The Ultimate Football Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Zapsta)
Because Bremen consistantly challenge in Europe? Because the French league manages to maintain all the best French talent because its such a storng league? Because Porto has some of the finest talent in the world with a Brazilian reject, a precocious youngster and a South African amongst their best, and their manager hasn't admitted that the quality of their players suggests they shouldn't have got as far as they have in the Champions' League? Oh sorry, the opposite of all those things is true. So what were you arguing again?
And Arsenal are conistent challengers in Europe?

Bremen have dominated the Bundesliga to the same degree as Arsenal has dominated the Premiership?

The French league may not be the strongest but it has produced some excellent teams and Monaco for one have been able to hold on to their good players.

What's wrong with South Africans :confused:

Porto have got a good squad who play as an excellent team.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)

Bremen have dominated the Bundesliga to the same degree as Arsenal has dominated the Premiership?

The French league may not be the strongest but it has produced some excellent teams and Monaco for one have been able to hold on to their good players.

I think it is completely safe to say that judging a team's premiership performance and then using this to judge them on their position in Europe is complete BS. Especially when one ignores their performance(s) in an ultimate competition which pits the best european teams against each other. As I've said many, many times already...
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by bono)
I think it is completely safe to say that judging a team's premiership performance and then using this to judge them on their position in Europe is complete BS. Especially when one ignores their performance(s) in an ultimate competition which pits the best european teams against each other. As I've said many, many times already...
Bremen will be in the CL next season but that doesn't mean they're not a strong team this season.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Bremen will be in the CL next season but that doesn't mean they're not a strong team this season.
There's a difference between saying "they are a strong european team", compared to "they are the best in europe."

Clearly if they win the german league, which as you said was officially judged to be the hardest national league in europe, then they would be a strong team in europe - Indeed, qualification for the champions league is the prime indicator of a team being classed as strong within Europe. It is the competition where these strong teams compete.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
portsmouth 1 - united 0 atm anyone watching the game
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
portsmouth 1 - united 0 atm anyone watching the game
Well done Man U.
houssam_ballout
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
So who do u think will WOn the champions League?
:confused: :eek:
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by houssam_ballout)
So who do u think will WOn the champions League?
:confused: :eek:
Deportivo.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by bono)
Well done Man U.
pompeys gonna win this game as well a few more minutes now
Kuz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Get in there Pompie...that has made my day! Pompie will stay up!
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Kuz)
Get in there Pompie...that has made my day! Pompie will stay up!
yes leeds, leicester wolves going down, well done to pompey
Kuz
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
yes leeds, leicester wolves going down, well done to pompey
They did really well in that game to have the ability to defend their lead against man utd, as a lesser determined team would have definatley conceeded
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Kuz)
They did really well in that game to have the ability to defend their lead against man utd, as a lesser determined team would have definatley conceeded
Pld Pts
17 Portsmouth 32 34
18 Leeds United 34 32
19 Leicester City 33 28
20 Wolves 33 25

there is a massive gap now between leeds and portsmouth considering leeds have played 2 more games than portsmouth!
Kuz
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Pld Pts
17 Portsmouth 32 34
18 Leeds United 34 32
19 Leicester City 33 28
20 Wolves 33 25

there is a massive gap now between leeds and portsmouth considering leeds have played 2 more games than portsmouth!
i know i'm really happy for pompie, because their start to the season was brilliant for a newly promted side, it showed straight away that they were deserving of being in the premiership!
Zapsta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Arsenal haven't been consistent challengers in Europe in the past, but this season they put in performances to suggest that they'd go all the way, and also are more than capable of success in the future. In contrast I cannot even remember Bremen's last appearance in the Champions' League. This season Bremen have done very well domestically, but just checking on their history, last season they finished 6th, the season before 6th again and before that 7th. In one of Europe's slightly weaker leagues (i.e. not one of the top 3 leagues) these are not the sort of performances you'd associate with one of Europe's best. They have also only won the Bundesliga 3 times since 1902. I know that we are talking about the present here and not the past, but a team with that sort of history cannot possibly this year be one of the world's best. I do not know how many times Arsenal have won the Premiership/First Division, but it is definitely more than 3. In addition their record for the same years is (probably) champions this year, by a similar sort of margin to Bremen and having not lost a match all season, second last year, champions the year before and second the year before that, clearly all better positions in a league far stronger than the Bundesliga. The form is beyond comparison.

The Le Championnat is very weak, not really much more to be said on that. The fact that Monaco are in the semi-finals of the Champions' League is nothing short of an enormous shock. The only truly great team to be produced by the league (in recent memory) was the Marseille team of the early 1990's, and since their last French title they have fallen by the wayside, evidence supporting the cleam that great players and teams do not remain in France.

To put South African players in perspective, current African Player of the Year, Mbulelo Mabizela, is South African and unable to get into the Tottenham team. Tottenham are on the verge of a relegation battle this season. In conclusion, even the best South African players are not that good when compared to players from the great footballing nations.

Finally I did say the Porto play very well as a team, mainly due to excellent management, but in my opinion, to be considered a truly great team you also to have those fantastic individuals, which Porto do not really have.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Pompey !!!!!!!!
makesomenoise
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Spurs have offered Bixente Lizarazu a two-year contract.

Inter Milan are after Patrick Vieira.

And United lost.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Zapsta)
Arsenal haven't been consistent challengers in Europe in the past, but this season they put in performances to suggest that they'd go all the way, and also are more than capable of success in the future. In contrast I cannot even remember Bremen's last appearance in the Champions' League. This season Bremen have done very well domestically, but just checking on their history, last season they finished 6th, the season before 6th again and before that 7th. In one of Europe's slightly weaker leagues (i.e. not one of the top 3 leagues) these are not the sort of performances you'd associate with one of Europe's best. They have also only won the Bundesliga 3 times since 1902. I know that we are talking about the present here and not the past, but a team with that sort of history cannot possibly this year be one of the world's best. I do not know how many times Arsenal have won the Premiership/First Division, but it is definitely more than 3. In addition their record for the same years is (probably) champions this year, by a similar sort of margin to Bremen and having not lost a match all season, second last year, champions the year before and second the year before that, clearly all better positions in a league far stronger than the Bundesliga. The form is beyond comparison.

The Le Championnat is very weak, not really much more to be said on that. The fact that Monaco are in the semi-finals of the Champions' League is nothing short of an enormous shock. The only truly great team to be produced by the league (in recent memory) was the Marseille team of the early 1990's, and since their last French title they have fallen by the wayside, evidence supporting the cleam that great players and teams do not remain in France.

To put South African players in perspective, current African Player of the Year, Mbulelo Mabizela, is South African and unable to get into the Tottenham team. Tottenham are on the verge of a relegation battle this season. In conclusion, even the best South African players are not that good when compared to players from the great footballing nations.

Finally I did say the Porto play very well as a team, mainly due to excellent management, but in my opinion, to be considered a truly great team you also to have those fantastic individuals, which Porto do not really have.

looks like tottenham will lose today :eek: against bolton ..
makesomenoise
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Leicester lost. Wolves won! And City lost, small consolation

Bayern Munich lost!
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by XTinaA)
Leicester lost. Wolves won! And City lost, small consolation

Bayern Munich lost!
im v.surprised wolves is winning 2-0 :eek:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (84)
33.6%
No I don't (118)
47.2%
I work during the holidays (48)
19.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed