The Ultimate Football Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
slim786
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
If u looked at the quality of players in top french sides to that of english sides there is a marked difference. Marlet a Fulham reject is now a main striker at marseille. Van buyten again of marseille can only get teams like man city in for him.
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by slim786)

How can u say that. Man U have reached last 16 last 8 years in a row better than any team in champs league bar probably real madrid. Arsenal have a decent record as well. Then the odd year e.g Leeds get to semi finals. Marseille can be discounted as there chairman was later found to be match fixing and cheating thus them getting chucked out of french premiership.
Man Utd are one team and their success is very recent. Indeed, your argument benefits the French league as they have had several different temas in the last 8 over the past 12 years, England has been able to provide one consistent one so far.

As you can see my table only included last eight, I will provide you with a table of last 16 if you wish.
material breach
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Monaco are not a great team. I would reserve the term great for teams like the Real Madrid team just after the end of the war, like the young Ajax team which had davids, kulivert, seedorf, kanu ect. Busby's babes are another example and the Liverpool team of the 80's. On this scale Monaco are far from great. They play very well as a team and the team is greater than its individual parts. They also played with alot of passion in the 2nd half. There is obviously great team unity. However given that one of their best players is on loan and alot of the players are only average european players i certainly wouldnt call them a great team.
slim786
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
They do have a lot of depth and Le Championnet is very well respected eveywhere bar certain parts of UK-Learning, it seems.
How come all the top french players leave if the league is so great? How come no top players from europe want to sign for a french club?
LH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
If u looked at the quality of players in top french sides to that of english sides there is a marked difference. Marlet a Fulham reject is now a main striker at marseille. Van buyten again of marseille can only get teams like man city in for him.
Marlet is not a Fulham reject, he simply didn't fit in with the style of play, he is still a very good striker.

Some Premiership players would struggle in Le Championnet due to the playing style being different, this proves nothing.
slim786
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Speciez99)
Monaco are not a great team. I would reserve the term great for teams like the Real Madrid team just after the end of the war, like the young Ajax team which had davids, kulivert, seedorf, kanu ect. Busby's babes are another example and the Liverpool team of the 80's. On this scale Monaco are far from great. They play very well as a team and the team is greater than its individual parts. They also played with alot of passion in the 2nd half. There is obviously great team unity. However given that one of their best players is on loan and alot of the players are only average european players i certainly wouldnt call them a great team.
Finally someone who understands what a great team is.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
How come all the top french players leave if the league is so great? How come no top players from europe want to sign for a french club?
Because the French league is the last to become money-based, French players left for the high salaries of England, Spain and Italy, the French cared more for the football than the money and the salaries are only just beginning to catch up.
slim786
Report 15 years ago
Marlet is not a Fulham reject, he simply didn't fit in with the style of play, he is still a very good striker.

Some Premiership players would struggle in Le Championnet due to the playing style being different, this proves nothing.
Well u still haven't replied about the reason why french teams struggle in the champions league. For one team to reach last 16 in last 6 years is very poor.
slim786
Report 15 years ago
Because the French league is the last to become money-based, French players left for the high salaries of England, Spain and Italy, the French cared more for the football than the money and the salaries are only just beginning to catch up.
No more like the quality of football is better. If u won't take my word for it then listen to pundits who talk about the premiership, serie A and la liga to have the best quality.
theaman
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Wasn't Henry at Moanco before he joined Arsenal?

Don't think he was a flop!

Some players can get used to stykles of play in different leagues, others can't.

The only way that players and teams can be compared in a way is in the Champions League.
mc_watson87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
But they are playing "great" football at the moment, and if u beg to differ then look at their recent results.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I am not arguing that they are as great as those teams, that would be ridiculous, but I am saying it is foolish to dismiss them as 'lucky'.
slim786
Report 15 years ago
[QUOTE=theaman]Wasn't Henry at Moanco before he joined Arsenal?

Don't think he was a flop!

Some players can get used to stykles of play in different leagues, others can't.

Henry improved after he left monaco once he got to arsenal like vieira and petit did because arsene wenger is a great manager.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well u still haven't replied about the reason why french teams struggle in the champions league. For one team to reach last 16 in last 6 years is very poor.
I did reply showing that French teams have a better record over the past decade than English the league!
slim786
Report 15 years ago
I am not arguing that they are as great as those teams, that would be ridiculous, but I am saying it is foolish to dismiss them as 'lucky'.
Who called them lucky? You seem to continously put words in peoples mouths.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
No more like the quality of football is better. If u won't take my word for it then listen to pundits who talk about the premiership, serie A and la liga to have the best quality.
You can't make a statement like that without much more in depth consideration of the two leagues.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Who called them lucky? You seem to continously put words in peoples mouths.
You don't seem to understand that several words can have similar meanings.
slim786
Report 15 years ago
I did reply showing that French teams have a better record over the past decade than English the league!
You are mistaken once again. Firstly u took a 12 year period including 7 teams. Just taking Man U alone it is equivalent to 8teams in 8yrs.
mc_watson87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
These kinda teams aren't great, they are legendary! Great is a bit worse than them.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
You are mistaken once again. Firstly u took a 12 year period including 7 teams. Just taking Man U alone it is equivalent to 8teams in 8yrs.
All that proves is that one team dominated English football - not the signs of a brilliant league.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (208)
49.29%
No (48)
11.37%
I'm not old enough (166)
39.34%

Watched Threads