The Ultimate Football Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
theaman
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Duff would be a great signing for Spurs if he left - but he's just outside our price range.

I reckon Chelsea could field this midfield:

Robben Makelele Lampard Duff

This seems to be their best option, with reserves of Tiago, Scott Parker, Joe Cole and Geremi.
mc_watson87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by Zapsta)
It wouldn't be playing out of position at all. Mourinho's desired formation is apparently 4-3-3 with two players dropping off a main striker. Both Duff and Robben would relish the role of playing behind a striker. Even in a 4-4-2, Duff would be perfectly willing to play in the middle, and in a diamond Robben could play on the left, albeit both tactics would leave them somewhat lightweight in midfield. But if your choosing between Robben and Geremi or Duff and Geremi (i.e. the player most likely to keep one of them out of the team) you're going to pick the former on both occasions, so if playing both Robben and Duff can work, that's what Mourinho will do.
Personally I don't think Duff and Robben could be played in the same team effectively. I think they would end up drifting into the same position, which would leave Chelsea with no movement on the Right. Also i rate Geremi higher than most, and I think he would be more effective on the right, than either Duff or Robben. Both Duff and Robben are great with the ball at their feet, but i don't think they have the same vision, passing abilty or calmness on the ball as Geremi.
mc_watson87
Rep:
?
(Original post by theaman)
Duff would be a great signing for Spurs if he left - but he's just outside our price range.

This seems to be their best option, with reserves of Tiago, Scott Parker, Joe Cole and Geremi.
I think that would leave Chelsea rather short of width and cover. As Both Duff and Robben tend to run in towards the goal whenever they can. I think Geremi would be better on the right being a natural right footer, and would give them more width.
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by mc_watson87)
I think that would leave Chelsea rather short of width. As Both Duff and Robben tend to run in towards the goal. I think Geremi would be better on the right being a natural right footer, and would give them more width.
But they only generally run towards the goal when there is a chance created for them by another player - they are both goalscoring midfielders and this is perhaps one of the reasons they bought them for.

Both like to run at players and get crosses in though, so they would provide Chelsea with width, not forgetting that Lampard and Makelele also like to drift out wide on occasions anyway.

Geremi, though would probably be used in a game which Chelsea would need a more defensive midfield, along with Scott Parker too.
_EMMA_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
sense this is the ultimate football thread i guess that you can takl about what's happening in the olympics as well. sweden played (females) towards nigera today and the score was 2-1 which means that sweden are in the quarter final towards australia. greece and mexico are playing now (males) and it is 0-0 so far. i can imagine that greece feel a lot of pressure beeing the host country and everything. is there anyone else that watches the olympic football games?
mc_watson87
Rep:
?
But they only generally run towards the goal when there is a chance created for them by another player - they are both goalscoring midfielders and this is perhaps one of the reasons they bought them for.

Both like to run at players and get crosses in though, so they would provide Chelsea with width, not forgetting that Lampard and Makelele also like to drift out wide on occasions anyway.

Geremi, though would probably be used in a game which Chelsea would need a more defensive midfield, along with Scott Parker too.
True, true, though i would still prefer to have a natural right footer on the right. Also I don't think either Duff or Robben are excellent at crossing the ball.
Zapsta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Personally I don't think Duff and Robben could be played in the same team effectively. I think they would end up drifting into the same position, which would leave Chelsea with no movement on the Right. Also i rate Geremi higher than most, and I think he would be more effective on the right, than either Duff or Robben. Both Duff and Robben are great with the ball at their feet, but i don't think they have the same vision, passing abilty or calmness on the ball as Geremi.
Considering how much more effective Geremi is on set-pieces than in open play, I don't see how calmness on the ball can be noted as one of his attributes. As you said, playing both in a 4-4-2 at least would leave them with little movement down the right, however Mourinho has already shown that he prefers getting width from his full backs anyway, by playing a diamond on Sunday and having 4-3-3 as his preferred formation (to be honest, I've only read that and haven't seen it for myself, but I'm prepared to trust my sources ). This would leave something along the lines of:

.............Drogba
....Duff...............Robben

Lampard...Makelele...Geremi

-------------------------

.............Drogba
....Duff...............Striker

Robben...Makelele...Lampard

.....Drogba....Striker
.............Duff
.....Robben....Lampard
...........Makelele

All of which would work perfectly well
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
True, true, though i would still prefer to have a natural right footer on the right. Also I don't think either Duff or Robben are excellent at crossing the ball.
Duff played on the eight hand side quite a few times last season, and Robben and Van der Meyde kept switching wings in Holand;s game during Euro 2004, so both have played quite a fair bit on that side, so they have been able to adapt to playing on that wing.

I reckon both are good crossers of the ball, though, but, I think they usually produce lower crosses than the likes of Giggs and Pires.
mc_watson87
Rep:
?
(Original post by _EMMA_)
sense this is the ultimate football thread i guess that you can takl about what's happening in the olympics as well. sweden played (females) towards nigera today and the score was 2-1 which means that sweden are in the quarter final towards australia. greece and mexico are playing now (males) and it is 0-0 so far. i can imagine that greece feel a lot of pressure beeing the host country and everything. is there anyone else that watches the olympic football games?
Yah i have been watching them.

