out and out strikers with alliadiere injured, wiltord and kanu gone, bentley out on loan and dennis bergkamp in his last year the ycould do with 1 more forward
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by theaman)
Whether Richards and Bunjevcevic will benfit or whether they leave is another story.
Lol. I think they've got enough experience so as not to need big daddy Naybet. I should think that Richards will be shown the door soon enough, although Santini seems to like Bunjevcevic. Shame about Richards, he started off so promisingly, but time's not on his side and I can't see him getting any of that form back. Defendi won't be in the first team for a while.

As for your rumours, SWP has been linked for a while, but I think Malbranque is just something that optimistic fans are clinging onto after it popped up a while back. Don't see anything in the O'Shea rumours at all, Fergie definitely can't afford to lose him for the time being with Ferdinand out until mid-September and Heinze off at the Olympics. We still need that left winger though, probably Reid, possibly someone else (personal favourite is Jankulovski, but if Juve really want him then I should think he'll opt to go there).
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Lol. I think they've got enough experience so as not to need big daddy Naybet. I should think that Richards will be shown the door soon enough, although Santini seems to like Bunjevcevic. Shame about Richards, he started off so promisingly, but time's not on his side and I can't see him getting any of that form back. Defendi won't be in the first team for a while.

As for your rumours, SWP has been linked for a while, but I think Malbranque is just something that optimistic fans are clinging onto after it popped up a while back. Don't see anything in the O'Shea rumours at all, Fergie definitely can't afford to lose him for the time being with Ferdinand out until mid-September and Heinze off at the Olympics. We still need that left winger though, probably Reid, possibly someone else (personal favourite is Jankulovski, but if Juve really want him then I should think he'll opt to go there).
Left winger?

Are you serious?

Atouba, Ziegler, Jackson (who is having a very good pre-season) - that should be enough for now at least.

Davies, Dilveski (when deal is completed) and Ricketts are on the right side.

Bunjevcevic was booed, along with Richards and Doherty during pre-season.

I still think Doherty is a useful squad member.

Christian Wilhelmsson would be a great signing.
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Left winger?

Are you serious?

Atouba, Ziegler, Jackson (who is having a very good pre-season) - that should be enough for now at least.
Are YOU serious? Atouba's a left back who can play in midfield. He'll fill in on the left wing if we have no one else, but he's surely been earmarked to compete with Edman for the left back spot.

Ziegler doesn't come in until January, and I don't think he's going to be thrust into the action even then. Another one for the future.

Jackson has had a shocking pre-season. The guy's just awful. Not Premiership quality at all. Good ball for Kanoute's goal on Saturday, but pretty crap the rest of the match. Similarly crap in other matches. He's not even a left winger, just a central midfielder who's not good enough to play in his preferred position, so I don't see how he can be viewed as a proper option. He wouldn't even be at the club if he were right footed.
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Are YOU serious? Atouba's a left back who can play in midfield. He'll fill in on the left wing if we have no one else, but he's surely been earmarked to compete with Edman for the left back spot.

Ziegler doesn't come in until January, and I don't think he's going to be thrust into the action even then. Another one for the future.

Jackson has had a shocking pre-season. The guy's just awful. Not Premiership quality at all. Good ball for Kanoute's goal on Saturday, but pretty crap the rest of the match. Similarly crap in other matches. He's not even a left winger, just a central midfielder who's not good enough to play in his preferred position, so I don't see how he can be viewed as a proper option. He wouldn't even be at the club if he were right footed.
Atouba can play in both positions but i reckon he will be left winger with Edman first choice left back.

We can't afford to leave a player of his calibre on the bench.

Jackson played well on Saturday, did okay in the rest of the games but not spectacular.

Dean Marney seems another good prospect too, along eith Ifill and Highes.

What would be your ideal starting eleven then?
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Atouba can play in both positions but i reckon he will be left winger with Edman first choice left back.

We can't afford to leave a player of his calibre on the bench.

Jackson played well on Saturday, did okay in the rest of the games but not spectacular.

Dean Marney seems another good prospect too, along eith Ifill and Highes.

What would be your ideal starting eleven then?
Atouba can play both positions, but prefers left back. Plus, if he was signed as a left winger, that leaves us with one left back in the squad at the mo, assuming that Tano's being shifted across to the right to step in for Carr. I'm not suggesting leave him on the bench, but both he and Edman have different qualities that could be exploited depending on our opponents. Playing against skillful wingers, Edman's going to get turned inside out, however Atouba is weaker in the air, therefore if we're playing inferior teams who prefer to hoof it upfield, Edman would make more sense.

Jackson didn't mess up like he did on several occasions last season, but he offers no cutting edge at all. Can't beat a man and doesn't read the game well enough to pick out a killer pass. Similar could be said for Marney - he's solid, better than Jackson, but is never going to contribute that much going forward. If we're playing two central midfielders who prefer sitting deep in Davis and Mendes/Redknapp then we need real attacking flair down the wings, players who can really get forward, but neither Jackson nor Marney can offer that. I agree though that Hughes and Ifil will both be great. Ifil should get a few games at least at right back.

Team at the moment I think pretty much picks itself, assuming Naybet signs:

Robinson

Tano Naybet King Edman

Davies Davis Mendes Atouba

Kanoute Defoe

But as I said, I'd like to see a new left winger come in, I'd probably switch Atouba to left back in that case. If a new right winger comes in in the form of either SWP or Wilhelmsson, all the better, but Davies would still be a good bet .
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Team at the moment I think pretty much picks itself, assuming Naybet signs:

Robinson

Tano Naybet King Edman

Davies Davis Mendes Atouba

Kanoute Defoe
I'd probably go with the same team, but Keane would go in there when he comes back, and possibly Kelly preferred to Taricco.

Tudor and Dellas are still being strongly linked with Spurs too.
chats
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
what a day!

charlton get danny murphy and francis jeffers!

get in there charlton!

I saw Rommedahl play the other day, he is a bit special :cool:
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'd probably go with the same team, but Keane would go in there when he comes back, and possibly Kelly preferred to Taricco.

Tudor and Dellas are still being strongly linked with Spurs too.
Please no Dellas, one tourni wonder. Never produced at club level. Tudor would be nice, if he can get over the injuries.
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Please no Dellas, one tourni wonder. Never produced at club level. Tudor would be nice, if he can get over the injuries.
Yeah, but I'd still have both of them to replace Richards and Bunjevcevic.

By the way, Wright-Phillips may be persuaded to move to Spurs as he has a link with our Under-21 internationals and Malbranque has a link with Santini - Lyon - so those two are possible signings.

Would still like another striker, though da Silva is playing agaisnt Celtic tonight and is said to be impressing, so maybe they are considering him, as we do need a 4th choice striker.
chats
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
why didnt murphy join spurs?
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by chats)
why didnt murphy join spurs?
Because we couldn't offer him first team football.
chats
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
oh right
Kuz
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yeah I was going to say, as I thought the Spurs deal was a sure thing, I was quite suprised to see him sign for Charlton. Although I believe Murphy to be nothing special even mediocre, 2.6M for any premiership player is good going
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yeah, but I'd still have both of them to replace Richards and Bunjevcevic.

By the way, Wright-Phillips may be persuaded to move to Spurs as he has a link with our Under-21 internationals and Malbranque has a link with Santini - Lyon - so those two are possible signings.

Would still like another striker, though da Silva is playing agaisnt Celtic tonight and is said to be impressing, so maybe they are considering him, as we do need a 4th choice striker.
Malbranque I don't think is even in consideration to be honest. Wright-Phillips would probably love the move, but we have to get Man City to accept a bid for him first.

As for Dellas replacing Richards and Bunjevcevic, I still don't see how there's any evidence to suggest it would be worth it. We signed Vega on the back of a European Championship, he's one of the worst players we've ever had. There's no reason why, at 28, Dellas should do any better at Spurs than he's done at any of his other 5 or 6 clubs, which even in Greece was terribly.

Deliberately going out and signing a 4th choice striker is a similarly stupid move. Who does that? Sign a player who you suspect will sit on the bench, but at least have a hope that he'll challenge your starting strikers. Silva is not going to do that in the slightest. Might as well put Doc or Yeates up front. Just seems pointless.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (409)
43.6%
No (98)
10.45%
I'm not old enough (431)
45.95%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed