The Ultimate Football Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
goldenbarnes
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Now Malcolm Christie's out for the rest of the season.

Our current list of unavailable players

Ehiogu
Riggott
Cooper
McMahon
Mendieta
Boateng
Zenden
Downing

Nemeth
Hasselbaink
Viduka

Christie

****tin' hell. That's 3 of our best 4 defenders out, as well as 2 replacements for them. 4 of our best midfielders out. And 4 strikers out.
goldenbarnes
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Yossarian)
The team is full of rejects from other clubs e.g. Reiziger, Hasselbaink, Parlour, (and to lesser extent) Ehiogu and Southgate. Yes, they are rejects from big clubs and are decent players but none are brilliant or special players. Personally I rate Quedrue and I do like Viduka (a bit). Downing is not the second coming - whatever any clown might say. He is decent and left footed. *bingo*
Ehiogu and Southgate weren't rejects and they weren't from bigger clubs - they both came here to advance their careers and they cost £14M - hardly what you pay for rejects.

Reiziger - got La Liga's defender of the year award last season. Came for regular football. Yes, he's past his best, but a 'reject' from one of the best clubs in the world is good enough for me. As far as McClaren is concerned, that's shrewd business - we have the player who Lineker and Hansen called the most promising right back in the country (McMahon) and he has been blooded in while Reiziger, with his experience, is doing a great job himself. Plus the fact he was free - great stuff. Could McClaren have got anyone better in his position for free?

Parlour - admittedly, I'm still unconvinced, but he was free, and he took a wage cut 75% to be here. Jury's out, but again, as far as McClaren is oncerned, he was free, he gives 100% every game and he's a shining example to the youngsters. Could McClaren have got anyone better in his position for free?

Hasselbaink - free. Premiership's fourth highest scorer so far this season. If Viduka hadn't got injured for 4 months then I'd honestly think Jimmy would be top scorer, or at least second behind Henry. I don't think you can do better business than a proven, Premiership class striker that gets 15-20 goals a season for free. Could McClaren have got anyone better in his position for free?

Sort of agree about Downing mind, but he is slightly better than just 'decent'. Queudrue is imo, the most underrated player in the Prem (it used to be Gravesen).
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Also, has Maclaren really done enough to justify being proposed as next England manager?
Has Sven done enough to continue being England manager?
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
They don't have to be English
No but I think it might help.
durhamlad1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I was just thinking what you thought about McClaren's tactics, my mate who lives in 'boro seems to always complain he plays boring defensive football, which lets face it none of us like week in week out. An example of this was when you were beaten by Man U hes said McClaren played with such depth it made it hard for you to get a chance, whcih i could see cos your only a small club and you should go all guns blazing! (im a mackem)
goldenbarnes
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by durhamlad1)
I was just thinking what you thought about McClaren's tactics, my mate who lives in 'boro seems to always complain he plays boring defensive football, which lets face it none of us like week in week out. An example of this was when you were beaten by Man U hes said McClaren played with such depth it made it hard for you to get a chance, whcih i could see cos your only a small club and you should go all guns blazing! (im a mackem)
The example you gave was right. We went to defend against Man Utd and that often doesn't work when you have a full strength team and we had about 59 injuries - we should have went to attack.

That said, generally McClaren is spot on tactically. He can turn a game around at half time and I think tactically he's sound; sometimes he's a bit naive and does get it wrong now and again but that always increases with experience, and bearing in mind this is his first job....

And I'd say this season we've played some of the best football I've ever seen at the club, it's just a shame we've had the likes of Mendieta, Viduka, and Boateng injured (Viduka's absence makes us play 1D predictable football and Boateng's absence means more defensive duties for Zenden - all decreasing creativity).

But generally I think McClaren's tactics are spot on, especially considering he's only been a manager for 4 seasons.
Makavelli_07
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by goldenbarnes)
The example you gave was right. We went to defend against Man Utd and that often doesn't work when you have a full strength team and we had about 59 injuries - we should have went to attack.

That said, generally McClaren is spot on tactically. He can turn a game around at half time and I think tactically he's sound; sometimes he's a bit naive and does get it wrong now and again but that always increases with experience, and bearing in mind this is his first job....

And I'd say this season we've played some of the best football I've ever seen at the club, it's just a shame we've had the likes of Mendieta, Viduka, and Boateng injured (Viduka's absence makes us play 1D predictable football and Boateng's absence means more defensive duties for Zenden - all decreasing creativity).

But generally I think McClaren's tactics are spot on, especially considering he's only been a manager for 4 seasons.
I think your spot on with your opinion of him.

I think the players he's bought in are of a real top quality, and like you said the majority have been either free, or for a small fee. I think he's done a great job, and if he stays there another couple of years i think you will consolidate yourself as a top 4 team.

Would you like to see him take over as England manager? Do you think he'd do a good job?
goldenbarnes
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Makavelli_07)
Would you like to see him take over as England manager? Do you think he'd do a good job?
Eventually I think the England job is made for him. If Sven went tomorrow though, i think it would be too soon. 4 years managerial experience is not warranting of the England job, no matter how desperate we are as a country.

However, I think Sven will leave after WC2006 and I would love it if O'Neill got the job, but as that is highly unlikely, I think the only other candidates would be McClaren or a foreigner. I think the FA would be reluctant to appoint another foreigner and would want to appease the fans by appointing an Englishman. (this is all if remember) Then I think there would be some sort of press bandwagon calling for McClaren to be given the job (especially with his links to England with coaching etc), much similar to the one to get Downing into the squad, the same one that has had him massively over-hyped. If that were the case I think Smac (boro shorthand for McClaren) would be offered the job and he would take it, and Gibson wouldn't stand in his way. Even though he still wouldn't be deserving of it (if that makes sense).

Definitely one day though.
Makavelli_07
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Are we going to do predictions for this weekends games?

FA Cup:

Saturday:
Fulham Vs. Derby
Hartlepool Utd Vs. Brentford
Tottenham Hotspur Vs. West Bromwich Albion

Sunday
Sheffield United Vs. West Ham United

Premiership

Saturday
Everton Vs Chelsea

Birmingham Vs. Liverpool

Blackburn Rovers Vs. Norwich City

Portsmouth Vs. Aston Villa

Bolton WanderersVs. Middlesbrough

Sunday:
Manchester City Vs. Manchester United

Monday:
Arsenal Vs. Crystal Palace
idiopathic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
GUYS LET'S START A NEW THREAD JUST FOR weekly PREDICTIONS?
Makavelli_07
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by lame)
GUYS LET'S START A NEW THREAD JUST FOR weekly PREDICTIONS?
Okay. I'll do it now.

Maybe if someone comes in here with mod powers they could sticky it and we could use it every week.
idiopathic
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Makavelli_07)
Okay. I'll do it now.

Maybe if someone comes in here with mod powers they could sticky it and we could use it every week.
yep - i was just thinking ... every week on the first post (which would be your post) you can edit it to give the new fixture list for that week(end) ?

and maybe even have a league table of our own? or is that going abit too far :p:
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm sure some of you have read this today!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...al/4250173.stm
idiopathic
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
I'm sure some of you have read this today!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...al/4250173.stm
yeh that's pretty funny, Wenger prob giv him the boot?
Makavelli_07
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by lame)
yep - i was just thinking ... every week on the first post (which would be your post) you can edit it to give the new fixture list for that week(end) ?

and maybe even have a league table of our own? or is that going abit too far :p:
Sounds good. I could total how many points everyone gets each week. It would be fairly easy.
Jump
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
if Reyes did leave I doubt they could get much more than £10m for him, plus with Dennis 'dirty cheat' Bergkamp close to the end things aren't looking good for the gooners
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jumpunderaboat)
if Reyes did leave I doubt they could get much more than £10m for him, plus with Dennis 'dirty cheat' Bergkamp close to the end things aren't looking good for the gooners
Both excellent players. Bergkamp is an absolute legend, no two ways about it - he's been awesome and still cuts it.
Reyes, in my opinion, will become a world class striker
Lil' Miss Smiley
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Evertons pitch is very bad today. I think both them and Chelsea will pick up a few injuries.
Lil' Miss Smiley
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
James Beattie deserved to be sent of for that headbut. No need at all. He needs to take control of himself.
goldenbarnes
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Quality - come on Chelsea
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (108)
33.33%
No I don't (153)
47.22%
I work during the holidays (63)
19.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed