NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by mc_watson87)
We could bet a ukl subscription on it.

Up for it, punk!?! :cool:
I'm tired, I didn't know what you meant by wager. I replied saying no because I know who you support
mc_watson87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by theaman)
This would be my team:

Robinson
G Neville
King
Terry
Bridge
Wright-Phillips
Beckham
Lampard
Gerrard
Defoe
Owen
How about Defoe and Smith upfront, leave Owen out all together? That would be mine. :cool:
Otherwise mine would be pretty much the same.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
And Joe Cole on the bench?
theaman
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
How about Defoe and Smith.
That would be mine.
Could do, but then Owen is more experienced, so he should play, and he looked good in the Ukraine friendly.
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
And Joe Cole on the bench?
If Wright-Phillips isn't fit enough, then all the midfielders will shift towards the right, meaning he will fit in on the left hand side of midfield.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
If Wright-Phillips isn't fit enough, then all the midfielders will shift towards the right, meaning he will fit in on the left hand side of midfield.
Seems good enough. Shame he doesn't get to play mor regularly, both at club and country level IMO.
goldenbarnes
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I would also go for Defoe.

But it's going to be Smith.
I would never dream of playing Owen and Defoe together, it would probably be the worst partnership in history - small, lightweight, noone to hold the ball up, no midfielders scoring, no aerial threat. Owen and Smith - pace, power, presence, aerial ability, strength to hold the ball up, midfielders scoring, one dropping off one going on the shoulder etc etc

Defoe is better than Smith, but a Smith/Owen combo is much better than an Owen/Defoe combo.

P.S. Get Beattie in there. Vassell my arse.
m:)ckel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by goldenbarnes)
I would never dream of playing Owen and Defoe together, it would probably be the worst partnership in history - small, lightweight, noone to hold the ball up, no midfielders scoring, no aerial threat. Owen and Smith - pace, power, presence, aerial ability, strength to hold the ball up, midfielders scoring, one dropping off one going on the shoulder etc etc

Defoe is better than Smith, but a Smith/Owen combo is much better than an Owen/Defoe combo.

what about smith and defoe?
goldenbarnes
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by mockel)
what about smith and defoe?
Give it two years. Or maybe in a friendly, but I wouldn't start with two internationally inexperienced strikers together in a world cup qualifier, regardless of the opposition.
hihihihi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Owen -Smith would probably work better than Owen- Defoe, but Defoe is (playing) better than Smith so I'd go for the latter combination.

Diamond midfiend or straight forward 4-4-2?
goldenbarnes
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by hihihihi)
Owen -Smith would probably work better than Owen- Defoe, but Defoe is (playing) better than Smith so I'd go for the latter combination.

Diamond midfiend or straight forward 4-4-2?
It would depend on the strikers. If Smith was palying, a 4-4-2 would suit them best, and give the team more shape, however, if it was Owen and Defoe, a lotof the play would have to go through the middle, so you'd have to condense the midfield (another reason why it should be Alan Smith instead of Defoe).
Onearmedbandit
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Defoe is playing better than Smith?? What makes you say that? :confused:
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by goldenbarnes)

In both of the games Defoe and Owen have played together against Sweden and the 2nd half against the Ukraine, Defoe has played very well and looked very sharp.

Smith doesn't offer the pace that Defoe gives, and when he has played for England, he plays as an out and out striker, which is usually the role that Owen fills.

With Defoe, he likes to run at players, and his link-up play with Owen has been very good when they have played together.

When Beattie played for England, he played okay, but didn't play as well as most people would have hoped, particularly Sven, who therefore, didn't recall him for the games that followed that match.

Vassell has always been consistently good for England when he has comes on a substitute, and is a good squad player to have. Though when Rooney is fit, he may become the fifth choice striker.
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
This would be my team:

Robinson
G Neville
King
Terry
Bridge
Wright-Phillips
Beckham
Lampard
Gerrard
Defoe
Owen
Why not Ashley Cole? And Wright-Philips will probably not be fit for the game.
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
Why not Ashley Cole? And Wright-Philips will probably not be fit for the game.
Well, Joe Cole would take Wright-Phillps' place.

And I've always preferred Bridge to Cole, as Bridge seems to be the better all-round player, and Cole hasn't has the best of starts this season.
goldenbarnes
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Smith doesn't offer the pace that Defoe gives, and when he has played for England, he plays as an out and out striker, which is usually the role that Owen fills.
Smith's comparitive lack of pace means nothing when he's playing alongside Owen, there's enough pace there for the whole front line, and if there's noone to hold the ball up then the pacey players will always get balls hit long and high rather than low and to feet, plus, the midfield wouldn't get as many goals as their runs would be worthless if the ball doesn't stick up front.

How long did Beattie get? 45 minutes?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (43)
33.08%
No I don't (61)
46.92%
I work during the holidays (26)
20%

Watched Threads