This discussion is closed.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
Vieri looks rugged and masculine.
ok anyways, it doesnt matter how you look what matters is whether you are a good player or not
slim786
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
I don't think u know what your on about saying monaco are a great team. You are ignorant thinking a team who have started playing well recently can be called a great side yet.

Chelsea caused there own downfall after poor tactical decisions. If Chelsea had kept there width then they would of stretched Monaco and would of probably won. Also Desailly was out of position the whole time meaning monaco had the freedom to get near the penalty area more easily.
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by slim786)
I don't think u know what your on about saying monaco are a great team. You are ignorant thinking a team who have started playing well recently can be called a great side yet.

Chelsea caused there own downfall after poor tactical decisions. If Chelsea had kept there width then they would of stretched Monaco and would of probably won. Also Desailly was out of position the whole time meaning monaco had the freedom to get near the penalty area more easily.
It depends what you call a 'great' team - they may not have secured a place in history yet but does that mean that they are not 'great' in the sense that they are bloody good at the moment.
slim786
Report 15 years ago
They'll probably be in the CL next season so you can tell us how crap they are then.
When did I say Monaco were crap I just said they aren't a great team like Real Madrid or AC Milan. Also its likely they'll be in CL next year as French League is one of weakest in Europe.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
When did I say Monaco were crap I just said they aren't a great team like Real Madrid or AC Milan. Also its likely they'll be in CL next year as French League is one of weakest in Europe.
Not in Europe - how foolish - it is ranked fifth by UEFA - only one place behind the Premiership!
slim786
Report 15 years ago
Monaco are only 'great' at the moment as giuly, morientes and rothen are playing to the best of there ability. The rest of the team are average/good and these key players won't play this well for a sustained period of time.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Monaco are only 'great' at the moment as giuly, morientes and rothen are playing to the best of there ability. The rest of the team are average/good and these key players won't play this well for a sustained period of time.
That's not true - just because you haven't heard of them doesn't mean they aren't good.
slim786
Report 15 years ago
Not in Europe - how foolish - it is ranked fifth by UEFA - only one place behind the Premiership!
Rankings are not always a true reflection. How many french clubs on average get to last 16 of champions league? Hardly any and this is where the true comparison can be made.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Rankings are not always a true reflection. How many french clubs on average get to last 16 of champions league? Hardly any and this is where the true comparison can be made.
maybe french clubs will rise from this moment on?
LH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The same can be said for English clubs - they are hardly dominant in the CL.
slim786
Report 15 years ago
That's not true - just because you haven't heard of them doesn't mean they aren't good.
Once again when did I say they were poor. I'm just saying a few great players can make a good team. An even more extreme case of this was when maradona made argentina an average side then win a world cup thanks to his ability.
slim786
Report 15 years ago
The same can be said for English clubs - they are hardly dominant in the CL.
Arsenal and Man U regularly get to last 16. I don't see any French clubs doing that.
slim786
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
maybe french clubs will rise from this moment on?
I doubt it as even top French players leave France as the league is not strong enough.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Once again when did I say they were poor. I'm just saying a few great players can make a good team. An even more extreme case of this was when maradona made argentina an average side then win a world cup thanks to his ability.
When did I say that you said that they were poor?

You quite clearly implied that they were not of a CL standard here:

And I responded that you may not have heard of them (yet), but that doesn't mean that they are not of a similar standard to Guily or Morientes, the two players generally picked out (at least by you) as the 'stars'.
slim786
Report 15 years ago
I said the rest of the team are average/good and the key players make them good.
slim786
Report 15 years ago
I pick out these players as key players because they have played well against Chelsea, Deportivo and Real Madrid at a much higher level than French league while other players have looked average/good.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Arsenal and Man U regularly get to last 16. I don't see any French clubs doing that.
Ahem:

1992 - Marseille (winners)
1993/94 - Monaco (semi finalists)
1994/5 - PSG (semi-finalists)
1995/6 - Nantes (semi-finalists)
1996/7 - Auxerre (quarter finalists)
1997/8 - Monaco (semi finalists)
2003/04 - Monaco (finalists?)

As you can see, French clubs not getting to the last 16 is a very recent phenomenon.

England's record over this period is the same.
Dil
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Ahem:

As you can see, French clubs not getting to the last 16 is a very recent phenomenon.

England's record over this period is the same.
France have much more depth in their league.... I have a feeling that their top 6/7 teams would fare better in a league format against the Premiership's top 6/7... Monaco and Marseille have already proved it against Chelsea and Liverpool this season
slim786
Report 15 years ago
[QUOTE=Lord Huntroyde]Ahem:

How can u say that. Man U have reached last 16 last 8 years in a row better than any team in champs league bar probably real madrid. Arsenal have a decent record as well. Then the odd year e.g Leeds get to semi finals. Marseille can be discounted as there chairman was later found to be match fixing and cheating thus them getting chucked out of french premiership.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Dil)
France have much more depth in their league.... I have a feeling that their top 6/7 teams would fare better in a league format against the Premiership's top 6/7... Monaco and Marseille have already proved it against Chelsea and Liverpool this season
They do have a lot of depth and Le Championnet is very well respected eveywhere bar certain parts of UK-Learning, it seems.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (91)
33.83%
No I don't (126)
46.84%
I work during the holidays (52)
19.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed