The Ultimate Football Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Zapsta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Ledley, Jermain and Super Si . I'm sure that a few of the new signings will come good as well. Particularly pleased with Naybet and Mendes looks like he's got a touch of class.
theaman
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Zapsta)
Ledley, Jermain and Super Si . I'm sure that a few of the new signings will come good as well. Particularly pleased with Naybet and Mendes looks like he's got a touch of class.
Yes, I like all those players, thougn King did not partiuclarly have a good game. Davis and Atouba had good games, and Mendes could prove to be a very good attacking mdfielder.

And Defoe is always looking sharp; lets hope Davies can start reproducing his good form again.
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by theaman)
Yes, I like all those players, thougn King did not partiuclarly have a good game. Davis and Atouba had good games, and Mendes could prove to be a very good attacking mdfielder.

And Defoe is always looking sharp; lets hope Davies can start reproducing his good form again.
I don't know where you get your judgement on King from. He was calm and composed, used his pace to come across brilliantly on several occasions, but Naybet just seemed to get to everything first. He didn't do anything wrong though and it looks like the combination of Ledley's pace and Naybet's experience could provide an excellent partnership. Atouba didn't have enough time to show how good he actually is, and despite whipping in a few good crosses and winning a couple of challenges, he looked clumsy on the ball and probably didn't look like the man we need to take his man on and get to the by-line. Could go either way, but I still see him as someone who should ideally be challenging Edman for the left back spot. I don't think Mendes will be given much of an attacking role either. He just doesn't seem to want it, being more content to sit and spread the passes, so we really need players prepared to get up and down the wings to give us some impetus.
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I don't know where you get your judgement on King from. He was calm and composed, used his pace to come across brilliantly on several occasions, but Naybet just seemed to get to everything first. He didn't do anything wrong though and it looks like the combination of Ledley's pace and Naybet's experience could provide an excellent partnership. Atouba didn't have enough time to show how good he actually is, and despite whipping in a few good crosses and winning a couple of challenges, he looked clumsy on the ball and probably didn't look like the man we need to take his man on and get to the by-line. Could go either way, but I still see him as someone who should ideally be challenging Edman for the left back spot. I don't think Mendes will be given much of an attacking role either. He just doesn't seem to want it, being more content to sit and spread the passes, so we really need players prepared to get up and down the wings to give us some impetus.
At times, King looked very nervous getting to the ball, with balls that should have been his, he didn't win and conceded possession.

Edman was very solid and I expect him to be first choice most of the season.

Atouba whipped in good crooses, won a few good tackles and looked lively down the wing and wasn;t on for long so looks a good prospect down the left wing.

I epxect he may cover for Edman if he isn't first choice, but when Ziegeler comes, he'll be battling for a midfield role.
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
At times, King looked very nervous getting to the ball, with balls that should have been his, he didn't win and conceded possession.

Edman was very solid and I expect him to be first choice most of the season.

Atouba whipped in good crooses, won a few good tackles and looked lively down the wing and wasn;t on for long so looks a good prospect down the left wing.

I epxect he may cover for Edman if he isn't first choice, but when Ziegeler comes, he'll be battling for a midfield role.
Edman was lucky in that Liverpool have a very weak right side, much like our own. It it were any stronger, from what I've seen of him, he may struggle. I'd be serious worried about him being taken on by Ljungberg, Ronaldo et al. Now I think about it, I do remember King kicking the ball out for a corner when trying to win a goal kick, and also heading the ball straight up in the air when trying to clear it, but nothing major at all. And Ziegler is, as Frank says, "one for the future".
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Edman was lucky in that Liverpool have a very weak right side, much like our own. It it were any stronger, from what I've seen of him, he may struggle. I'd be serious worried about him being taken on by Ljungberg, Ronaldo et al. Now I think about it, I do remember King kicking the ball out for a corner when trying to win a goal kick, and also heading the ball straight up in the air when trying to clear it, but nothing major at all. And Ziegler is, as Frank says, "one for the future".
Edman is a good, solid defender, though I see what you mean about players running at him, but I think he will do a good job for us, and so will Atouba.

Reid would add to that left hand side very nicely!
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Edman is a good, solid defender, though I see what you mean about players running at him, but I think he will do a good job for us, and so will Atouba.

Reid would add to that left hand side very nicely!
Yeah, Reid looks to be the best realistic option now. I wanted Kily or Jankulovski but they just don't seem to be in reach anymore. Chances are we'll end up with someone not even mentioned yet though :rolleyes:. *begins speculating*
goldenbarnes
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Just got in from the Ebglabd U21 game. Not too entertaining, but not boring either. Disappointed with the crowd as well, we usually have a much better atmosphere than that for England. Ah well, at least good ol' Stewie Downing impressed. Not as much as Pennant though, he looked different class.
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Pennant IS different class. ****ing Wenger's ruining him.
Kuz
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Pennant IS different class. ****ing Wenger's ruining him.
And what exactly do you mean by that?
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Kuz)
And what exactly do you mean by that?
I mean that he was an extremely promising player when he first signed for Arsenal with immense potential, but Wenger's reluctance to play him has ruined him.
mc_watson87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I mean that he was an extremely promising player when he first signed for Arsenal with immense potential, but Wenger's reluctance to play him has ruined him.
You would be reluctant to play some youngster when you are trying to win the championship.
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by mc_watson87)
You would be reluctant to play some youngster when you are trying to win the championship.
What, like Clichy, Fabregas and Aliadiere? Oh wait...
mc_watson87
Rep:
?
What, like Clichy, Fabregas and Aliadiere? Oh wait...
It's different times and situation now.

Damn she picked the good lookin guy. I was wrong. Unlucky Adam
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by mc_watson87)
Damn she picked the good lookin guy. I was wrong. Unlucky Adam
goldenbarnes
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I was talking to my girlfriend about Arsenal the other day. She went into fits of laughter when I said 'Jeremie Alliadiere' - apparently it sounds hilarious....
mc_watson87
Rep:
?
(Original post by goldenbarnes)
I was talking to my girlfriend about Arsenal the other day. She went into fits of laughter when I said 'Jeremie Alliadiere' - apparently it sounds hilarious....
I love that name.

...Aliadiere.
Kuz
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
In what did he ruin him. Last season there was no space avaliable for Pennent, but instead of letting him rot with lack of first team football. He loaned him to another premiership side in order to get the first team football he required to nurture his obvious sparkling potential superstar talent!
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Kuz)
In what did he ruin him. Last season there was no space avaliable for Pennent, but instead of letting him rot with lack of first team football. He loaned him to another premiership side in order to get the first team football he required to nurture his obvious sparkling potential superstar talent!
That's actually *******s. There's plenty of room for him, and when either Pires or Ljungberg gets injured, he should be first choice to play on the right wing. If Man U had signed him back when he was 14, he'd be an established England international by now. Wenger has come close to ruining his career.
Kuz
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
That's actually *******s. There's plenty of room for him, and when either Pires or Ljungberg gets injured, he should be first choice to play on the right wing. If Man U had signed him back when he was 14, he'd be an established England international by now. Wenger has come close to ruining his career.
his still young, he still has a lot to learn....sorry i'd admitt that if i had balls i'd say you'd have me by 'em
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (115)
19.39%
Labour (301)
50.76%
Liberal Democrats (77)
12.98%
Green Party (30)
5.06%
Brexit Party (7)
1.18%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.51%
SNP (13)
2.19%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.51%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
1.01%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (3)