I am supporting Ronaldo. :cool:
He played wicked for Portugal on Sunday against Morocco and got on the score sheet.
serious narb
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

bloody hell, they would let in a ****load with that midfield, Duff and Robben both like to bomb forward at every opportunity so playing them both would leave no cover for the full backs at all. And after his performances in the euros i dont think that portugese full back can cope without cover from midfield
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
He'd also have far bigger fish to fry.
mc_watson87
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zapsta)
Considering how much more effective Geremi is on set-pieces than in open play, I don't see how calmness on the ball can be noted as one of his attributes. As you said, playing both in a 4-4-2 at least would leave them with little movement down the right, however Mourinho has already shown that he prefers getting width from his full backs anyway, by playing a diamond on Sunday and having 4-3-3 as his preferred formation (to be honest, I've only read that and haven't seen it for myself, but I'm prepared to trust my sources ). This would leave something along the lines of:

.............Drogba
....Duff...............Robben

Lampard...Makelele...Geremi

.............Drogba
....Duff...............Striker

Robben...Makelele...Lampard

.....Drogba....Striker
.............Duff
.....Robben....Lampard
...........Makelele

All of which would work perfectly well
4-3-3 was his preferred formation at Porto, however i reckon he will play more often than not a 4-4-2 diamond formation at Chelsea.

Mourinho is quite a defensive manager, and all your above formations look rather Real Madrid gung ho esk.
Also i think all those formations play Lampard too defensively.
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by serious narb)
bloody hell, they would let in a ****load with that midfield, Duff and Robben both like to bomb forward at every opportunity so playing them both would leave no cover for the full backs at all. And after his performances in the euros i dont think that portugese full back can cope without cover from midfield
Makelele and Lampard are there too to help out you know!

But, it would leave Ferreira (or perhaps Gallas) a bit exposed, which would mean Geremi is the preferred choice.

But it all depends on how Mourinho approaches the opposition of each match they play.
serious narb
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Makelele and Lampard are there too to help out you know!

But, it would leave Ferreira (or perhaps Gllas) a bit exposed, which would mean Geremi is the preferred choice.

But it all depends on how Mourinho approaches the opposition of each match they play.
I think the 1st choice central midfield should normally be Makalele and lampard, you can then have parker on the right who provides a bit more cover allowing you to have one of Duff/Robben to bomb down the left wing
_EMMA_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

I am supporting Ronaldo. :cool:
you and millions of other people around the globe he is a good player.
i support sweden and the females if i dare to say that here again. the last time i got in trouble cause it wasn't considered as real football. i'm not a feminist btw, i like watching the males games as well.
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by serious narb)
I think the 1st choice central midfield should normally be Makalele and lampard, you can then have parker on the right who provides a bit more cover allowing you to have one of Duff/Robben to bomb down the left wing
No, not Parker on the right.

He always looks out of place in that role and likes to drift into the centre, which was a bit like what Jamie Redknapp was doing for Spurs on Saturday in the Liverpool game.

Geremi is the better option.
mc_watson87
Rep:
?
Mourinho is a right joker.

Reporter: Have you assesed the size of your opponents?
Mourinho: I know everything.
Reporter: *No comment*
Mourinho: Do u want me to tell you?
Reporter: Yes
Mourinho: *Starts quoting the heights of the Man utd players*
Reporter: *Giggle*
Mourinho: See I know everything. :cool:

Even though i am meant to hate him, I do find him rather amusing.
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Mourinho is a right joker.

Reporter: Have you assesed the size of your opponents?
Mourinho: I know everything.
Reporter: *No comment*
Mourinho: Do u want me to tell you?
Reporter: Yes
Mourinho: *Starts quoting the heights of the Man utd players*
Reporter: *Giggle*
Mourinho: See I know everything. :cool:

Even though i am meant to hate him, I do find him rather amusing.
Yes, but is he more amusing than Ranieri?

And there is a new rival for The Most Amusing Premiership Manager Award - Mr Jacques Santini!
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
4-3-3 was his preferred formation at Porto, however i reckon he will play more often than not a 4-4-2 diamond formation at Chelsea.

Mourinho is quite a defensive manager, and all your above formations look rather Real Madrid gung ho esk.
That's true, but he's more defensive in the way he plays rather than the players he plays. He often played McCarthy, Derlei, Carlos Alberto, Deco, Maniche and even Alenitchev in the same team, all potentially very attacking players (I say potentially because Maniche was usually in an anchor role alongside Costinha).
mc_watson87
Rep:
?
Yes, but is he more amusing than Ranieri?
Never! Ranieri was too cool, while Mourinho is just too arrogant.

And there is a new rival for The Most Amusing Premiership Manager Award - Mr Jacques Santini!
Still has to proove himself for me.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (168)
19.13%
Labour (448)
51.03%
Liberal Democrats (117)
13.33%
Green Party (50)
5.69%
Brexit Party (13)
1.48%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.46%
SNP (15)
1.71%
Plaid Cymru (4)
0.46%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
0.68%
SDLP (1)
0.11%
Ulster Unionist (4)
0.46%
UKIP (9)
1.03%
Other (8)
0.91%
None (31)
3.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise