The Ultimate Football Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
veryjammy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Who would have guessed Liverpool would be flying the flag! A bitterly disappointing two days for English football.

I have to admit, Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal were all outplayed which is worrying to be honest. Utd probably should have got a draw but Milan were brilliant, absolutely superb passing and movement. I'm a bit sick of Ferguson's insistence on 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 whichever way u care to look at it. It seems to me that they've done so well recently despite this formation rather than because of it - too often the lone man up front looks isolated. Just go back to 4-4-2! I would have started with Van Nistlerooy instead of Fortune, although going by the nights performance Giggs was very poor.

And what was he doing taking Ronaldo off? Also I don't rate Saha at all, I don't think he fits into the team, I'd choose Smith anyday ahead of him. Rooney keeps being wasted on the right wing. And I didn't understand why Neville was subbed for Silvestre? What's the point in swapping a defender for a defender 10 minutes from time when u need to score? As you can see Ferguson's decisions tonight frustrated me. The best Utd players tonight were Keane as usual, and Heinze in my opinion, I think Heinze has been a fantastic buy for Utd.

So in order of liklihood of progression I guess it goes:

Liverpool
Chelsea
Utd
Arsenal
Makavelli_07
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by veryjammy)
Who would have guessed Liverpool would be flying the flag! A bitterly disappointing two days for English football.

I have to admit, Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal were all outplayed which is worrying to be honest. Utd probably should have got a draw but Milan were brilliant, absolutely superb passing and movement. I'm a bit sick of Ferguson's insistence on 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 whichever way u care to look at it. It seems to me that they've done so well recently despite this formation rather than because of it - too often the lone man up front looks isolated. Just go back to 4-4-2! I would have started with Van Nistlerooy instead of Fortune, although going by the nights performance Giggs was very poor.

And what was he doing taking Ronaldo off? Also I don't rate Saha at all, I don't think he fits into the team, I'd choose Smith anyday ahead of him. Rooney keeps being wasted on the right wing. And I didn't understand why Neville was subbed for Silvestre? What's the point in swapping a defender for a defender 10 minutes from time when u need to score? As you can see Ferguson's decisions tonight frustrated me. The best Utd players tonight were Keane as usual, and Heinze in my opinion, I think Heinze has been a fantastic buy for Utd.

So in order of liklihood of progression I guess it goes:

Liverpool
Chelsea
Utd
Arsenal
Spot on. The managerial decisions by Ferguson tonight were nothing short of pathetic. Although Ronaldo wasn't at his best tonight, he was far from the best option. I would have taken a defender of, or even Giggs ahead of him. The defender for defender one was totally retarded. :eek:

As for Heinze, he has been my player of the season so far, followed closely by Smith. They've both given 110% in every game they've played, and Heinze's performances have been top draw. He was excellent again tonight.

I think United have as good a chance as Chelsea to go through, if not more. Assuming both opposition teams score, which i think they will, then United need 2 goals to go through and Chelsea need 3. They're both going to be close though.
Jump
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Makavelli_07)
I think United have as good a chance as Chelsea to go through, if not more. Assuming both opposition teams score, which i think they will, then United need 2 goals to go through and Chelsea need 3. They're both going to be close though.
I reckon thier chances are more or less equal, Chelsea need will probably need one more goal but will have home advantage which could swing it.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mc_watson87)
According to Rijkaard, he just sed hi to the ref! :confused:
Obviously he had no chance to say hi before the game or it could wait? :rolleyes:
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Chelsea did well with one player extra for Barcelona in the first half, and then two in the second.

Barcelona were: Valdes, Belletti (Gerard 85), Marquez, Puyol, Van Bronckhorst, Xavi, Deco, Albertini (Iniesta 57), Giuly (Maxi Lopez 64), Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Anders Frisk. Subs Not Used: Jorquera, Sylvinho, Fernando, Abella Perez.

If Drogba had capitalise on the second goal....

I'm glad Andy Grey gave the ref a good grilling, next time if Deco dives, the next ref will book him.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Frank Rijkaard)
I am very pleased... My men deserved victory
I'm not so sure you did. The 'cream' of Europe could not beat a slightly weakened Chelsea with 11 men. Chelsea were looking to finish the two legs by half time of the first leg and be the first English team to beat Barcelona at the Nou Camp but it wasn't to be. Oh if Robben had been playing...
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jumpunderaboat)
I reckon thier chances are more or less equal, Chelsea need will probably need one more goal but will have home advantage which could swing it.
The performance by Chelsea was encoaring to see in that they soaked up quite a lot of pressure. If they play as good at home, with injuries recovering more, I think the home advantage could well swing it. If it goes on away goals, then I hope that makes Barcelona gutted. I'd rather beat them without relying on away goals.

I wonder who will referee the Chelsea v Barcelona fixture.
Hazza_CPFC
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I thought Chelsea did very well last night, considering the awful display from Anders Frisk. The defensive unit was holding up perfectly well until Frisk got rid of Drogba - I don't think the second yellow was justified - despite doing his best to ignore the Barca diving. If the game had stayed 11 v 11 I think Chelsea could definitely have taken a draw if not the win.

I didn't see any of the United game, but a 1-0 isn't a bad result. Milan haven't been as strong a defensive unit as they should this season and Utd still have a good chance.

Arsenal are out. Almost definitely. They played poorly with bad tactics from Wenger - as usual in Europe - and it'll take a miracle to get through unless he changes things.

I'm amazed that Liverpool are looking like the best bet for an English side in the last 8. They've been so hit and miss this season though that I wouldn't count on them not screwing it up in Germany.
mc_watson87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by veryjammy)
The best Utd players tonight were Keane as usual, and Heinze in my opinion, I think Heinze has been a fantastic buy for Utd.
Good buy, but I completly disagree about him playing well!
A lot of dodgy passing, positioning was poor and if you look at the goal he was like 5 metres behind the United line... playing Crespo onside! :mad:
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
United were very poor last night, although I did expect an AC Milan win, so it came as no real surprise! Oh, I also expected Barcelona to win, too!
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Hazza_CPFC)
I thought Chelsea did very well last night, considering the awful display from Anders Frisk. The defensive unit was holding up perfectly well until Frisk got rid of Drogba - I don't think the second yellow was justified - despite doing his best to ignore the Barca diving. If the game had stayed 11 v 11 I think Chelsea could definitely have taken a draw if not the win.
They were saying how Chelsea will cope with yet another loss, I think what you said above is one of the things Mourinho could mention. Barcelona could not beat Chelsea 11 v 11 at their own stadium. Bring on Stamford Bridge.

They mentioned that the second booking could have been justified on the grounds of endangering your player, but if that is the case, why wasn't one of theirs booked for scraping his boot against the legs of Drogba when he probably knows he's coping with injuries?
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by afireinside©)
Oh, I also expected Barcelona to win, too!
They could have been out of it if Drogba capitalised. Then Mourinho takes him off after half time to replace him with Gudjohnsen in the second half to allow Drogba to not be exposed to mire injury risks. Would have been nice to see Scott Parker play if he was fit, he tends to break up opoosition's advances well, although if Drogba got sent off I wonder how Parker could cope...
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
They could have been out of it if Drogba capitalised. Then Mourinho takes him off after half time to replace him with Gudjohnsen in the second half to allow Drogba to not be exposed to mire injury risks. Would have been nice to see Scott Parker play if he was fit, he tends to break up opoosition's advances well, although if Drogba got sent off I wonder how Parker could cope...
I didn't see the game - was watching the Man Ure one, but heard that the referee was a bit.. well, poop? I thought Anders Frisk was supposed to be one of the tops refs! I also heard that Drogba was very unlucky for his first yellow card..

Well, you know, it only makes for an outstanding game at the Bridge in 2 weeks time!
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I didn't see the game - was watching the Man Ure one, but heard that the referee was a bit.. well, poop? I thought Anders Frisk was supposed to be one of the tops refs! I also heard that Drogba was very unlucky for his first yellow card..
I'm sure you'll see the important moments of the game on Sky some time or other. I can imagine it will be a talking point on Gillette Soccer Saturday. As for top refs, he's not one of them, it's not because of last night but he has a reputation of being card happy and favouring big teams. Even Andy GRey knew that. He [Andy] doesn't usually criticise referees in the manner like last night to my knowledge! And people think Mike Riley and Urs Meier is bad...

Well, you know, it only makes for an outstanding game at the Bridge in 2 weeks time!
Well, it's going to be tough. A 1-0 victory for Chelsea would see them through but I can't see that scoreline, 2-1 to Chelsea and then it's extra time, 3-2 to Chelsea and they are out.
Kuz
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Makavelli_07)

I think Liverpool will go through, and Arsenal out. I can't see Arsenal keeping a clean sheet, so unless they can score 4 they're gone.
Sad to say but i think I agree with you, I just can't see us keeping a clean sheet...If we can't keep one against palace of all people, what chance do we really have? *being very bitter*
EPD
Badges: 11
Report 14 years ago
Interesting fact - this past week has been the first time *ever* in Mourinho's managerial career where he's lost two games in a row. Quite impressive.
goldenbarnes
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Boro play Graz tonight, which is nice. The game was in doubt because of sooo much snow...it's gonna be bloody freezing as well.

We'll win 2-1.
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by goldenbarnes)
Boro play Graz tonight, which is nice. The game was in doubt because of sooo much snow...it's gonna be bloody freezing as well.

We'll win 2-1.
Is it two legs or what? *has been away for the last week*
If yes, have you already played the first leg?
goldenbarnes
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yes, we drew 2-2, which was nice.
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by goldenbarnes)
Yes, we drew 2-2, which was nice.
Cool, good luck to the Boro!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (17)
45.95%
No (10)
27.03%
I'm not old enough (10)
27.03%

Watched Threads