This discussion is closed.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jumpunderaboat)
got any figures?
Not yet, it was mentioned on the BBC website when they were discussing possible transfers. If I come across it, will post them.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No English players please, we're L'Arsenal - http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/news...39_L15715236:1
Makavelli_07
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
No English players please, we're L'Arsenal - http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/news...39_L15715236:1
I'm not suprised at all. They have very few English players in there squad, this was bound to happen sooner or later.

I think that something has to be done soon though to adress the problem, or else we're going to end up with a continually weaker national team.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Makavelli_07)
I think that something has to be done soon though to adress the problem, or else we're going to end up with a continually weaker national team.
And Real Madrid buying English talent does not help either. Unfortunately you can't limit stop this but I'm sure there are measures that can be used to 'bend' rules rather than break them.

Having said that, how many players in the Irish team play in the Irish league? Quite a few of their big guns play in England.

Ages ago I wondered if this had anything to do with Spain in the world cup.
Makavelli_07
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't think the English players going abroad will be a bad thing.

The main problem is that when teams bring in foreigners they often take up squad places that would have otherwise gone to young English players. So the more foreigners that come in, the less English players that are given a chance.

This can only be bad for the national teams future.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You need a decent amount. Foreign players are welcomed but when it harms your country in terms of European and world level then we need something addressed here. What does FIFA, UEFA and the FA do with its time? We should be on there :cool:
EPD
Badges: 11
Report 14 years ago
Woo! Boston 0-2 Lincoln. Back of the net :cool:
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm not so sure on Owen going to Chelsea due to the 4-3-3 formation.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm not so sure on Owen going to Chelsea due to the 4-3-3 formation.
We can play 4-4-2 as well though. I think that Owen can play in a 4-3-3 formation, although this is pretty much untested.

p.s. you're gaining post count quickly!
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
We can play 4-4-2 as well though. I think that Owen can play in a 4-3-3 formation, although this is pretty much untested.
He is pretty much untested here. The only time I remember seeing him play in that formation was England v Holland and we don't wish to remember that :rolleyes:

(Original post by TheWolf)
p.s. you're gaining post count quickly!
Posts recently contributed in the Debate and Discussion section mainly.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
United getting desparate? http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...td/4272305.stm

Another statement from Man Utd about Chelsea slipping up. Why being all outspoken about it now?
Makavelli_07
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
United getting desparate? http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...td/4272305.stm

Another statement from Man Utd about Chelsea slipping up. Why being all outspoken about it now?
I think it's partly mind games, partly to keep the fans confident, and also partly because in pretty much interview any United player gives they get asked about the topic.

Also, did anyone see where they refer to him as a 'she'? LOL.

"Chelsea have been very consistent. They've been grinding results out and they're not conceding many goals," she said.
mc_watson87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Also, did anyone see where they refer to him as a 'she'? LOL.
:eek: Hahaha
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think it's partly mind games, partly to keep the fans confident, and also partly because in pretty much interview any United player gives they get asked about the topic.
But last time Alex Ferguson predicted a slip up look what happened, same with Wenger.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Chelsea closing down on Man Utd on the income list http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...td/4272205.stm
goldenbarnes
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I hate (well, not really) to keep harping on about it but look at Middlesbrough's Academy and Steve McClaren's transfer policy. He said when he came here he wanted to buy young English players as a priority and if there wasn't any in positions needed he'd then look for foreigners. Riggott (got to earn a call up soon), Christie, Ricketts (okay so he ended up rubbish but at the time...), etc. That, mixed with blooding the academy players like Downing, Morrison, McMahon, Graham, playing youngsters like Parnaby and Davies and developing the academy at lower levels. That's what every manager should be doing at their club and the benefits for English football as a whole would be immense.

Some managers say it would be detremental to the short term success of the club but look at us - it hasn't done us any harm - our young English players are excelling far beyond expectations. I'm not going to say they're all going to play for England, but in the last 2 years we've had more players than any other club playing for England U16s/17s/18s/19/20s/21s. A decent amount of them should go the whole way. This isn't an All Hail Boro post, but when talking about English players and foreigners ruining the game, I think Steve McClaren is a perfect example of how everyone else should be.
vavavoom86
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Chelsea closing down on Man Utd on the income list http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...td/4272205.stm
i see why that Glazer wants man u so bad now(!)
10 brits team in the top 20!! :eek: why did they get all those money from???
goldenbarnes
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/funn...me/4271463.stm
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by goldenbarnes)
I think Steve McClaren is a perfect example of how everyone else should be.
I agree. Speaking of transfer policies Mourinho said himself that he'd have English players but they are too expensive. I do wonder why he bought Drogba for £24m or so though.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The decision to send him off was a bit of an eye browser IMO.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (6)
66.67%
No (2)
22.22%
I'm not old enough (1)
11.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed