The Ultimate Football Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
goldenbarnes
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by cindy)
As an extra goal post yeah maybe. IMO nope.
World Cup quarter final with Argentina.

80th minute. 0-0. Both sides look toothless upfront. Rooney's been marked out of the game and Owen can't get hold of the ball. The Argentinain defence is so well drilled that even Downing and Wright Phillips can't get the ball past them/behind them along the floor. They're not leaving any space, and not giving any of our players any time on the ball. We need another option. Who would you like to bring on, to worry them and give them something else to contend with?

a) Darius Vassell
b) Alan Smith
c) Peter Crouch
d) Andy Johnson
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
B or C for me.
goldenbarnes
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
B or C for me.
:dito:
Lil' Miss Smiley
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by goldenbarnes)

80th minute. 0-0. Both sides look toothless upfront. Rooney's been marked out of the game and Owen can't get hold of the ball. The Argentinain defence is so well drilled that even Downing and Wright Phillips can't get the ball past them/behind them along the floor. They're not leaving any space, and not giving any of our players any time on the ball. We need another option. Who would you like to bring on, to worry them and give them something else to contend with?

a) Darius Vassell
b) Alan Smith
c) Peter Crouch
d) Andy Johnson
Johnson. He has a different outlook on goal scoring. He runs at the defence straight thru the middle. He doesn't wait for the wingers. H'es not scared of taking people on.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
But if you had to choose one...? Might be difficult.

I'd rather pick Johnson for the beginning rather than a late sub though. But it all depends on the circumstances.
goldenbarnes
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by cindy)
Johnson. He has a different outlook on goal scoring. He runs at the defence straight thru the middle. He doesn't wait for the wingers. H'es not scared of taking people on.
He's just like Michael Owen just more aggressive. As a sub I don't think he's highly effective because he does little more than what the player who he's replaced has done. A sub is effective when they're completely different to the player they're replacing, like Smith (holding it up, playing it off, turning the shoulder) or Crouch (8 foot aerial target).

Vassell is more or less a carbon copy of Owen just a poorer finisher, and Johnson is Owen with aggression.
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

a) Darius Vassell
b) Alan Smith
c) Peter Crouch
d) Andy Johnson
Sorry did you just leave Defoe out from that list??!
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
He's just like Michael Owen just more aggressive. As a sub I don't think he's highly effective because he does little more than what the player who he's replaced has done. A sub is effective when they're completely different to the player they're replacing, like Smith (holding it up, playing it off, turning the shoulder) or Crouch (8 foot aerial target).
Basically my thoughts when I chose B and C.
goldenbarnes
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by theaman)
Sorry did you just leave Defoe out from that list??!
Not really. Although obviously I did. But I automatically considered the first 3 definites would be Rooney Owen and Defoe, and my argument was who else would you like to have as an option.
Lil' Miss Smiley
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Vassell is more or less a carbon copy of Owen just a poorer finisher, and Johnson is Owen with aggression.
Better someone with a little fight in them than someone who is going to take time, play too tactical and not have a chance of scoring. Johnson does the opposite.
mc_watson87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago

a) Darius Vassell
b) Alan Smith
c) Peter Crouch
d) Andy Johnson
Crouch... he's incredible! ...Tho dunno how he'd cope against world class defence.

Also if Owen, Rooney (and Defoe?) can't break through the defence I think we'd be screwed anyway. =\
chats
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'd bring on Vassel, he scores everytime he comes on!!!

nah, would probably be Smith.
goldenbarnes
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mc_watson87)
Crouch... he's incredible! ...Tho dunno how he'd cope against world class defence.

Also if Owen, Rooney (and Defoe?) can't break through the defence I think we'd be screwed anyway. =\
But Crouch wouldn't have to break through them. Neville or someone would just hoof it up top and he'd get on the end of it. He'd at least cause them trouble. Imagine how many goals Crouch would score if he had Beckham, Downing and Wright-Phillips supplying him instead of David Prutton and Neil McCann?
mc_watson87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
But Crouch wouldn't have to break through them. Neville or someone would just hoof it up top and he'd get on the end of it. He'd at least cause them trouble. Imagine how many goals Crouch would score if he had Beckham, Downing and Wright-Phillips supplying him instead of David Prutton and Neil McCann?
Indeed....*imagines* ... :eek:

How old is he?
idiopathic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
But if you had to choose one...? Might be difficult.

I'd rather pick Johnson for the beginning rather than a late sub though. But it all depends on the circumstances.
England in knockout comp => penalties => AJ!
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Who is the most important player for each Premiership team? Not the best, the important to that team.

Tottenham Hotspur - Carrick
When Mendes plays, he is our most important player, both working back defensively and with his great passes in our attacking play.

I agree with the majority of your list but here is my list of important players:

Arsenal - Vieira
Aston Villa - Solano
Birmingham City - Cunningham
Bolton Wanderers - Davies
Blackburn Rovers - Dickov
Charlton Athletic - Holland
Chelsea - Lampard
Crystal Palace - Johnson
Everton - Cahill
Fulham - Malbranque
Liverpool - Gerrard
Manchester City - S W-Phillips
Manchester United - Ferdinand
Middlesbrough - Boateng
Newcastle United - Shearer
Norwich City - Huckerby
Portsmouth - De Zeeuw
Southampton - Lundekvam
Tottenham Hotspur - Mendes
West Bromwich Albion - Hoult
Lil' Miss Smiley
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by endeavour)
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

How old is he?
About 23 I think, around the same age as Ledley King as they played together for the England Under 21s.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by endeavour)
I agree. A Premiership keeper has yet to save a penalty from him I believe. I know Hislop saved one from him in Division 1 as it was then.
goldenbarnes
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

How old is he?
24 IIRC?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (108)
33.44%
No I don't (152)
47.06%
I work during the holidays (63)
19.5%

Watched Threads