The Ultimate Football Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
People say that but I remain unconvinced. We're not quite a one man band as people have asked/suggested but he does play such a vital role. How about a third winger to recruit? Figo? Can't see Downing being sold.
Wright-Phillips?
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
Wright-Phillips?
Can't see him being sold.
Makavelli_07
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Wright-Phillips and Downing won't be sold for a while, i think. It'd also be best for both of them to stay where they are, i think, and carry on progressing as players with garantueed first team football.

Figo is very over rated, i wouldn't want him at my club.

I'd agree that robben is very frail. Sure he attracts tackles like that with his style of football, but so do others such as Ronaldo. They just seem to be able to take the tackle, where as with Robben i feel he will get injured easy.

I don't think he will make the return leg with Barca, and if he does it will be becuase they've rushed him. They don't look the same without him, either. They tried playing Gudjohnson in that role against Man City and he looked terrible. If i were Chelsea i'd return to a straigh 4-4-2 until he returns. Would make more sense.
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Jamie Carragher and Andy Johnson to start tonight I know it's old news but I'm happy about it!
Makavelli_07
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
Jamie Carragher and Andy Johnson to start tonight I know it's old news but I'm happy about it!
AJ is starting? Get in! Lol, he deserves a chance. I hope he does well.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
What game's on tonight? :eek:
Makavelli_07
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
What game's on tonight? :eek:
LOL! I never noticed that mistake.

The England and Irish Under 21's are on Sky, i believe.

I think he meant tomorrow.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Makavelli_07)
AJ is starting? Get in! Lol, he deserves a chance. I hope he does well.
I agree.
Makavelli_07
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I agree.
I just read on the Premier League website that Shaun Wright Phillips is likely to start on the right side of a 3 man strikeforce, alongside Rooney and Owen.

Looks like Johnson might not get a start. If he doesn't get at least 45 minutes then it's a real shame. Same with Downing.

My team would be

GK: Robinson - Robinson and James are both experienced, so no need to rest your better keeper.

RB: Gary Neville - Although it would be nice to give someone like Glen Johnson a chance i feel you need some experience in the back four what with the main centre backs out.

CB: Carragher.
CB: Brown - Pretty self explanitory, there about all we have left. I wonder who is going to be cover for them?

LB: Cole - Bridge has pulled out, so it's got to be him.

RM: Wright-Phillips - He is a better Right Sided midfielder then anyone else, including Beckham. Like Downing has a long England career ahead, and should start it now.

CM: Gerrard - The best English central midfielder. He picks himself.
CM: Lampard - Should be in there ahead of Beckham. He is a better all round player then beckham is, i think, and is in better form. I would play these two as there are two inexperienced wide men.

LM: Downing - Should be given a chance to show what he can do. Realistically he's going to be the Left sided midfielder for England for many years to come so he's going to have to start somewhere, why not here.

ST: Defoe - Is in good form, and is a very good talent. Unfortunate that we have two very good strikers ahead of him, but as seen as it's a friendly should be given the task of leading the line.
ST: Johnson - Deserves his chance purely on form. Is the top goalscoring Englishman in the Premiership, and his all round game looks good. We'll see whether he can cut it or not.

That's the XI i'd start with. It's a friendly, so make the most of it and give some players some experience.

What the rest of you think?
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If i were Chelsea i'd return to a straigh 4-4-2 until he returns. Would make more sense.
I agree. Don't know why Gudjohnson wasn't at his best then. No idea how old iheis but I wonder if it will be soon to replace him.
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
AJ is starting?
No, he's not.
Makavelli_07
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I agree. Don't know why Gudjohnson wasn't at his best then. No idea how old iheis but I wonder if it will be soon to replace him.
I think it was more a case of him being played out of position.

The majority of the season they have been playing Duff and Robben as wingers behind the lone striker. This is usually where Gudjohnson plays.

As Robben was out they decided to play Gudjohnson in Robben's role, and Kezman up top.

Gudjohnson isn't a winger. He is a good target man, and a very clever player, so the lone strike role suits him. He doesn't have the pace and the ability to go past defenders that Robben and Duff have, so this doesn't suit him.

If i were Chelsea i would go with a midfield 4 - Duff, Lampard, Makelele, Geremi/Cole/Tiago - and then Gudjohnson and Kezman(Drogba when fit) up top. When Robben returns they can always go back to the 4-3-2-1 formation.
Jump
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
What the rest of you think?
I agree, except that probably start with Rooney rather than Johnson but bring Johnson on at half time for either Defoe or Rooney (depends what system, is being played as Rooney can operate on either side of a front 3)
Makavelli_07
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Zapsta)
No, he's not.
Looks like Johnson might not get a start. If he doesn't get at least 45 minutes then it's a real shame. Same with Downing.
:p:
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
:p:
It wasn't directed at you, just... the people
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If i were Chelsea i would go with a midfield 4 - Duff, Lampard, Makelele, Geremi/Cole/Tiago - and then Gudjohnson and Kezman(Drogba when fit) up top. When Robben returns they can always go back to the 4-3-2-1 formation.
I agree.

Also from those you listed for England, who else is there to pick besides Owen and Rooney?
Makavelli_07
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I agree.

Also from those you listed for England, who else is there to pick besides Owen and Rooney?
The squad consists of:

James
Robinson
Green

G Neville
P Neville
A Cole
J Carragher

G Johnson
W Brown

D Beckham
S Gerrard
S Wright-Phillips
F Lampard

J Cole
O Hargreaves
J Jenas
S Downing
K Dyer

W Rooney
M Owen
J Defoe
A Johnson

The players that i think should start are in bold, so those i didn't mention are in normal.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'd agree with your choice. But is there a substitution limit, either for the game, or to bring with you, for friendlies? Sorry, haven't seen a friendly for ages, and they do change rules...
Makavelli_07
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The limit has now been reduced to six substitutions per match in friendlies.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The limit has now been reduced to six substitutions per match in friendlies.
Who would you have for the substitutes then? Would you make a 'refreshing substitution' so that more players get a chance to play but are not changed because of tactics or injury alone?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (115)
19.46%
Labour (299)
50.59%
Liberal Democrats (77)
13.03%
Green Party (30)
5.08%
Brexit Party (7)
1.18%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.51%
SNP (13)
2.2%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.51%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
1.02%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (3)