The Ultimate Football Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Zapsta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by mc_watson87)
I AM talkin about the current time with the current manager and how they play now! not some mythical fantasy of urs.
Oh dear.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by slim786)
Arsenal have won 2 titles in last 6 years and on course for third and have finished in top two since 1997. This is consistency that makes a great side
uniteds had greater consistency than Arsenal
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by XTinaA)
Thing is, the team that wants to win more usually does :rolleyes:

I'm not for a second labelling Monaco as average. They did pounce on an enemy who wasn't up for the fight. Chelsea couldn't get Lampard involved, credit to Monaco for keeping it out of midfield as I say.
Yeah, I'd agree with that. You put my thoughts into words. Hence good tactics by Deschamps, since I'd assume that this was his logic rather than something the players came up with themselves. However if Chelsea had performed then it would not have worked at Chelsea probably would have won. The task was definitely not beyond them.
slim786
Report 15 years ago
United are regarded a great side better than arsenal in the day as they actually won the european cup
mc_watson87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
For me Monaco will be another Bayer Leverkeusen
Leverkusen are a good team again, they just had a season blip, now they are back!
Kuz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It takes a few years of consistent good results against big teams before a team can be called an amazing/great team.
ok if your going to become a regular poster on this thread you have to understand that we define a good/great/amazing team on the performance they currently attain, not past form...this was heavily debated a while back...and was silently decided by the majority to be true.
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by hattori)
LOL!!! We're not talking about who we would pick on the playground!
Erm... no, we're not, but your all talking like a great team is purely a result of great tactics and managerial ability. It's obviously a combination of both.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Zapsta)
Erm... no, we're not, but your all talking like a great team is purely a result of great tactics and managerial ability. It's obviously a combination of both.
how about the ability of players?
slim786
Report 15 years ago
Chelsea were going to lose after the tactical decisions ranieri made. Replacing Gronkjaer who was playing well with a current flop veron who's only played 35 minutes since november. Then playing hasselbaink as right winger.To top it all off huth centre back as wingback
hattori
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Arsenal have won 2 titles in last 6 years and on course for third and have finished in top two since 1997. This is consistency that makes a great side
Winning things consistently makes a great side. Winning or even doing well in the Champions League makes a great side.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by hattori)
Winning things consistently makes a great side. Winning or even doing well in the Champions League makes a great side.
yes
Kuz
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Thing is, the team that wants to win more usually does :rolleyes:

I'm not for a second labelling Monaco as average. They did pounce on an enemy who wasn't up for the fight. Chelsea couldn't get Lampard involved, credit to Monaco for keeping it out of midfield as I say.
How would you personally know which team want to win more???

Correct if I'm wrong in my belief that in a huge game like tonight ~ a champions league semi final wouldn't both want to win be so great that they would be equal :rolleyes:
makesomenoise
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Zapsta)
Yeah, I'd agree with that. You put my thoughts into words. Hence good tactics by Deschamps, since I'd assume that this was his logic rather than something the players came up with themselves. However if Chelsea had performed then it would not have worked at Chelsea probably would have won. The task was definitely not beyond them.
And Ranieri did too much tinkering for my liking. I saw what he was trying by taking Melchiot off, but Joe Cole should have come on. Feed the two frontmen more, don't give one more mouth to feed!

Parker, was he there in the second half? I don't remember his name in the commentary at all.
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
how about the ability of players?
That was the other half of both. Sorry, not obvious, I'm sleepy.
slim786
Report 15 years ago
No offence but how can a team playing well over a short period of time be called great/amazing.
Kuz
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
uniteds had greater consistency than Arsenal
had! we are not talking about the past, we are talking about the here and now!
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
And Ranieri did too much tinkering for my liking. I saw what he was trying by taking Melchiot off, but Joe Cole should have come on. Feed the two frontmen more, don't give one more mouth to feed!

Parker, was he there in the second half? I don't remember his name in the commentary at all.
Parker was immensely crap. My dad kept telling me how he didn't rate him at all, and I was trying to argue but he left me with nothing
makesomenoise
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Kuz)
How would you personally know which team want to win more???

Correct if I'm wrong in my belief that in a huge game like tonight ~ a champions league semi final wouldn't both want to win be so great that they would be equal :rolleyes:
Because I can see desire and willingness (and lack of) when it's in front of me. Albeit with the aid of spectacles but I can. Chelsea maybe had the thought that 1-1 would be a good result and the second leg was at home, maybe they relaxed. But Monaco sensed weakness in Chelsea's midfield. And they seized on it. Which Chelsea player in the second half looked to you like they wanted to win? Exactly.
slim786
Report 15 years ago
Monaco did have better offensive players which did make a difference. Giuly and Morientes are great players while the rest of the team are average.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Kuz)
had! we are not talking about the past, we are talking about the here and now!
so are we talking about each season now? i thought we agreed on 2 years or something
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (410)
43.66%
No (98)
10.44%
I'm not old enough (431)
45.9%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed