The Ultimate Football Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Rainy
Badges: 14
Report 14 years ago
When you're playing 16 games more than the team you're competing against, of course the Premier League will be a harder test.
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by tis_me_lord)
Well, you get a team on bad form, and get some lucky goals and bam, you're racing through the stages.

In the league the matches themselves may be easier but it requires far more consistantly.

From an unbiased standpoint I'd say Man U, Chelsea etc are clearly better than Liverpool and it shows from the point difference in the league. Getting Juve on bad form, and a dubious goal vs Chelsea changes nothing.

It's like saying Wolves are amazing because they beat Man U 2 seasons ago.
Yeh... very lucky. That must be how lucky Liverpool are the lucky Champions of Europe. Wow, 15 lucky games? That's pretty lucky to have won almost all by lucky goals then. :rolleyes:
jamlan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well, you get a team on bad form, and get some lucky goals and bam, you're racing through the stages.

In the league the matches themselves may be easier but it requires far more consistantly.

From an unbiased standpoint I'd say Man U, Chelsea etc are clearly better than Liverpool and it shows from the point difference in the league. Getting Juve on bad form, and a dubious goal vs Chelsea changes nothing.

Yeah we caught Juventus, Chelsea AND AC Milan on bad form. Enough about th dubious goal! The ref has actually said that he feels he may hav done Chelsea a favour by allowing th goal and not awarding a pen and sending Cech off. How is that lucky for us?
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by jamlan)
Yeah we caught Juventus, Chelsea AND AC Milan on bad form. Enough about th dubious goal! The ref has actually said that he feels he may hav done Chelsea a favour by allowing th goal and not awarding a pen and sending Cech off. How is that lucky for us?
You're forgetting that we beat Juventus, Chelsea and Leverkusen over two legs because they were unlucky. That's forgetting Depor, Olympiacos & Monaco.
El Stevo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
you get the injuries the likes liverpool have had this season. bam! season goes down the pan.

agreed

in head to head games the liverpool chelsea game is very different. first meeting - c1-0l, very close game, settled by a fortunate joe cole goal. second game, c1-0l. even first half. liverpool dominated the second half. lampard ended alonso's usefulness for the season. liverpool denied penalty claims. chelsea broke with joe cole to score. carling cup - c3-2l. liverpool storm to early lead. hardly on the back foot for the duration of the game. chelsea get break with stevie og. take lead. liverpool claw back. score again. very good game, nothing really between the sides. cl first leg, 0-0, liverpool outplayed chelsea, second game liverpool outplayed chelsea. so what the goal was dubious. ending isnt my point. my point is that out of 5 games, there were no walkovers.

hardly
kenaldo
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
Agree 100%, premier league is the real test

The champions league is no more a test of who is the best team in europe, than the FA cup is a test of the best team in england. Were millwall realy englands 2nd best team a cople of years back?
tis_me_lord
Report 14 years ago
I knew I'd get a bunch of Liverpool fan questioning that. Come on, in the early stages you're playing worse teams who you'd expect to beat. Leverkusen played TERRIBLY. Juventus were really off form, Chelsea were pretty poor and AC Milan went crap after your comeback.

My point is that ANYONE can beat AC Milan in a final, or Chelsea in an semi. Man City beat Chelsea in the league, but it doesn't mean they deserve to be in the champions league does it.

The fact is you got less points than Everton, and loads of points below the big 3... it's quite clear that you didn't play well enough this season to earn your place in it.

Are you saying that if a team like Arsenal now only concentrated on winning the euro cup, but lost all of the league games in doing so, they should be allowed to play in it the next season?
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Woohoo someone who talks sense!
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Raindance)
When you're playing 16 games more than the team you're competing against, of course the Premier League will be a harder test.
Your squad is double the size!
fernando
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kenaldo)
Agree 100%, premier league is the real test

The champions league is no more a test of who is the best team in europe, than the FA cup is a test of the best team in england. Were millwall realy englands 2nd best team a cople of years back?
and if we go buy this rule then Burnley > Liverpool and Arsenal would be no. 1 in England
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by afireinside©)
Your squad is double the size!
Well no, it isn't. Especially when you consider many of them are either injured, have attitude problems, cup tied and/or loaned out.
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Raindance)
Well no, it isn't. Especially when you consider many of them are either injured, have attitude problems, cup tied and/or loaned out.
It's a lot larger, that's for sure!
El Stevo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
how boring and predictable would life be if the acknowledged best won everything? the winners may not always be the best, but more than 99 times out of 100 in leagues, cups etc, the winners deserve to win.
idiopathic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I knew I'd get a bunch of Liverpool fan questioning that. Come on, in the early stages you're playing worse teams who you'd expect to beat. Leverkusen played TERRIBLY. Juventus were really off form, Chelsea were pretty poor and AC Milan went crap after your comeback.

My point is that ANYONE can beat AC Milan in a final, or Chelsea in an semi. Man City beat Chelsea in the league, but it doesn't mean they deserve to be in the champions league does it.

The fact is you got less points than Everton, and loads of points below the big 3... it's quite clear that you didn't play well enough this season to earn your place in it.

Are you saying that if a team like Arsenal now only concentrated on winning the euro cup, but lost all of the league games in doing so, they should be allowed to play in it the next season?
So who is there left to beat if all those were on poor form? :rolleyes:
jamlan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

It's funny how they all played badly against us. What a crazy coincidence!
Can anybody beat Leverkusen, then Juventus, then Chelsea, then Milan (albeit on pens)?
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by El Stevo)
how boring and predictable would life be if the acknowledged best won everything? the winners may not always be the best, but more than 99 times out of 100 in leagues, cups etc, the winners deserve to win.
Precisely. Chelsea are the acknowledges best club in the league, on paper. Why don't we just give them the quad? Liverpool are better, on paper, than Everton. In fact, why bother with the league? Why bother with football at all? We can have a: 'see how deep your owner's pocket is' competition to see who'd be able to buy the best players to make the club 'better', on paper. :rolleyes:

We don't care how we've won it. We have no way done it the easy way. We've beaten the best, we've shown real passion, both as a team and as a club. We've got the results, everyone else hasn't. 'Nuff sad.
tis_me_lord
Report 14 years ago
It's funny how they all played badly against us. What a crazy coincidence!
Can anybody beat Leverkusen, then Juventus, then Chelsea, then Milan (albeit on pens)?
On those forms I think dozens of sides could, actually.

I think you need to realise that when playing 4 sides you did well, when facing dozens you did badly, and the overall message of that is that you're not good enough for the champions league next season.

It's not like I'm biased, I support Bath City, I'm only applying common sense to this. :rolleyes:
mc_watson87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
On those forms I think dozens of sides could, actually.

I think you need to realise that when playing 4 sides you did well, when facing dozens you did badly, and the overall message of that is that you're not good enough for the champions league next season.

It's not like I'm biased, I support Bath City, I'm only applying common sense to this. :rolleyes:
Your opinions sound like you didn't even watch their games.

Easily deserve to be in the Champions League final! I wudn't bet against them winning it again!
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I really can't wait for next season.

Oh, and this'll be a first, I bet you Liverpool fans agree with me! :p:
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Oh, and please stop this rubbish about it being a foul by Cech and a sending off - had Mr Frisk been in charge then Baros would have found himself being booked for a high foot, just like Drogba was in the Nou Camp. The goal should not have stood, it would not have been a penalty (as the ref has stated), and the match would have been completely different as Liverpool wouldn't have been able to "park the bus" in front of the goal.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (91)
33.58%
No I don't (127)
46.86%
I work during the holidays (53)
19.56%

Watched Threads