The Ultimate Football Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
sb1986
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
I know, that really confused me at first!
i wanted him to score, lol imagine 'and thats benitez with a bycicle kick straight into the top left hand corner, past carson'
Xenon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
What is t with England and goalies? If Robinson isn't available, we have catastrophie James, who seems to make at least one mistake per game, and although he new goalie made a few good saves, his handling wasn't great.
jamlan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
What is t with England and goalies? If Robinson isn't available, we have catastrophie James, who seems to make at least one mistake per game, and although he new goalie made a few good saves, his handling wasn't great.
He did make some good saves, and his handling wasn't bad. There was that one error, when he didn't stop th pass across th 6 yard box, i think th ball went under him. Made a good save from a header, couldn't do anything about their goal, was comfortable with th crosses
sb1986
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
just have carson as no.1!
Jump
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Oh ****!

Just realised I completely missed the game...I am a real disgrace of a footy fan
Rainy
Badges: 14
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Jump)
Oh ****!

Just realised I completely missed the game...I am a real disgrace of a footy fan
Tut tut. In which case, you missed the absolutely travesty of Phil Neville captaining the team for the last quarter. Armband should have been given to Cole. I don't even know why they bother taking 'Calamity James' on tour, he demonstrated why he's lost his place to Robinson. If anyone watched his time at Liverpool, you'd see why. Green should have started, and Carson should have been given a half to get blooded in.

As for the team, it was painfully obvious how inexperienced it was. Apart from Cole, our defense was a mess. Absolutely no communication, which led to their first goal and there were quite a few lucky escapes when trying to spring the offside trap. They couldn't pick up their men, their positioning was out, and their anticipation showed why they won't get many more games for england. However, this was their first game together, and a lot can be put down to nerves. I would have liked Ashley Cole to have taken charge, and structured our defense.

Midfield showed positives and negatives. The positive was definitely our wing players. Beckham seems to have regained his form: decent crosses, tracking back to defensive duties and was busy. Joe Cole was confident on the ball and didn't give the ball away easily, he looks liek our best option on the elft side of midfield. Richardson looks to be another plus, and always wanted to be on the ball. Looks like a strong contender for a 2006 place.
Into the centre midfield, we've definitely highlighted a few questions. To start with Jenas, he did his job. Went forward (without offering much), and tracked back (without offering much). He'll never break the grip of either of Gerrard or Lampard. Carrick's the interesting question. He's had a good couple of games for england now, and had a reasonable season at Tottenham. Did his job well - broke up plenty of their attacks, kept it simple, and shielded our rpetty inept back line. The question is: can he do a job for england? In our current formation, playing him in the 1st XI would mean dropping the undroppables of Gerrard and Lampard. I've said many times before this match that as they are not sufficientely defensively disciplined, there will be gaping holes between the midfield and the defense. Carrick would fill this hole. BUT at the expense of either of Gerrard or Lampard, or we change our formation to a 4-5-1 or 3-5-2, which would create other questions as to strikers, defenders etc.We'll have to see what Sven does with this one. Anyway, I'd take Carrick to Germany, and Jena might as well come for a ride if there's space.

Moving on to strikers, we already know what the 1st strike partnership is. Owen has cemented his place, with his off-the-ball movement, finishing and experience. Rooney will also inevitably start. The interesting question is that of the supporting strikers. Defoe, although absent last night, has undoubted talent. I must say that both Smith and AJ don't look comfortable. Smith lacks games under his belt at Manchester United, and I just don't think that AJ can cope at this level. I actually thought that Crouch showed his worth last night: his footwork was good, awareness was top notch, and he was always going to win his share of balls in the air. Linked very nicely with Owen as well. Basically, his main problems are his touch and his lack of pace, meaning that he is relatively easily displaced. For a debutant, I thought he had a very good game.

Incidentally, this is true passion and love of his club.
DOJO
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Raindance)
Incidentally, this is true passion and love of his club.
....unlike Kewell lol

I really hope hamann does not leave the club, he is such a good defensive holding player.
m:)ckel
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...al/4598713.stm

Now I really don't see that happening.
But what really interests me is, "There is speculation Barcelona striker Samuel Eto'o could leave the club after reports of a fall out with Rijkaard."

Now that is very intriguing indeed...
sb1986
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Malta FA chief says UEFA cant change the rules to allow us in, what does he know, the top people have already said we 'must' be in it.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ol/4598737.stm
Also in The Times it says Bolton are willing to pay MORE then £5m for diouf! We must have threatened to keep him if they dont pay atleast half of what we did!

And I didnt mention Aimar wants to come liverpool. £10m?
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by sb1986)
just have carson as no.1!
Nah Lenny Pidgeley.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
lol =\ Do you pronounce him the same as Gerrard?
Yes.
sb1986
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Reds in for bolo zenden

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/mediawatch...50601-1052.htm
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Bolton are after Benni McCarthy apparently. :eek:
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yay gonna be well exciting seeing all the transfer comings and goings! :cool:
Jump
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by afireinside©)
Yay gonna be well exciting seeing all the transfer comings and goings! :cool:
indeed... although Utd won't be splashing out
Rainy
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Jump)
Well, maybe on a few palacial mansions for Mr Glazer? Bring on the ManUSA Bucaneers! :rolleyes: :p:

I feel for you, I really do.
Ziggy Stardust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Jump)
Well.. just the 10m to Everton this summer
Lil' Miss Smiley
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I wonder what the outcome will be today for Jose and Ashley Cole? A slap on the wrist and a big juicey fine???
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Or a big juicey fine + points off =')
sb1986
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i bet its just a warning or a fine, the FA are dum
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (11)
42.31%
No (9)
34.62%
I'm not old enough (6)
23.08%

Watched Threads