Reply 16641
mc_watson87
I reckon:

Dudek

Finnan Carragher Hyypia Traore

Garcia Gerrard Alonso Riise

Kewell

Cisse

It's so ridiculously hard to tell. In reality, it's the toss-up between Hamann and Kewell. I really think that we need Hamann against them, to keep hold of Kaka and do the job he did so amazingly well against Chelsea. We need his presence to protect the back 4, as Carragher, Hyypia & Traore are not by any stretch of the imagination quick players. Cut off Kaka, and we essentially cut off the supply to Shevchenko and co. If they're allowed to get into it, we're screwed.

At the same time, if we want to score, we're going to have to attack their back line at pace. They've got an aging, slowing defence - who I'm sure we can run rings around. BUT, if we want to have any chance, it's going to have to be pass-and-move, instead of long balls up to a lone forward. So that's the idea behind slotting Kewell into the hole. At the end of the day, the only way I can see us winning this is to blitz and keep at it, just like against Juve. It scared me to see how agressively and viciously we fought - and Juve's defense > AC Milan's defense. The only thing is that we eventually got tired against Juve, and they started to get back into it. Luckily, we have plenty of attacking options on the bench, what with Baros (or Cisse), Nunez, Le Tallec etc.

Either we sacrifice the necessary protection (Hamann), or we sacrifice the necessary attacking bite (Kewell). I don't see the other players being changed around, unless Riise's dropped back to LB with Kewell on the wing and we play a 442, or we have a christmas tree formation. I don't see Gerrard being dropped, as he's captain, and Alonso is too vital a player for this match. It'll be his passing that will open up Milan's defense.
Kewell just turns up when he wants doesn't he
Reply 16643
oblivious
Kewell just turns up when he wants doesn't he

Yeh, that's the biggest problem with him. But he looked bright against Villa, and worked well with Cisse. He's our best hope to bridge the gap between midfield and attack, and Gerrard should play where he's best - box-to-box midfielder. He's least effective as an AM, before he can't get that grip on the game - tackling, passing, driving, shooting. He's got some pretty insane strength and force, but he's not the most technically gifted player on our books... :rolleyes:
Reply 16644
I think Mikey's right. That's the team they showed on sky sports news.

Personally, I'd pick Hamman over Kewell in an instant. But maybe that's just me. I'd feel quite sorry for Baros missing out.
Raindance
It's so ridiculously hard to tell. In reality, it's the toss-up between Hamann and Kewell. I really think that we need Hamann against them, to keep hold of Kaka and do the job he did so amazingly well against Chelsea. We need his presence to protect the back 4, as Carragher, Hyypia & Traore are not by any stretch of the imagination quick players. Cut off Kaka, and we essentially cut off the supply to Shevchenko and co. If they're allowed to get into it, we're screwed.

At the same time, if we want to score, we're going to have to attack their back line at pace. They've got an aging, slowing defence - who I'm sure we can run rings around. BUT, if we want to have any chance, it's going to have to be pass-and-move, instead of long balls up to a lone forward. So that's the idea behind slotting Kewell into the hole. At the end of the day, the only way I can see us winning this is to blitz and keep at it, just like against Juve. It scared me to see how agressively and viciously we fought - and Juve's defense > AC Milan's defense. The only thing is that we eventually got tired against Juve, and they started to get back into it. Luckily, we have plenty of attacking options on the bench, what with Baros (or Cisse), Nunez, Le Tallec etc.

Either we sacrifice the necessary protection (Hamann), or we sacrifice the necessary attacking bite (Kewell). I don't see the other players being changed around, unless Riise's dropped back to LB with Kewell on the wing and we play a 442, or we have a christmas tree formation. I don't see Gerrard being dropped, as he's captain, and Alonso is too vital a player for this match. It'll be his passing that will open up Milan's defense.

Nice summary! :tsr:

As you sey it is pretty much impossible to guess...
But with Kewell playing, he can always drop off to the left wing and Risse can move back to provide extra cover ova dangerous times. I think Kewell will be jus above Hamann, but he might start with Hamann as the safer option, and then change it later in the gmae.

The best way to counter Milan is with quick, possesive, in your face football... tho Hamann wud help em to get the ball back get the move going, I jus think Kewell wud be betta suited in the team. (Not sure tho *-) )
Reply 16646
mc_watson87
Nice summary! :tsr:

As you sey it is pretty much impossible to guess...
But with Kewell playing, he can always drop off to the left wing and Risse can move back to provide extra cover ova dangerous times. I think Kewell will be jus above Hamann, but he might start with Hamann as the safer option, and then change it later in the gmae.

The best way to counter Milan is with quick, possesive, in your face football... tho Hamann wud help em to get the ball back get the move going, I jus think Kewell wud be betta suited in the team. (Not sure tho *-) )

Agreed. At the end of the day, we need a massive midfield performance. Gerrard may have to be disciplined, and pick up Kaka himself. Or Xabi for that matter. Beni was bang on when he said that we shouldn't be concentrating on Shevchenko - they've got far too many other threats to nullify. I'm banking on the fact that Milan will be physically and mentally drained from having so many more games in the run up to the final, plus the fact that they'll have had a pretty big psychological blow because of losing Serie A to Juve. Liverpool, on the other hand, have had 10 days to condition themselves after the Villa game - and even then about half of the XI were rested. We should bein much better shape to give them a physical game. The ref's the same one we had against Olympiacos btw, and he's Spanish! :biggrin:

I'm so tense... how on earth will i sleep tonight? Especially as I've got French tomorrow morning! :eek: :frown:
Reply 16647
mc_watson87
I reckon:

Dudek

Finnan_____Carragher_____ Hyypia _____Traore

Garcia _____Gerrard_____ Alonso_____ Riise

___________Kewell

Cisse

I like it, I like it. But here's another Riise classic... you reckon we'll get treated to the full monty if we win? :wink:

I wonder what Lord Cisse has planned for his hair tonight?
Cisse reminds me of Abel Xavier, another Liverpool player that has fancy hair styles. :eek:
Raindance
Agreed. At the end of the day, we need a massive midfield performance. Gerrard may have to be disciplined, and pick up Kaka himself. Or Xabi for that matter. Beni was bang on when he said that we shouldn't be concentrating on Shevchenko - they've got far too many other threats to nullify. I'm banking on the fact that Milan will be physically and mentally drained from having so many more games in the run up to the final, plus the fact that they'll have had a pretty big psychological blow because of losing Serie A to Juve. Liverpool, on the other hand, have had 10 days to condition themselves after the Villa game - and even then about half of the XI were rested. We should bein much better shape to give them a physical game. The ref's the same one we had against Olympiacos btw, and he's Spanish! :biggrin:

I'm so tense... how on earth will i sleep tonight? Especially as I've got French tomorrow morning! :eek: :frown:

Lol, Good luck for both! :top:
Is he the ref that thinks all hard challenges are fouls tho? :eek:

Raindance
I like it, I like it. But here's another Riise classic... you reckon we'll get treated to the full monty if we win?

I wonder what Lord Cisse has planned for his hair tonight?

Hahaha, I hope not! :eek:
Reply 16650
mc_watson87

Cheers, I/we'll need it! I don't think he's too bad, but he didn't give us a blatantly penalty against Olympiacos. Either way, he's going to have to recognise that this won't be a match where both teams will stand off each other.

He's such a legend... a team can't be complete until you've got a ginger norwegian stripper on the wing! :p: :wink:
On the betting thing I said a 90 min draw, but only because it's really too close to call and it was good odds.

I actually think Liverpool might do it. They've done well in europe, they haven't just got to the final on luck, they defended solidly against the likes of Juventus and Chelsea, so if they get a goal their defence might win them the game if they're all of form, which they should be, they're well rested.

But if AC Milan get off to a good start and are on form it could be a long night for England. :rolleyes:
NDGAARONDI
I was referring to the fair play league alone...

Even if Arsenal had matched their unbeaten run of last season this year they would still be three points behind Chelsea right now in the table. This was way back in April/May so they'd be a lot more points difference now. I should work it out by taking what Arsenal average point per game before Old Trafford and compare it to what Chelsea did.

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/3560718

ERm...nooooo hon...U DIDNT get my point..we were on a roll BEFORE that Man U match and lacked the confidence owing to that for about 3 months after..we had SUCH a bad run after that...THAT match was the turning point of our and YOUR season..IF we HADN'T lost...I think we would have done A HELL OF A LOT better..and won more matches....well done for Man U winning us in dat match though... :wink:

I wasn't insinuating they wud've carried there unbeaten run on..that would have been impossible...BUT IF we hadn't lost to Man U..I think it wud have REALLY been neck and neck for the title!!! :p: Dunt treat me like a dumbass baby..I always feel belittled by u.... :frown: :redface: I KNOW A HELL of a lot more about footy then YOU think.... :mad:

COME ON LIVERPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLL....bring back the glory days...5th European Cup...in the year 05? :wink: :biggrin: COME ON..... :biggrin:
mc_watson87

I agree....Riise in his 'birthday suit'..nah..leave THAT for behind clothes doors!!! :p:
Arsenal would probably still have come second even if they beat Man Utd on their 50th game anyway. If every team played like Utd against Arsenal in the FA Cup final, I can see more points being dropped by Arsenal.
NDGAARONDI
Arsenal would probably still have come second even if they beat Man Utd on their 50th game anyway. If every team played like Utd against Arsenal in the FA Cup final, I can see more points being dropped by Arsenal.

Arsenal let THEMSELVES down wi the way they played...they had an off-day...Man U were ACE..but it is rarely Arsenal but a lack of effort in like that!

No...I disagree IF we hadn't lost to Man U..I prob think we wud've come first..or been more in contention for it..as after that game there was a MAJOR lack in confidence and henceforth this was shown in the results AND performances! :rolleyes: DUNT get me wrong Chelsea have been ace...but Arsenal were THE best up until that game...and THAT was THE turning point fo their season! :p:
Reply 16656
Not long left. Having to keep myself busy by watching compilation videos! Having said that, I should go and do some french revision...
Reply 16657
What makes you think that Arsenal would have won all their other games even if they had beaten United? You can't blame a relatively bad season on one game. Arsenal haven't been as good as Chelsea, and that's all their is to it.

Anyway, who cares about Arsenal? :p: We have a Champions League final to discuss!
Reply 16658
Raindance
Not long left. Having to keep myself busy by watching compilation videos! Having said that, I should go and do some french revision...

Yeah, I should revise too. But I keep watching Sky Sports news instead!

WHat channel are people watching the game on? Sky or ITV?
~Sam~
Yeah, I should revise too. But I keep watching Sky Sports news instead!

WHat channel are people watching the game on? Sky or ITV?

Did ya hear that apparently the Italian prime minister has the final say on the Milan team rather than Ancelloti! :eek:

Latest