The Ultimate Football Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
theaman
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Makavelli_07)
I've noticed lately Spurs seem as if they've realised they have the potential to become a big club and are'nt scared of splashing the cash any more. I wonder how much they're willing to pump in for transfers.
We tend not to spend a lot on players, but we seem to buy a lot of them, so thats why this bid for the Forest pair is quite surprising, though they do have a lot of quality potential, which is usually in our transfer policy.
Makavelli_07
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Like going to Old Trafford and getting a win etc?

Would like to have seen Rodney Marsh's reaction to this, since he's so vehemontly opposed to Chelsea winning at Old Trafford, even though historically they do well. Not sure if they are the best away team at Old Trafford though. I know that Arsenal can't seem to do the same for some reason.
The most succesful team at Old Trafford in the Premiership, other then United, are Middlesborough. Chelsea probably aren't far behind, though.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The amount of clubs who emphasise that they are a buying club, not a selling club recently is quite remarkable. So if we are all like this, there can be no transfer window, because nobody would sell.
goldenbarnes
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The most succesful team at Old Trafford in the Premiership, other then United, are Middlesborough. Chelsea probably aren't far behind, though.
Damn right. You can drop that extra 'o' though.

Arsenal trying to tempt De Martino away from Roma......
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The amount of clubs who emphasise that they are a buying club, not a selling club recently is quite remarkable. So if we are all like this, there can be no transfer window, because nobody would sell.
Money still talks - clubs will still sell players at the right price.
Makavelli_07
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by theaman)
We tend not to spend a lot on players, but we seem to buy a lot of them, so thats why this bid for the Forest pair is quite surprising, though they do have a lot of quality potential, which is usually in our transfer policy.
I view these signings as similar ones to the Michael Brown signing. He was a quality player in Division 1, with the potential to do well in the Premiership. Those 2 are the same.

Although Brown hasn't stood out, i think he's done a fairly decent job and was worth the money. I think these 2 will be the same.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yes. It's just when people say it on the TV like a 'flying comment' it's annoying because it doesn't really provide any figures of other teams.

BTW Eidur is not Chelsea's leading goal scorer, it's Drogba, only be one goal ahead of Eidur though. Then it goes Robben, Duff, Lampard I think.
Makavelli_07
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by goldenbarnes)
Damn right. You can drop that extra 'o' though.

Arsenal trying to tempt De Martino away from Roma......
Hmm.. English isn't really my strong point.

Another bright young prospect ruined by sitting in the Arsenal reserves....
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I view these signings as similar ones to the Michael Brown signing. He was a quality player in Division 1, with the potential to do well in the Premiership. Those 2 are the same.

Although Brown hasn't stood out, i think he's done a fairly decent job and was worth the money. I think these 2 will be the same.
Yes, but it only looks like he is only a squad player at the moment. Reid is a current international, who has excelled for ROI and Dawson is touted as a future England international.

So, the signings might be in the same mould, but these two have slightly more quality.
Makavelli_07
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yes. It's just when people say it on the TV like a 'flying comment' it's annoying because it doesn't really provide any figures of other teams.

BTW Eidur is not Chelsea's leading goal scorer, it's Drogba, only be one goal ahead of Eidur though. Then it goes Robben, Duff, Lampard I think.
I have no idea who there top scorers are, although i'm suprised Lampard is behind Duff and Robben.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Money still talks - clubs will still sell players at the right price.
As a Spurs fan do you feel that Defoe could go to Chelsea if they offered a rather inflated offer? Although I think this is becoming unlikely on grounds of their huge loss and Peter Kenyon's comments. It seems that all the players bought now are the quick fix for the time being and then keep hold of them and mould further into a great team.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I have no idea who there top scorers are, although i'm suprised Lampard is behind Duff and Robben.
I was just following from our talks some time ago. Be interesting to see how many they all end up with at the end of the season. I guess Lampard hasn't played as much in terms of time spent on the pitch.
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
As a Spurs fan do you feel that Defoe could go to Chelsea if they offered a rather inflated offer? Although I think this is becoming unlikely on grounds of their huge loss and Peter Kenyon's comments. It seems that all the players bought now are the quick fix for the time being and then keep hold of them and mould further into a great team.
Defoe is a major part of our plans and Jol and Arnesen won't want to sell him, but if they did we would probably only consider offers of £25 million +, but even then, a bid of that amount may still be rejected.
Makavelli_07
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I was just following from our talks some time ago. Be interesting to see how many they all end up with at the end of the season. I guess Lampard hasn't played as much in terms of time spent on the pitch.
On another note, who do believe Chelsea's best player has been this season? Everyone goes on about Robben, but i think Chelsea's 2 best important players have been Terry and Lampard. What's best of all, they're both English.
Makavelli_07
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Defoe is a major part of our plans and Jol and Arnesen won't want to sell him, but if they did we would probably only consider offers of £25 million +, but even then, a bid of that amount may still be rejected.
I Can't see Defoe going at all. He's too important to them, and i don't think Chelsea will stump up the £25m needed to prize him away.

Also...

Tottenham Hotspur

In: Emil Hallfredsson (FH Hafnarfjordur, undisclosed), David Limbersky (Viktoria Plzen, loan), Teemu Tainio (Auxerre, free in July, signed pre-contract agreement), Mido (Roma, loan), Mounir El Hamdaoui (Excelsior Rotterdam), Radek Cerny (Slavia Prague, undisclosed)

Other then Mido, do you know who any of these are? Be interesting to see if any of them feature and turn out to be smart signings.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
On another note, who do believe Chelsea's best player has been this season? Everyone goes on about Robben, but i think Chelsea's 2 best important players have been Terry and Lampard. What's best of all, they're both English.
I'd say Terry has the slight edge over Lampard. It's annoying that he can't get to play every England game. Robben is great, and has certainly influenced the side, but I guess he's number 3.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
True. Although I don't think that Chelsea will bother making an offer for him. Apparently they made an offer during the summer last year or something. If they wanted another striker I'd guess they'd go for names like Adriano and Shevchenko, despite Peter Kenyon having some emphasis on English players recently (e.g. the former Leeds keeper who now plays for Liverpool).
Makavelli_07
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'd say Terry has the slight edge over Lampard. It's annoying that he can't get to play every England game. Robben is great, and has certainly influenced the side, but I guess he's number 3.
Have to agree with your order. Although i can't pick between Terry and Lampard in terms of performance, both have been top class, Terry edges it because of his leadership and organisational abilities. Plus he scores alot of goals, which isn't reallty his job. I think he might just edge ahead of Campbell in the England starting 11 real soon, should he carry on the way he is.

True. Although I don't think that Chelsea will bother making an offer for him. Apparently they made an offer during the summer last year or something. If they wanted another striker I'd guess they'd go for names like Adriano and Shevchenko, despite Peter Kenyon having some emphasis on English players recently (e.g. the former Leeds keeper who now plays for Liverpool).
Scott Carson. Quality keeper, even though he's only played 3 times. One for the future, me thinks. It's also good to see that Kenyon feels it's important to bring in English players.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Have to agree with your order. Although i can't pick between Terry and Lampard in terms of performance, both have been top class, Terry edges it because of his leadership and organisational abilities. Plus he scores alot of goals, which isn't reallty his job. I think he might just edge ahead of Campbell in the England starting 11 real soon, should he carry on the way he is.
Whilst we have Sven it looks like it's always going to be Campbell and Rio. Terry can provide that header from a set peice that can make the difference between winning and losing, that can be so vital in cup competitions.

Scott Carson. Quality keeper, even though he's only played 3 times. One for the future, me thinks. It's also good to see that Kenyon feels it's important to bring in English players.
Yes. I was glad to hear his comments but buying Carson might have tempted to oust Cudicini out, which I did not want. If Cudicini was older and soon retiring it might have been a possibility. Hopefully Peter Kenyon and Steve Clarke can influence Mourinho and Abramovich in terms of looking for English talen first, although I'm sure Abramovich will do the same.
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Rumour has it that as soon as Spurs confirm the signing of Dawson and Reid then Everton will confirm the signing of Simon Davies..
of course, it's only rumours
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (204)
49.51%
No (48)
11.65%
I'm not old enough (160)
38.83%

Watched Threads